mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Need help for new seatpost?

I have a 1995 steel stumpjumper and want to put a carbon fiber seat post on it. Does anyone know what size diameter I would need to get? This is my only mtb ride and I still love the bike. It has been great.
    Chow

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Why not check the Specialized FAQ:

"
    seat post diameter for a 95 stumpjumper

Question
    ---- 03/07/2001 08:34 PM ---------------------------------------------
    The post on my bike says it is a 30.4. Someone on this site said that the bike will accept a 30.9. I cannot find a 30.4 and the 30.9 doesn't seem to fit. What next??

Thank you

Answer
    At 03/08/2001 08:55 AM we wrote -

If your frame is a DirectDrive Cr-Mo Stumpjumper (a.k.a. "steel"), and is a 1995 model year or later, then 30.4mm is the correct size.

Dimension offers a 30.4mm post avaialable through many bike shops for about $30. Kalloy is another commonly available brand that makes a couple different models in 30.4mm. If you're looking for a light-weight post, Race Face also offers a 30.4, as well.

If your frame is A1 Aluminum, M2 Metal Matrix, or M4 Manipulated Alloy, and also '95 or later, 30.9mm is the correct diameter. All of the posts above are available in 30.9, as well.
    "

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeppe
    Why not check the Specialized FAQ:

"
    seat post diameter for a 95 stumpjumper

Question
    ---- 03/07/2001 08:34 PM ---------------------------------------------
    The post on my bike says it is a 30.4. Someone on this site said that the bike will accept a 30.9. I cannot find a 30.4 and the 30.9 doesn't seem to fit. What next??

Thank you

Answer
    At 03/08/2001 08:55 AM we wrote -

If your frame is a DirectDrive Cr-Mo Stumpjumper (a.k.a. "steel"), and is a 1995 model year or later, then 30.4mm is the correct size.

Dimension offers a 30.4mm post avaialable through many bike shops for about $30. Kalloy is another commonly available brand that makes a couple different models in 30.4mm. If you're looking for a light-weight post, Race Face also offers a 30.4, as well.

If your frame is A1 Aluminum, M2 Metal Matrix, or M4 Manipulated Alloy, and also '95 or later, 30.9mm is the correct diameter. All of the posts above are available in 30.9, as well.
    "
    Thank you for the post. I did send a email to specialized and thought that might be faster. This is why I posted here. I am always appreciative of any answers from this site. Also I thought the 95 model had a weird sizing (maybe).