Ridin in UT

Need help with wheel selection

Ok - loaded question coming up: I haven't actually weighed the stock wheels on my 06 enduro expert, but from what I've read it sounds like I may be able to knock off a pound in the wheelset alone.

Question is what's your experience with light and strong replacement wheels with a 20mm front hub for the enduro? It's been a long time since I've bought a set of wheels so I don't know what current prices are, but I'm thinking I'd shoot for a max of $400 if possible.. ? I ride typical all-mountain style - a bit aggressive but no big hucking.

I'd like to drop a few pounds on the bike overall so I was also thinking of a carbon riser as well. Anyone else running a carbon bar on their enduro? suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member

Good job! Wheels

You can save alot of weight just by getting rid of that hefty Sram 950 cassette and switch to a Sram 990 or Shimano XT M760. Get rid of that heavy shimano Deore (M525) hub and change to a DT 440 / 240 hub with DT Super Comp spokes with the same rim. Upgrade the front to the DT Super Comp spokes as well. That will save you a good 1-1.5 lbs. That all may cost you around 350-400. Or you can suck it up and get some Crossmax XT's or the new SX wheels.

Stay with brass nipples, the weight savings with alloy will hurt you in the long run by breaking easier.

The carbon bar isn't going to drop much, but the Race Face Next XC riser is a good one.

With the Enduro Expert, 30-31 lbs is okay.
    Last edited by eldogo; 02-03-2007 at 02:44 PM.
    Just a lowly bike mechanic.

Specialized Enduro Expert w/ Double Barrel
    Specialized Gangster
    Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer

Ridin in UT
    Thanks! those sound like good suggestions. I guess it's a good thing that you like the Specialized rims enough to want to relace them with different spokes/hub. I'll look into that.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    the cassette is a good idea.
    if your looking for a brand new wheelset as opposed to upgrading your current (which i did so i would have a back-up set), look into the hope pro II hubs on either dt/swiss 5.1, syncros ds28 or mavic d321 rims with whatever spokes/nips you and your wheelbuilder decide on.

give chad at red barn bicycles a call. he quoted me a killer price on that setup with the 5.1 rims. ultimately i went with the hadley 10mm bolt on rear instead of the hope (wanted the quicker engagement), still a great price with the more expensive hub and great customer service and patience answering questions. plus his wheel building reputation on these forums is top notch.

larry at mountain high cyclery has a great reputation for price and wheel builds as well.

also, the stock rims on the '06 enduro expert are sun s.o.s. pretty wide and not too heavy, but if you go with a whole new wheelset, i'd give one of the other rims some thought...

i have a phobia about carbon parts so i can't speak to that...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The DT Swiss EX 5.1d/Hope Pro2 wheelset made by Hope is one of the best bang-for-buck factory wheelsets available, i.e. sturdy, but lightweight 28 mm wide rim with the option to go tubeless. The total wheelset weight is less than 2 kg (4.09 lbs). I have built up a custom set (for quite a bit more) and they are still round and true after a season of hard riding.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=15900

If I'm not mistaken, CRC offers free shipping on these from the UK to most places... way cool. However, you may need to pay some import duties to your government. Still, you should be close to your $400 budget.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]Intense 5.5 | Specialized SX Trail II | Kona Dawg Primo [/SIZE][/SIZE]

The Other Dude
    I would drop that cassette also, you can save a good bit of weight, and get a bit better shifting performance out of a PG-990 cassette......if you look around, you can get on online for a great price.....i think i paid $65 for mine shipped to my door off ebay. I ran the PG-990/Crossmax XL combo on both my enduro Expert and my SX Trail and loved it.

As for wheels, i rand the Mavic Crossmax XL's on my enduro expert, and i also had a set on my SX trail, with work with the 20mm axles, and are super stiff and light. I am not trying to be a spammer, just possibly help you out, i have a set for sale on ebay right now, and they are under the $400 you are looking the spend and have 3 hours left on the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3371&rd=1&rd=1

I would be keeping them, but the wont work on my enduro SL. I honestly dont know know of anyone that bought a set of the mavic crossmax series that didnt care for them.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    alas... you sold the SX Trail III?
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]Intense 5.5 | Specialized SX Trail II | Kona Dawg Primo [/SIZE][/SIZE]

The Other Dude
    unfortunatly.......im gonna miss that bike
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I second the crossmax xls, I knocked over a pound off my enduro pro with the xls