mtbr member
    Jul 2008

need some advice on my rockhopper

Hello im currently riding a stock 02 Rockhopper A1 Comp FSRxc and im looking to uprgrade, I dont really have any idea where to start and I dont know much about aftermarket parts. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Are you upgrading components? or the whole bike?

Is this your bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The componets, sorry about the confusion

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So what are you looking for in an upgrade? Strength for descents? light weight for xc? Are you trying to fix something you don't like? What kind of budget are you on? Tell us what you're looking for, and we can start making suggestions.

In general, is anything broken or worn out? That's your starting point for an upgrade. After that, I'd say change out the shocks, front and rear. Then convert to disc brakes. Then upgrade the shifters and (depending on condition) derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well I'm not a big fan of the v breaks or the front shocks, so I was thinking probably to start there idk I guess I can spend a few hundred bucks but I dont really want to put like anything more then like 3-400 I guess losing some wieght wouldnt hurt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Mechanical disc brakes usually suffices for cross country rigs. On that note the avid bb7s are pretty cheap and work great. That may involve changing your wheelset if it doesnt come disc ready. I think you can either go brakes or fork. I don't think your budget will allow both unless you're getting gear used.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    well what fork would you reccomend I can probably get both

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    what do you want out of your fork? Do you want to keep to keep the same travel? Do you want to make it a better descender? I prefer descending, but im not really a xc rider. Longest travel i would go with is 120mm, 100 would be a sweet spot.

The dart2 is a pretty crappy fork from what i hear. If you have the money you can get a fox 32 that suites your needs. Some are air some are coil, some have travel adjust. Rockshox Recon would also be an option. These are the two major manufacturers at the moment.

I have a Fox float 32 130mm, i cant seem to get full travel out of it, but i think it's model specific issue. So far mazocchi seems to be getting a bad rap, manitou isnt as popular, but i dont hear much negative comments about them.

People also find magura to be a good reliable fork along with fox and rockshox.

I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks alot dude, I will look into them I'm def leaning twoards a air fork and I might try and get that fox

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by paintballer930
    well what fork would you reccomend I can probably get both
    Check out Jenson USA- Marzocchi XC 700 100mm. Its an 07 closeout model for $259. Awesome fork form the money.

Weekend Warrior
    I'd go with a Fox from eBay or a Recon. Or maybe you can find a sale on a new one somewhere. I understand the comment about the Dart being crappy. I like my Dart 3, BUT i rode a 4 year old Dart and that thing completely sucked. Maybe it was worn out or a different design. I got the 08 model on mine. Of course I want more and I've been eyeballing a Fox on eBay. I was even looking at some Tora shox (302) but I'm not sure if it's an upgrade to what I already have.

If your bike was made for 100mm, stick with 100mm shock. The riding style changes dramatically once you go higher or lower to what it was designed for. I would love to get an adjustable one (80-120mm or so), this way you can choose what you want to ride, and for regular XC riding you can always return it to the standard 100mm.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The Rockshox Tora 318 is the high-end Tora. The U-turn model is adjustable from 85-130mm but weighs 5.3 lbs !!!. It's a spring shock with oil damping and (I hear) is a great fork.

The Tora 318 solo air (which I have) weighs 4 lbs (same as your shock) and I love it. It's an air shock that allows 80, 100, or 120 mm travel, adjustable by changing or removing a spacer. The Reba is supposed to be an upgrade, but I haven't tried it.

For all air shocks, get a quality shock pump. Expect to pay $40-50. Don't cheese out on the pump (like I did), or you'll have to buy twice. My cheap pump is inaccurate by over 50 psi and loses a ton of air when you unscrew it from the shock.