Track Junkie

My setup on an 05 Enduro Pro & review (long)

After a couple hundred miles on my new 05 Enduro Pro (Large), I've finally found a good setup. I weigh in at 230lbs with all my gear. I prefer rough/technical/challenging downhill more than climbing, but still want a bike that can do both well. These adjustments are what works for me...

Tires: I'm still running the stock Specialized Enduro Pro tires that came with the bike. They seem to work well, and are relatively lightweight. At 30psi the tires would squirm under cornering loads. At 40psi they were good but skipped around too much over fast/rough trails. I'm currently running them at 35psi in the front, 38psi in the rear.

5th Element AIR: I haven't had any problems with this shock, but it always seems too soft. I use 1/3 of the travel in sag, and can bottom out the shock on big hits. But when I do bottom it out it isn't harsh or noticeable, i can only tell by the O-ring on the shaft that shows max movement. I run this at it's max recommended pressure: 125psi in the IFP, 170 in the Main chamber. I'm also running the Rebound 2.5 turns IN, which is halfway.

Fox 36 RC2: A good lightweight freeride fork. The air spring definitely ramps up and prevents any harsh bottoming out. Actually, I can't seem to bottom out at my current settings. I'm also not using much (any) sag in the fork currently. However, if i lower the spring pressure much more, it seems to be too squishy in the middle of it's travel. The recommended air pressure (according to the manual per my rider weight) is 83psi. This was way too much for me, and I'm currently running 70psi.

The LOW speed compression is set to only 1 click in, and the HIGH speed compression is set to 3 clicks in. I know this is very minimal, but it allows the fork to absorb the rough-rocky terrain as well as land big jumps very plushly (is that a word?). There isn't much brake dive, much less than the 03 Super T I'm coming off of. And it still pedals well with little bob.

The Rebound is currently set to 8 clicks in. Over fast terrain I'll speed it up a couple clicks to allow the fork to follow the ground better.

The Travel Adjustment works as long as I have pressure on the fork. Otherwise it will stick sometimes. I've only used this a few times on long climbs, and it makes a noticeable difference how well the front tire tracks when climbing. And if you leave it in the short travel mode when descending the fork still works very well.

My frame came with both shock shuttle/mounts. One "Low BB" one "High BB". The Low one I used for a DH race on a smooth course, and it worked well. The bike really railed the corners and was easy to lean. I have since put in the High BB, and like it even more. While it doesn't allow as much leaning, it does give me a better climbing position and better pedal/ground clearance.

On the note of pedal clearance - Even in the High BB position, I've noticed that I smack the pedals more often than my previous bike. This is probably due to the fact that I'm not used to the lower BB height (compared to my previous bike), and also because I sag into a lot of the rear wheel travel. I've just got to be more careful when picking my lines and watch out for rocks when pedaling through technical sections.

Ever hear the expression, "Jack of all trades, Master of none." Well this is that bike. It climbs well, is comfortable on epic rides, easily can compete in Sport level DH events, and even pedals nicely over pavement. I'm impressed that my bike weighs in at a reasonable 33lbs stock (with pedals). The parts spec is great, the only upgrade thus far is a set of SAINT triple cranks instead of the XT it would normally come with.

I have 2 complaints so far; rear tire clearance and paint finish. First, the rear tire clearance is great, IF you aren't running a front derailleur. Otherwise the derailleur comes within 1/8 inch of the stock tire in the small chain ring. If the rim goes out of true, it could easily rub the derailleur. I bought this frame to accommodate tires up to 2.5", but cannot fit them when using a small chain ring.

Second, the frame has an anodized finish, which looks pretty good with the matching fork. However, it scratches very easily. Generally an anodized finish resists scratching very well, but this is obviously an inexpensive application. Don't expect it to hold up better than a good powder coat. The only thing that saves this finish is that it is a satin/matte/wrinkle finish, and light scuffs won't show as easily as with a polished frame.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. The bike suits my riding style much better than my previous bike. I'll probably lighten the bike further with a seat post, handlebars, and stem. Maybe I'll even play around with a triple-chain guide.

Thats all for now, let's go ride.

PS - I would like to thank Wherewolf. His purchase of a new Specialized helped show me the latest designs and quality from Specialized that I might not have recognized before. THANKS!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

Another festivus MIRACLE!
    Brad - You know you're more like 240lbs w/gear! Nice write up. See you on the trails....

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Tyre clearance?

Is it that bad, I use a 2.3 in the back would worry me if I had a problem with the tyre clearance. I'm picking an 06 up tomorrow and planning to use a 3 ring setup.

Track Junkie
    Catnash - I had a chance to check "Bullit71" 06 Enduro Expert, and he has the exact same amount of clearance. You can run a 2.3, but don't expect to run anything bigger unless you aren't using a small chainring.

Bullit71 - It's ok if I weigh more, I'm still faster.

-Brad

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Sram

I'm off to pick it up, I'm using conti scorpion 2.1 in the back on my old 575 , which should fit no problem, I have 2 XT front mechs and a sram for it, the sram looks as if it has a shorter cage by about 5mm.

Old fart
    Aug 2005
    This is odd.
    I don't have any clearance problems on my SX Trail running a front mech and a 22/34/bash XT HTII chainset combined with super fat Schwalbe Big Betty tyres (wider and with larger air chamber than Maxxis 2.7s). With the chainset and spacers installed per Shimanos instructions I have sufficient clearance to fit any tire that would fit through the swingarm.
    Yeah baby!

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

New question here. Two shuttles?

Does the s-works 06 comes with 2 of those angle changers, mine has it set in low, but I haven't been given another? Or do you just turn it upside down?

Will post pics later,

Track Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by catnash
    Does the s-works 06 comes with 2 of those angle changers, mine has it set in low, but I haven't been given another? Or do you just turn it upside down?

Will post pics later,
    I'm not sure, but they are definitely different. It is not something that you can just turn upside down. I would think that they come with the frame/bike. If you bought your bike new from a bike shop, I would ask them if they still have it. Otherwise you'll want to talk to Specialized about getting another one.

-Brad

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Cheers

Thanks, the rear der. protector didnt come as well so I have e-mailed them.

dressed to play
    Quote Originally Posted by BRacing
    I have 2 complaints so far; rear tire clearance and paint finish. First, the rear tire clearance is great, IF you aren't running a front derailleur. Otherwise the derailleur comes within 1/8 inch of the stock tire in the small chain ring. If the rim goes out of true, it could easily rub the derailleur. I bought this frame to accommodate tires up to 2.5", but cannot fit them when using a small chain ring.
    I use an XTR front mech and have no such clearance issues. That xt of yours looks mighty long

Track Junkie
    Here are the pics of the tire clearance I'm talking about. The pictures really don't convey how close the tire comes to the deraileur.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mechmann_mtb
    go 1X9 and you won't have to worry about that FD problem!

that sucks that the FD is that close though. i don't think it was that close on my 05. is that a Shimano FD? maybe there is something about the LX FD that makes it not so close.

btw...

you need an air compressor in a BAD way! compressed air makes the bike look all nice and new like without using that evil thing called water.

Track Junkie
    I've tested the LX, XT (shown), and XTR deraileurs, as well as a SRAM one too. They are all very close. It doesn't matter, if you're running a FD, it's going to be close to the tire in the small ring.

Other options include; running a wider BB/crankset to offset the chainrings outward more, or dishing the wheel further to the disc side.

-B

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Shimano

I wonder with 'the power' of Spesh they could get shimano to make a shorter caged one? I wont have a problem with my tyres theres still room. Have had very quick e-mail contact and the frame should have come with the spare shuttle and frame der protector.