mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Need Help locating e150 fork foam rings

After taking my bike to the LBS twice to have fork internals replaced, I decided they did not know WTF they were doing.

I took the fork apart myself to align the stanchions (much better now) and I found one of the foam rings in two pieces and the other in three. There were small chunks of foam rings in the bottom of the stanchions.

So now, I can't find foam rings to replace these with. I have called all the big shops in my area and no one carries them. (Mikes bikes, Trailhead cyclery, Passion Trail Bikes, My LBS, which will remain nameless) I am not going to reassemble with rings in pieces.

I asked trailhead to order them last weekend and they are still are not here (They said maybe next week), so I am going to loose another weekend of riding. I need a back-up source just incase they are not here next week. I have some epic ride vacations coming up.

WHERE THE HELL CAN I GET E150 FOAM RINGS?

Thanks!
    Last edited by FSRguy; 07-31-2008 at 10:17 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Go to Hobby Lobby or some other crafty store like that. Look around for a viable replacement, they will have some form of absorbent material you can cut to fit.

My ideas just to get you rolling this weekend:

The thickest felt sheets cut into donut shapes and then stacked on top of each other until it fits.
    =
    =

Foam rubber pillow stuffing cut to fit
    Some sort of sponge cut to fit
    Think outside the box!!

I bet if you grease the internal sections of the stanctions and the bushings, it will last one or two rides without damage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the creative suggestions, I do appreciaet it, but I am a bit skeptical

I'd rather not ride it than take a chance of damaging anything. You never know how well other materials will hold up under the heat and oil/slick honey. Alternatives might break down and damage the stanchion sushings pressed into the lowers or do something to the wipers. I am hoping the fragmented foam rings did not already damage anything - how did they get into the lowers? Must have caught the stanchion tubes and they they jammed the tubes down, slicing the rings - I hate to think about that.

Not sure about riding without...

I did a 30-mile epic ride at Cannell trial and plunge in Kernville last month after I had the first set of internals swapped out (Ride impressions to come). This was my "Give the new gear a workout ride". 2k ft of climbing and 7,500 feet of decending will get anything heated up. Without proper lube, it's asking for trouble. BTW, the bike was incredible

I'll be at Tahoe for 4-5 days next week, so plenty of heat and dust and rough terrain.

I'll let you know how this pans out...

Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    Go to Hobby Lobby or some other crafty store like that. Look around for a viable replacement, they will have some form of absorbent material you can cut to fit.

My ideas just to get you rolling this weekend:

The thickest felt sheets cut into donut shapes and then stacked on top of each other until it fits.
    =
    =

Foam rubber pillow stuffing cut to fit
    Some sort of sponge cut to fit
    Think outside the box!!

I bet if you grease the internal sections of the stanctions and the bushings, it will last one or two rides without damage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FSRguy
    After taking my bike to the LBS twice to have fork internals replaced, I decided they did not know WTF they were doing.

I took the fork apart myself to align the stanchions (much better now) and I found one of the foam rings in two pieces and the other in three. There were small chunks of foam rings in the bottom of the stanchions.

So now, I can't find foam rings to replace these with. I have called all the big shops in my area and no one carries them. (Mikes bikes, Trailhead cyclery, Passion Trail Bikes, My LBS, which will remain nameless) I am not going to reassemble with rings in pieces.

I asked trailhead to order them last weekend and they are still are not here (They said maybe next week), so I am going to loose another weekend of riding. I need a back-up source just incase they are not here next week. I have some epic ride vacations coming up.

WHERE THE HELL CAN I GET E150 FOAM RINGS?

Thanks!
    "ENDURO SEAL" ----this company is where i get my seal kits from ------sounds like the bike shop ruined your foam rings ------and god knows what else .

i have not had to replace any foam rings in these e150's -------there is not a need to .

you can use any foam ring from any 35 -40 mm seal kit -----------( the e150 uses a scarf cut ring anyway so you can trim to fit )-----you could get a 35 mm seal kit from fox if you wanted to also and use thoes rings .