mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Need Front Derailleur cable help!

The cable on my stumpjumper FSR comp was stretched and I was getting some rubbing. Being a newbie to repairs I did a little internet searching and loosened the cable "bolt" at the FDR with the chain ring in the inner/smallest ring. With the FDR in it's no-load position I pulled the cable taut and tightened then bolt. After cycling up and down through the chain ring the cable tends to "pop" off the arc shaped guide above the FDR. I have tried numerous times with the same results and after looking at the bolt and it's tabbed washer and notched area where it grabs the cable I am convinced I have no idea what the correct mounting arangement is. Any idea? Just attached wrong? Can anyone email me a close-up of what the attached cable should look like?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    why not take it back to where you bought it and let them fix it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That's certainly an option, but I got it last year so $ is an issue and I'd like to be able to fix it myself if possible.....

mtbr member
    Can you post a pic of what yours looks like? Do you have the tab that fits around FD in the right spot? If you pull the bolt/clamp off the FD the metal should be marred where the cable was. It may be helpful to take a peak at it. I don't have stumpy but I can post a pick later of what my XT top swing fd looks like if you think it will be helpful.

Anthony