mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New question here. Need advice on Rockhopper frame size..............

I have decieded on buying a 2005 Rockhopper.
    I have tested the 17'' frame and the 19'' frame.
    I am 5'11, 200lbs. I felt comfortable on both frame sizes. The difference was very minimal, but my arms are a bit more stretched out on the 19'' frame of course.

I think that either frame would work for me in the end. I would like to hear pros and cons of having a larger frame vs a smaller frame. Would I be better off with a larger frame or a smaller frame. I feel comfortable on both frames, so I am having a hard time decieding which one I should get. I will ride the bike around town alot as transportation, and for excercise. I do enjoy riding offroad as well, and will do that. I won't be doing anything too crazy offroad. The majority of the time I will probally be on pavement.

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi

I've just got a rockhopper I am 5'10" and got the 17" have ridden it for about 70 miles so far and the size is fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    my guess would be the smaller of the 2.when i ride around town i don't care to be streched out.(makes for sore back) more uprite is definatly better in this case.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I bought an 05 rockhopper comp and it's a 19" frame. I am 5'11" 230 lbs and i think the frame works great for me. I do both off road and road riding. I dont get too crazy but I like to challenge myself a little. When I rode the 17" frame it felt like my knees were too close to the handlebars and that was something I didn't like. That is why I went with the 19" frame. Good luck with your purchase. I dont think you can go wrong with a specialized!

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    I'm 6'4" and ride a 19" frame. I ride a lot of technical hairy trails and my seat position is more often quite low. However, when I ride the tow-path trails for fitness the seatpost is long enough to raise it up for more efficient pedalling. My pants inseam is 34" so my legs are long.

For you I would recommend the 17" frame. Frames that are too large really are a drag. Not so much if you're riding around on the road seated, but standing to pedal or getting into twisty trails and further into technical stuff, you really need a properly sized frame with as much standover height as possible. Buy the smallest frame you can get away with for trail riding. If you can get onto a 15" and test the seatpost for proper length for XC, go that route even.
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]