mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Need parts.......

I have to replace my drivetrain on my 07 Enduro SL (cassette, chain). Everything is stock on the bike right now but I am looking to upgrade/add on. What I would like to do is in addition to the cassette/chain, I would also like to remove the big chainring and replace with a bashguard. Any bashguards better than others? Would it be ok to buy used? Also want to get a chain tensioner. (Is this the same as a chain guide?...if not, what is the difference?) Also considering going tubeless. Any opinions there? The stock cassette is an 11-34t. What does it mean if I switch to possibly 11-32 or even 11-26? Does it make riding uphill easier or harder? Any and all info is appreciated!!!

cougarbait
    -you likely won't notice much of a difference between 32/34T on that bike. go for a 32T to shed a couple grams. I recommend PG980. PG990 or XTR if you are made out of money.
    -chain.. only choice is KMC X9 SL
    I have tried E13 and Raceface bashguards.. I liked the e13 better because it was not metal. used is fine as long as it doesn't have a giant crack or is warped
    a chain tensioner actually puts tension on the chain whereas a chainguide simply has a slot that the chain guides through. you will need a shift guide if you plan on keeping your front der.
    tubeless is great. go ghetto tubeless with gorilla tape and stan's sealant
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the info. Why is the XTR so much more expensive than the others? last longer? shift smoother? Are there different size bash guards? If so, any idea what size I would need?

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd11
    Thanks for the info. Why is the XTR so much more expensive than the others? last longer? shift smoother? Are there different size bash guards? If so, any idea what size I would need?
    it's light. some people say it shifts smoother and wears slower but that is arguable
    you need the size that corresponds to your middle chainring size (e.g. if you have a 32T middle ring then you need a 32T bash)
    09AS-Rsl/09Six