mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Need help deciding: Stumpjumper vs. Enduro

I've already posted this on the "what bike to get" forum but I thought I'd try my luck here. I'm a new rider and have narrowed my search for a new bike down to the S-Works Stumpjumper or the S-Works Enduro (I can get either at a good price). I weigh 230 and plan to be doing a little of everything meaning (XC, trail, limited downhill with small drops). I know the Enduro has more travel and that's always nice, also it has the Brain which would help on the uphills, but the Stumpy has a good amount of travel also and is significantly lighter. I'm ready to buy one soon so please help me out.

mtbr member
    I have a Stumpy Pro 120 and I love it. With your size and wanting to ride downhill and small drops then I think you might be happier with the Enduro. I have a couple of friends, both over 200 lbs, that love their Enduros. If you have not already done so then test riding them both.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Frodo; 08-08-2005 at 06:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I'm with Frodo on this one....

Quote Originally Posted by RedlandsAl
    I've already posted this on the "what bike to get" forum but I thought I'd try my luck here. I'm a new rider and have narrowed my search for a new bike down to the S-Works Stumpjumper or the S-Works Enduro (I can get either at a good price). I weigh 230 and plan to be doing a little of everything meaning (XC, trail, limited downhill with small drops). I know the Enduro has more travel and that's always nice, also it has the Brain which would help on the uphills, but the Stumpy has a good amount of travel also and is significantly lighter. I'm ready to buy one soon so please help me out.
    The down hill and drops tip the scales in favor of the Enduro. It is heavier, but it is also quite a bit heavier duty as well. The Stumpy 120 is still based on an XC frame and makes for a great general trail and cross country bike. But start tossing drops and fast DH runs at it and youre getting a bit out it's capability range. A Stumpy will descend well and do occasional small drops, but the Enduro will do them MUCH better and it is still XC capable. Also, if you ride very aggresively the Enduro would be the better ride. I am 6'5" and 230 and ride a Stumpjumper FSR and love it. But I am an XC/Trail rider and tend to finess the bike through a rock garden rather than just plough through, and don't usually do screaming down hills or drops. Don't get me wrong, I love to descend, but I keep it down and pick the smooth lines. I used to have an 03 Enduro and it was a great bike, but too much bike for my style of riding. So for me I was simply lugging penalty weight up the hill. Your choice of course, but from the limited info you give I'd say go with the Enduro. Better safe than sorry. But take into consideration the terrain you ride and your riding style before you pull the trigger. It might turn out that the Stumpy would be better. And as Frodo recommended DEFFINATELY test ride both before you make your final decission.

Good Dirt

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Enduro, but $5k for new rider ...

Between the two, buy the Enduro, it is tougher and you'll be bashing this thing around as a new/heavy rider. Perhaps more importantly, are these bikes an overkill for a new (your words) rider? $5000 bike and you're not sure what your riding style is? Maybe try the Enduro 130, ride it for a year and treat yourself to whatever you want after your 50th ride when you've "earned" it!

Good luck and enjoy riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Instead of the SWorks thy the expert you will save a couple bucks. I am 230 and ride the same mix of trail types you do and moved from a great XC bike similar to the Enduro for several reasons. First of which was the durability and stiffness. THe extra travel gives the ability to adjust for a more plush ride which is after all part of the point. BTW if you have worked hard enough to afford a $5000 bike you have earned it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thanks for the info

Thanks for all your help. I wanted to do a test ride on the bikes but unfortunately the none of the lbs's had test rides, which I thought it was lame. I am starting to lean toward the stumpjumper given that it seems to be able to take some punishment from a guy my size but is still light. I doubt I will be bombing downhill on a regular basis and would more than likely pick my way downhill more than just point and go. The Enduro could be overkill and I may begin to regret the extra weight going uphill. I plan to do mostly singletrack with the occasional trip to Mammoth or Big Bear for some downhill. Really the main thing I am worried about is if the bike will be able to support me without breaking on those few trips to the big hills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Well then if you keep in mind that it's....

