Weekend Warrior

Need new bike Suggestion

My Brother-In-Law wants to get into biking. He rented a top of the line bike a while ago and now wants something really nice for $400... don't we all...

Anyways, He's trying to stay around $400 (+/- $50 just for the bike, equipment is extra). He would like to get disk brakes, but I think it's more the look that attracts him. I was thinking of the Hardrock, but the Comp Disk is $550, but then there is the HRXC with disk for $420. Should he go with the Hardrock non-disk or is the HRXC gonna be fine. He weighs 218lbs and is not in shape. 5 years ago he was 175lbs and was jogging for miles and lifting weights. So I think he should jump right back into shape within a year or so.

Or should he go with another brand to get him into the price range?

Any help is appreciated; he's getting the bike in the next couple of days.

Weekend Warrior
    P.S.: I just looked at the Giant Rincon and it seems to make more sense than the HRXC or the Hardrock!?

Weekend Warrior
    Still need some suggestions, please!

mtbr member
    I think the Hardrock Comp Disc is the way to go for him, if you're deciding between the two Spec. It's a bit sturdier in case he decides to do a bit more challenging trails in the future and not too bad for some general commuting as well. It's got BB5s, so a bit better than the Tektros on the HXC model. There's a lot of great HTs out there for a $500 range though, but the Hardrock should do everything that a beginner wants...and then some.

Weekend Warrior
    Cool thanks....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    He rented a top of the line bike a while ago ...
    Oh my. There's trouble. Gotta watch those high-end bikes. I borrowed a high-end bike once, and my budget just hasn't been the same since .

Not sure what to suggest for your brother-in-law. I like the Hardrock over the HRXC. Partly that's for looks, and partly the Hardrock seems more "solid" to me. But it might come down the sort of riding your in-law plans to do.