mtbr member

My specialized pros are cursed!!

Not to pleased with my Specialized Pro tires, Either they are cursed or I have been having a horrible string of bad luck.
    I donít even know if they hook up good I cant go down hill on my bike. T
    This is my first full suspention/disk bike and I can wait to haul ass down hill!

1st ride.
    Climbed up and on the way back down I had to ride the brakes because the front tire was throwing dirt and gravel in my face. Resulting in damage to my favorite sunglasses that I have owned for over 3 years. This never happened with my Kenda Claws.
    After this ride I bought a crud catcher and a rear shock mud flap.

2nd ride.
    Went for a long climb only to realize my font tire was getting low. Had to head back down the trail (designated up hill only) So I had to ride the brakes again on the way down. When I got home the front tire was flat and had a goat head in it.
    Replaced the tube and installed a tire liner.

3rd ride.
    Not to bad but it was a really cold day windy as heck. I didnít climb very well, I figured it was just me. Lots of rocks and jumps which was fun. But no fast down hill sections

4th ride.
    Went for a ride on a paved trail. Another cold windy day and I could get into the ride and it was wearing me out bad. I look at the back tire and it is half way down. I went back home and adjusted the air pressure.

5th ride.
    I'm climbing and I finally have the bike tuned in and feel comfortable on my bike and climbed for about 2.75 miles where I usually ride 2-4 times a week during the summer. (never had a flat on this trail) I cant wait to get to the top and finally enjoy some down hill on this sweet bike I just got.
    About 200-300 feet from the fun down hill section (where I think I'm in the roam video) I look down at my front tire and it is low as hell.
    So now the front tire is too low to ride and I have to walk the bike back to the truck down steep sections of hill. I get about a 1/2 mile to the parking lot and now the back tire is almost flat.
    The front had another goat head in it and I donít know what happened to the rear tire.

Old bike has Kenda Claws with Slime tire liners. Only had one flat when I first got the bike then I installed the tire liners and never had another flat after about 6 months of riding. And I rode this bike in a lot of gnarly thorn areas around town.

My hypothesis
    Actually I think it's the spacing of the knobs, it allows goat head thorns to fall in-between the knobs and give me flats. Maybe the thin side walls too.

Any one want to buy a set of spare tiers for your specialized?? $35 a pair

mtbr member
    Dude, you go on a bit of a tirade on how bad these tires are then you offer them up for sale? Lame.

Are you patching the tubes or replacing them? The stock specialized tubes are almost always a little too thin, making them more prone to flatting. Get yourself some thicker tubes, my recommendation is the standatrd Performance tubes, cheap and durable.

I'm going to ask you a very obvious question here...Why don't you carry spare tubes and a pump with you? With all these flats you're getting, you could have easily swapped out the tubes at the tops of the climbs and you would have been able to enjoy the downhills. It's not very wise to go mountain biking unprepared, what if you get flats when you're 20 miles from civilization? Next time be prepared and you'll be able to enjoy the downhills.

And often times tires are designed to be used for specific conditions... what kind of trails and soil conditions do you have? Do you ride in the mud, sand, etc? The particular tire you have might be more of a lightweight tire for dry hardpack or for competition. I almost always recommend swapping to Kenda Kinetics or Nevegals. They cost a few bucks, but they'll be a lot better than OEM equipment.

mtbr member
    I offered to sell them as a joke but some one out there might love these tires.
    I'm not saying the tires are actually bad... just bad for me so far. Maybe they are more for competition.
    I'm riding mostly hard pack with a little gravel and rock, basic central California terrain. The Specialized pros D2 are for this type of condition.
    I donít carry an extra tube and pump unless I go on a long ride. The place I ride is only about 10 miles and its close to town.
    I donít carry my extra tube and pump because I never had flat problems. But I will on my next ride.