Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

New 2011 Specialized Phenom Expert Saddle!

So, After getting back into riding after a few years off, I came to realize that my saddle wasn't cutting it. I went to my Specialized dealer and got my sit bones measured and to my surprise, the number was 148. I decided to try the brand new 2011 Specialized Phenom Expert 155mm, and couldn't be happier! The difference was night and day right off the bat. This is a competitive XC saddle (I don't know the weight, but it seems lighter than my old Sell Italia Flite Gel). It's extremely low profile, with a carbon fiber re-enforced body, and hollow Ti rails.

I highly recommend this saddle, and with so many different sizes available, it can fit almost anyone! Available in 130, 143, and 155 sizes.

mtbr member
    Can you or anyone else post some pics of the 2011 Phenom saddle? I can't seem to find any pics or info but my LBS said he could order one for me. I know that they changed it a little from the previous model but would like to know how much...

mtbr member
    yeah, I will tonight. It is more low profile than the old phenoms and has a closed "back" to prevent snagging your baggy shorts.

mtbr member
    I Smell 2011's...

Scroll down towards the end of the page, I have a pic there.

mtbr member
    Here are the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2011 Specialized Phenom Expert Saddle!-048.jpg  

New 2011 Specialized Phenom Expert Saddle!-047.jpg  

New 2011 Specialized Phenom Expert Saddle!-049.jpg  

New 2011 Specialized Phenom Expert Saddle!-050.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks Zendog!

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting these. I just ordered a Henge Expert this morning after looking at the Phenom. It just looks too thin for 2+ hour rides over rocky terrain.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Woogie1
    Here are the pics.
    Looks like your bike might be a bit small for you, if you have to run the saddle that far forward on the rails.

My guess, is you will bend the rails of that saddle in no time with the way it is setup.

mtbr member
    yeah, I didn't notice that. I was set up correctly, but I took a big fall and must have jacked the saddle... and my knee...

Fat-tired Roadie
    It wouldn't look weird on a standard setback seat post, and the rails might last longer too. OP might just have long femurs.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Guess I'll be stocking up now, it looks like the Henge. My favorite saddle is the current Phenom.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Guess I'll be stocking up now, it looks like the Henge. My favorite saddle is the current Phenom.
    Spec seems to change things a lot even in the same model across years. I have an Alias saddle and it looks way different than the current one.

Sometimes I get confused on what they call things. I mean you have the SL models which were or are the top model. Now where does "Expert" fall in?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    Spec seems to change things a lot even in the same model across years. I have an Alias saddle and it looks way different than the current one.

Sometimes I get confused on what they call things. I mean you have the SL models which were or are the top model. Now where does "Expert" fall in?
    At one point didn't comp mean competitive or something like that, instead of compromise?
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    How's the saddle feel? We need a ride report. It certainly doesn't look as cool as the previous phenom but that's not really important...

SBT
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Yup. I gotta get one quick for another bike.

mtbr member
    That seat post dosnt have a lot of support for the rails, be careful, looks like you could bend them pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Ride report.... Saddle feels great, but then again that may just be because I am coming off of an ass hatchet.

No numbness, no pain, could be because of the design or the fact that it is the correct size for me.

mtbr member
    Ride report.... Saddle feels great, but then again that may just be because I am coming off of an ass hatchet.

No numbness, no pain, could be because of the design or the fact that it is the correct size for me.

Lol.. Thanks for the ride report. What kind of ass hatchet were you riding?

mtbr member
    Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel...

Genuinely sucked

mtbr member
    Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel...

Genuinely sucked
    Surprise? I have never sold a saddle as fast as I sold my Flite Genuine Gel...I only ride Phenom's now, road and mountain.

mtbr member
    I picked up the Phenom expert 143 today. I didn't put it on the scale but it seems slightly heavier that the WTB Rocket ti it's replacing but it also feels alot better than the rocket imo. I'm not saying it's a better saddle than my Rocket, it just fits my ass bones better cause it's a little bit wider..

SBT
    mtbr member
    I saw one in a shop yesterday, so after putting some ketchup on my crow, has anyone tossed one on a scale yet?

Are there going to be other models? I'm curious since this one has TI rails and was retailing for 100, while the previous TI-railed model was 150.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Mc.
    I picked up the Phenom expert 143 today. I didn't put it on the scale but it seems slightly heavier that the WTB Rocket ti it's replacing but it also feels alot better than the rocket imo. I'm not saying it's a better saddle than my Rocket, it just fits my ass bones better cause it's a little bit wider..
    How's the colonic irrigation after riding through water?

mtbr member
    I picked up a white Henge expert last week. Took it out for an hour ride this weekend and I think it's way better than a Phenom for trail use. It's not as hard on my sit bones, yet provides excellent support so you never sink into it.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=PVR]How's the colonic irrigation after riding through water?[/Q]

Very nice...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast