mtbr member

My new project bike.

This is kind of a cross post from GD.

I found the frame of my dreams on Ebay and I have been accumulating parts until I now have enough for the build. I have a lot of miles on an '03 Enduro and love it. Since everybody needs more than 5 bikes I decided to build this one. Here's my starter kit:

I would like to post the build sequentially, and almost any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Walter, the chinaman who peed on my rug, I can't go give him a bill!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Droooooool......Looks like its going to be a killer setup!!
    '04 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disk - SS Conversion: 175mm FMF BMX Crank w/Salsa 34x16, UN-73 BB, Eggbeaters, Pazzaz 2014 Stem, Bontrager Bar, Odi Ruffian lockons, LX Lever/Mech Disk, Nashbar SS hub/Mavic 217 SUP, 00' RS SID SL, Cane Creek S-2

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Ummm....I hate to be the turd in the puddle here, but...

That front deraileure ain't gonna work with that frame. There isn't enough room for it on in the area that you have to mount a dreailleure. The SRAM is a high clamp, you need a low calmp or "bottom swing" for that frame. I know, I've built or helped build a couple of Enduro's. A bud of mine was really stoked over the deal he got on a XTR top swing (high clamp) that he picked up for a build on an 04 Expert. Didn't work though, he was so bummed that I ended up trading him a brand new bottom swing that I had as a spare straight accross. Even though I had no need or use for the high clamp derailleure. Oh well, ebay is a wonderful thing. Anyway, just thought I would let you know before you got into it and found out the hard way.

Other than that small item, it looks like a sweet build! Have fun and keep us posted.

Good Dirt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Purty!

That's one nice looking set of wheels to go with the pretty red Enduro. What hubs are they?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Purty!

That's one nice looking set of wheels to go with the pretty red Enduro. What hubs are they?

mtbr member

Red hubs

Quote Originally Posted by PJMatthes
    Those are Chris King hubs that I had laced to the Mavic rims (wrenchscience did it and did a great job) I have used the wheels for about a year and a half on my other enduro. I really like the wheels, they seem bombproof. I had a set of Mavic CrossMax disk wheels but Mavic is so protective of their manuals, in addition to the fact that everything for the wheels was Mavic specific. I waited a month to get a spoke! So, I gave them away. (Actually I gave away the whole bike (03 S-Works FSR XC that I built) but that is a different story.)

Thanks for the compliment. I am having to force myself to go slow on this project because I think it is going to look and ride so good.

Later

mtbr member

Thanks for the T.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    That front deraileure ain't gonna work with that frame... Anyway, just thought I would let you know before you got into it and found out the hard way.
    YOU SIR, are correct! Thanks for telling me to pull my head out and look. It's not like I don't know this already, I actually have a new Shimano XT front Der. (top swing) in my garage that wouldn't fit on the Enduro I have. I got so carried away with my "I don't like being flipped off, or told that I have to buy a complete line of products, and I now hate Shimano." That I bought the SRAM offering after only verifying it was "top or bottom pull" compatible. BUT, now I know that "top swing" means clamp mounted above pivot and "bottom swing" means clamp mounted at or below pivot, and that I have to get "bottom-bottom", not "top-bottom", or "bottom-top", or heaven forbid "top-top"

Oh, well. Live and learn (or not). If I learned everything from the first time I made the mistake, I would have fewer scars on my legs and elbows.

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up. I ordered a new XT today (bottom-bottom of course)

Later