mtbr member

myth vs reality vs $$ : shock/fork service interval

Ok,so in a matter of 4 months I gave up all my "standard" bikes and I now have 2 superb Brain equipped Specialized rigs. Stumpy fsr elite 2011 and Epic Expert 29 2012(brain front and rear).

Most of my friends have gone between 2 and 3 years before sending their Fox shocks and forks to service....pretty scary but if it's true that "if ain't broken don't fix it"...:roll eyes:.

Anyway here is my thing :

stumpy FSR Elite 2011. Got it in february,used it for 2 months (wet terrain all the way,no dust) and then stop until september. I will be using the bike all the way until april 2012,so wet terrain use again. I was considering to send the Brain Shock in for service in april 2012. Would it be wise to send the Fox fork aswell ( Fox Float no Fit,no Talas,no fancy..) ?

Epic Expert 29 2012. Got it 3 weeks ago,these are the last days of dry and dusty terrain before we'll all dive into a wet dust free winter. Same as of the Stumpy I will stop my riding season in april 2012. Brain shock will most likely go in along with the Stumpy's one, what what about the SID fork ?

Bottom line if I'll send in all 4 of them at once we are looking at well over 400 Euro worth of service.... From what I've heard the very first service on forks is not a big deal unless I've pushed the limits or I am an overweight chap wich I am not. I always clean my fork's stanchions after every ride and always apply a proper stanchion lube finish before every ride.
    Would it be too risky to ride another full winter ( 2012-2013 ) with a non serviced forks ??
    Last edited by Devastazione; 10-18-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Mines 29
    I'd send it in when spec says to. I've had the Brain on my 08 Epic blow out on me twice. First time they replaced it under warranty. Now the second time they are not because it was not sent in for servicing and they say because of that it voids the warranty on the shock. On a side note my rear shock at the time of Brain failure was still under the recommended miles before servicing but was over the number of months. If there are any Spec Reps on here please PM me I want to get this taken care of.

Now for the forks see if your LBS can take care of those for you in house. The rears I know need to be sent to spec but I think the fronts don't.
    2008 Specialized Epic
    2010 Vassago Bandersnatch
    2009 Vassago FistiCuff
    2009 Vassago Jabberwocky
    www.BIGPIGRACING.org

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The Fox float shock oil change is pretty straightforward, even for someone as mechanically inept as I am. Just take your time and do it carefully. Check out both the Enduro fork seals guide and the official Fox manual. The rear shock service can't be done by an end user since I believe there is a Nitrogen recharge that requires specialty equipment, so you should probably do that through Specialized if you want to keep your warranty. (I have an 09 Enduro with the Spec AFR shock and the Fox Float RL fork).

mtbr member
    Do you get a 2 year warranty on the Fox/ Rock Shox brain shocks in Italy? You do in the UK. I think it might be the same in Italy too?

Unless there are performance issues then I'd suggest having the brain rear shock of your 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Eite serviced on or before February 2012 (one year after purchase) and make sure you keep the receipt / job sheet as proof that the work was done. By having it serviced within a year of purchase it will protect your warranty on the rear shock for the following year.

The Fox F140 RL fork on your 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Eite is a basic suspension fork which is straight forward to service. There are none of the issues you face with a nitrogen charged brain fork. You can easily do this work at home, or take it to a bike shop who should charge you a lot less than 100 euros to service the fork.

You could probably leave the 2012 Epic 29er brain fork and rear shock until later next year. It really depends how much you're using it. Riding a lot in the winter is hard on the bike. If it's getting plastered in mud all the time you might want to get the shocks serviced earlier as dirt can get pulled down past the wiper seals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Brain aside, fox has youtube videos on servicing their forks and the kit costs like $20. You can always have it PUSHED too. Paying for basic suspension service is too expensive. Just follow the recommend service.

You're stuck sending the brain though.