Thanks for all your help. I wanted to do a test ride on the bikes but unfortunately the none of the lbs's had test rides, which I thought it was lame. I am starting to lean toward the stumpjumper given that it seems to be able to take some punishment from a guy my size but is still light. I doubt I will be bombing downhill on a regular basis and would more than likely pick my way downhill more than just point and go. The Enduro could be overkill and I may begin to regret the extra weight going uphill. I plan to do mostly singletrack with the occasional trip to Mammoth or Big Bear for some downhill. Really the main thing I am worried about is if the bike will be able to support me without breaking on those few trips to the big hills.
    a Stumpy and not an Enduro then you'll probably be okay. The bike will deffinately handle the occasional down hill foray as long as you do your part and not take it beyond it's design parameters. The Stumpy is a good trail bike, not too heavy, not too light, realatively quick in the handling department. The bike works well in technical situations, climbs reasonably well, and desends well. However I would go along with one of the other posters and say that the S-works might be a bit much for a "new rider". I would seriously consider moving down the food chain a bit. The 120 Expert is a very well speced bike for a little more than half the cost of the S-works. With the money you save you can figure out the things that you don't like, i.e. saddle, stem, bars, pedals, etc., and still have some scratch left over to replace them if you decide to. With the S-works the bank may be tapped and the changes will have to wait. Besides, normal depriciation on a bike (especially a mountain bike) is about half in the first year. It's easier to bite it on 1300 bucks than it is to take it from behind for 2500! This of course also depends on the market as well, but it's about average. Anyway, consider carefully before you jump. Enjoy!

Good Dirt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Get a Santa Cruz Blur LT

I just retired my Stumpjumper Pro FSR / XC for a Santa Cruz Blur LT. My girlfriend has an all XTR Enduro Pro... The Enduro weighs more than 30 pounds and does not climb like a Stumpy. My new Blur climbs better than my Stumpy did and is more capable downhill than the Enduro. The Blur LT is hands down the best bike I have ever ridden for all around riding if you don't intend on racing XC.

You can get a complete bike from Santa Cruz for $2999 @ about 28 pounds. Mine weighs in at 26 pounds after spec'ing every component...

dead sailor
    Quote Originally Posted by BLT Fan
    You can get a complete bike from Santa Cruz for $2999 @ about 28 pounds. Mine weighs in at 26 pounds after spec'ing every component...
    At his weight that matters very little.

I agree with most, if you're a new rider don't drop 5k on a new bike. I had a buddy who got into riding 6 months ago, bought a new 2k bike. We seriously thought he was hooked for good. He rode it like 3 times. Now its literally gathering dust, cobwebs and is rusted.

If you really are new to biking, get yourself a hardtail, its gonna force you to teach yourself how to ride properly. But if you still really want pimpin bike, then get an expensive hardtail.
    phuck it!

p.s. I NEED a Pugsley

Bike to the Bone...
    I have and XL Stumpjumper FSR 100 and it's been holding up pretty nicely. I'm 220, 5'11". But I don't go too agresive. I think I would go to the Enduro if I would be in a position to decide between the Stumpy and Enduro. The Enduro is tougher than the Stumpy, and the weight difference IMO is not too much important at my weight, but I would feel more confident on drops and rocky sections.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Price isn't much of an issue...

as I have a buddy that can get me either bike for about $1500 so I figured if it was that much I would just focus on the bike that would fit me best and hold up the longest. I don't plan on buying another bike for a long time so I want this one to be able to fit my current needs as well as grow with me (in terms of skill). Thanks for the info. I haven't really thought about the Blur but I'll go research it.

mtbr member

warranty

Warranty is the key word here. If you choose the Stumpy or Enduro you know that the big S has a lifetime replacement warranty.
    Keep that in mind when you look at other brands.
    It was the deciding factor for me when I was dropping some $$$ on a bike.
    If your going to stay with the drops get the Enduro. Want to climb up and bomb down then the Stumpy 120 is the way to go.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I've got an '04 S-Works Enduro and is the best bike I've ever ridden. She weighs in at exactly 29lbs with eggbeater SL pedals and CaneCreek ergo bar ends - less than 2 lbs heavier than an '05 Specialized Stumpjumper 120 Pro.

Rode the Enduro in D-Ville this weekend - Absolutely FLAWLESS!! Only thing I had to do was lube the chain. Dang bike climbs better than my XC rig

IMO -the '04 S-Works Enduro is the way to go
    Last edited by CHUM; 08-09-2005 at 12:06 PM. Reason: poor spelling
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    I second the warranty advice, especially considering your size. I broke an '02 Enduro (as several others have) and had a new '04 S-Works frame (no brain shock, I'm not that lucky) shipped out the day I brought the cracked frame in. If you want this bike for the long-term, plan on abusing it, and don't want to pay for a replacement when/if you crack the frame, stay with the big S.

I do have a touch of bike envy when I see Santa Cruzers and Turner folks running around, but as far as bang for your buck and seamless customer service goes, I can't say enough about Specialized.