mtbr member

New 2012 Camber Comp, rear hub already toast?

bikenoise - YouTube

Ive been told that's what the nasty grinding sound is..

If I take the wheel off and wiggle the cassette it makes a grinding/cracking sound.. even without rotating it.

Bike is 3 weeks old.

EDIT: the noise at the beginning of the video is the camera focusing, I shot the video with a DSLR.

"2 Wycked"
    I just bought a 2012 Stumpjumper fsr 29er, and after about 4 months the rear hub was shot. Mine was doing everything you have described. Bring it in and they will warranty it with a SRAM X9. That's what they did for me and they didn't ask how, when or where. Evidently it's a big problem with the rear Hi-Lo hub. My LBS actually had them in stock specifically for the issue with that rear hub. Hope this helps.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    I just bought a 2012 Stumpjumper fsr 29er, and after about 4 months the rear hub was shot. Mine was doing everything you have described. Bring it in and they will warranty it with a SRAM X9. That's what they did for me and they didn't ask how, when or where. Evidently it's a big problem with the rear Hi-Lo hub. My LBS actually had them in stock specifically for the issue with that rear hub. Hope this helps.
    The nearest LBS that can work on it is 110 miles away..

220 miles round trip.

440 miles for trip to drop it off and trip to pick it up, they wont do it all in one day, have to verify the hub is bad, then order it.

two full days wasted in travel plus price of gas.

If the hub is bad after 3 weeks, I'm just ordering a new set of wheels, might as well make an upgrade.

And I will NEVER purchase anything from Specialized again. Piss poor quality control.

"2 Wycked"
    That sucks that you feel that way; I'm on my third Specialized bike and I've had nothing but positive experiences with them. Like I stated in my first post, Specialized is aware of the problem and offering a free upgraded rear hub to remedy the issue. When I brought my bike in to have the rear hub looked at, and it was determined that the hub was faulty, they had my bike repaired and ready for pick up the next day. I didn't have to jump through hoops and there was no warranty paperwork I had to fill out, they didn't even ask me how or why it happened. However, that is a pretty good distance to travel for a new hub, but good luck in getting your issue sorted out.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    They all do that. Roval sucks. Just break down and buy a set of Stans Crest or ARCH EX rims with the 3.30 hubs and you are done for life. Will set you back 500 then sell the Rovals for 150 - 200 depending on what day of week it is. Net investment 300 - 350. You will be glad you did. I have done it to every specialized I have which totals 3 at this point. It is just the way it is, everybody knows it, don't feel bad.