View Poll Results: So what should I do

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Save your money, push it baby ...

2 20.00%
  • Get the Burner, minor bling ...

1 10.00%
  • Get the burner, go nuts on the bling ...

2 20.00%
  • Get the flux, you know you want to ...

2 20.00%
  • Get the Epic and geek out ...

3 30.00%
    HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004

New question here. Need advice: keep my bike vs. slight update vs. go nuts :)

x-posted to Turner and What Bike to Buy forums.

I'm a clyde rider in Austin, Texas, riding mostly single track but we have baby heads, roots, etc ... Been off mountain bike since a dumb fall caused my kidney to bleed back in late January. Been doing the roadie thing on/off and work has sucked up too much time lately but am itching to get back to the dirt.

I have a 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp (think old style stumpjumper FSR but in heavier alu). Upgraded with Reba fork, new wheels, X.9 stuff and other minor updates. I'm in upgraditis mode and need some advice The options I'm debating (in increasing cost, each $ is about $500).

1) just keep my bike and maybe push the rear shock. It's there, paid for and just get out and ride stupid (not prefered option ) Cost: <$

2) buy a burner frame (found a new one in silver (sweet!), but with manitou shock, not fox that I'd prefer) and move my parts over and upgrade what can't move. Maybe sell old frame, and whatever parts don't move. Cost: $

3) buy a burner frame, move my upgraded parts over, sell the old bike, buy new bling (Juicy, thomson, CK headset, etc ...) Cost: $$

4) buy flux frame, move upgraded parts over, sell old bike, buy new bling. Cost: $$$$

5) buy new '06 Epic Comp, move my upgraded parts over, sell old bike and anything i take off new bike. Cost: $$$$

Cost isn't a major factor but still is a factor (it's been an expensive year so not alot of $ for toys).

I'm jonsing for the Epic because of the tech but alot of people tell me it's not the best bike for Austin (too harsh). The Flux would be nice but will I notice the weight difference and extra travel over the burner (I can always upgrade the rocker to get 4" out of the burner).

Help!!! The burner I'd have to pick up this week so need to decide one way or another.

thnx

Berardino

mechmann_mtb
    clyde riders look funny on Epics. get something more fitting! Nothing like 6" of love from my Enduro to float my 200lbs over rough terrain

i now have my enduro down to between 29 and 30 lbs and it is super stout.

funny thing, i get on my wifes SJ120 (26lbs) and it feels like a toy. the fork feels flexy, everything seems very light (under me anything that light might be considered weak)

test ride an enduro and see the light.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    clyde riders look funny on Epics. get something more fitting! Nothing like 6" of love from my Enduro to float my 200lbs over rough terrain

i now have my enduro down to between 29 and 30 lbs and it is super stout.

funny thing, i get on my wifes SJ120 (26lbs) and it feels like a toy. the fork feels flexy, everything seems very light (under me anything that light might be considered weak)

test ride an enduro and see the light.
    Epic is really not for the constant ultra not-so-fast rough tracks. I like the epic since, my area doesn't have the ultra rough stuff like Austin. Also, I know the tracks well, so I can basically push it to the limit. And yes, Epic is way better than the Stumpy/Flux in those conditions.

However, if I get invited to a track I have never been to before, I think Epic is not that hot, especially if it has lots of rough stuff. Don't get me wrong, Epic is great on technical stuff, just when it gets ultra rough, I think Burner or Stumpy would be better. Epic is a race bike, it is faster on relatively smooth and technical singletrack. Downhill I think is a wash. maybe Epic is a tad better on downhill corners. Stumpy/Flux is made more plush, therefore it is better on extremely rough stuff. You win some, you lose some. I think all the bikes you mentioned is a great bike, just gotta pick the right one for your tastes.

I love the Epic. Put some stiff Crossmaxes on it and it and it rides like it is on rails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baratta930
    x-posted to Turner and What Bike to Buy forums.

I'm a clyde rider in Austin, Texas, riding mostly single track but we have baby heads, roots, etc ... Been off mountain bike since a dumb fall caused my kidney to bleed back in late January. Been doing the roadie thing on/off and work has sucked up too much time lately but am itching to get back to the dirt.

I have a 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp (think old style stumpjumper FSR but in heavier alu). Upgraded with Reba fork, new wheels, X.9 stuff and other minor updates. I'm in upgraditis mode and need some advice The options I'm debating (in increasing cost, each $ is about $500).

1) just keep my bike and maybe push the rear shock. It's there, paid for and just get out and ride stupid (not prefered option ) Cost: <$

2) buy a burner frame (found a new one in silver (sweet!), but with manitou shock, not fox that I'd prefer) and move my parts over and upgrade what can't move. Maybe sell old frame, and whatever parts don't move. Cost: $

3) buy a burner frame, move my upgraded parts over, sell the old bike, buy new bling (Juicy, thomson, CK headset, etc ...) Cost: $$

4) buy flux frame, move upgraded parts over, sell old bike, buy new bling. Cost: $$$$

5) buy new '06 Epic Comp, move my upgraded parts over, sell old bike and anything i take off new bike. Cost: $$$$

Cost isn't a major factor but still is a factor (it's been an expensive year so not alot of $ for toys).

I'm jonsing for the Epic because of the tech but alot of people tell me it's not the best bike for Austin (too harsh). The Flux would be nice but will I notice the weight difference and extra travel over the burner (I can always upgrade the rocker to get 4" out of the burner).

Help!!! The burner I'd have to pick up this week so need to decide one way or another.

thnx

Berardino
    I vote for keeping the present frame.
    Because of your weight, it should make a lot of difference to get the shock PUSHed, better pedaling, and still better ride over rough stuff.

Live 2 Ride
    Stay away from Turner. Waste of money if you ask me considering that you can get alot more "bling" with a Specialized for the price of just a Turner frame...
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Buy an Epic Carbon and a Stumpjumper Carbon! Who cares about money?

Time is not a road.
    It seems as though you'd like the Burner, but is it better than than the XC; probably yes. It will be lighter. The suspension action will be the same. I'd part it out from your current bike, maybe upgrade the wheels and rear shock (Push is good for any bike, any time). The Flux bikes have had some cracking issues this year, so as a clyde, I'd wait on that. But the Burner hasn't had these issues (diff. leverage ratios/rocker links).

I'd stay away from a first year production carbon frame, just to see how things pan out.

Sell the other frame and put some key parts into the Burner frame. You'll be rewarded with a great bike you can ride and upgrade for years.