mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New 2013 Epic - Down-tube protector included or is this an add on?

I was wondering if anyone here has a 2013 Epic, and if so, do you have a down-tube protector like in the picture? This came with my new bike, and it is more than plastic tape. It is like a hard plastic shell. It matches the color of the bike, says Specialized on it, and protects the BB area too. Never seen this and I'm curious if this is a Specialized part or rather something the dealer may have done. I asked one person there at the shop, but he did not know.

Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Alrighty then. I thought someone here would surely know. Bump.

There's always next year.
    Patience! 3 hours isn't too long to wait for an answer online :-) The tape protection you're talking about is a Specialized thing. It came installed out of the box on mine, and I have an additional roll that came with the manual and small parts with the bike. Between that and cables running outside the down tube, its been rather effective from what I can tell on my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Mine is not tape. Its a hard shell. It covers the whole downtube as well as BB area. I have other Specialized bikes with clear tape. This is different. Im stumped.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i have one too on my Epic carbon expert plus one that came with the box like padrefan1982 said i havenīt thought of it as you describe like a hard shell i have to investigate this further

mtbr member
    Its a Specialized part I which they included with all their bikes!

I bought one from a buddy with an Epic and put it on my Enduro Evo to protect it from rocks at Whistler and that. His Epic has one on it, and came with a 2nd one. It worked perfect and kept my frame chip and ding free!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I bought a 2014 S-Works Epic frameset a few months ago and a 2013 Epic Comp Carbon complete bike in July 2013 and neither one came with this hard plastic protector. Both had the standard heavy flexible clear tape protector applied with an extra one in the box. Both bikes were purchased from a retail dealer store.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey everyone. To clarify, perhaps I described it incorrectly. It may in fact be a thick tape of sorts as several of you have described. Mine feels like a "shell", especially around the BB area where you can feel the edge. It seems pretty stout. Mine is painted to match the bike. Please let me know if others have this, and sorry it I did not describe it well. Hopefully the pictures will help clarify.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2013 Epic - Down-tube protector included or is this an add on?-dsc_7793.jpg  

New 2013 Epic - Down-tube protector included or is this an add on?-dsc_7794.jpg  

mtbr member
    If anyone has an extra clear protector from 2011 to 13 SW Epic they don't need, I could use a new one on my 2011 SW Epic.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    I see them on ebay often. They go for around $10. A Spesh dealer might be able to order them too.

I put one on my Enduro Evo and the holes didnt line up so I had to do a little trimming, but the one I got for my 26" StumpJumper lines up almost perfect.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Hey everyone. To clarify, perhaps I described it incorrectly. It may in fact be a thick tape of sorts as several of you have described. Mine feels like a "shell", especially around the BB area where you can feel the edge. It seems pretty stout. Mine is painted to match the bike. Please let me know if others have this, and sorry it I did not describe it well. Hopefully the pictures will help clarify.
    Yup-- mine's similar, just color coded to my frame's colors. Same thing, just different ways of describing it. Love it to pieces.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks again for the replies. I would agree it is a nice piece that should offer some protection. I had never seen it before. My older Stumpy just had clear tape.

You will need to watch it though. Mine is just under a year old now, and the back end (behind the BB, where it tails up) has begun to pull away from the frame. I cut away a short section in hopes of keeping the rest from pulling away as well. I don't know if that's par for the course, or if I just got unlucky. Not the end of the world in any way!

I know I have the extra roll in the garage, but I'm using the original as long as I can 8-).