mtbr member
    Aug 2009

my new bike :) need help on making it more comfortable though

finnally found a good deal on a bike . this guy had an enduro pro for sale but he broke the frame..they gave him a new xc frame as a replacement with new shock so i got the bike with brand new frame and all the enduro pro parts on it.the only problem is that the original bike i was buying was a large frame that suits my 6 2 height but they replaced the frame with a medium by mistake. i still ended-up buying the bike since he lowered the price to $450 for me because of the mistake..here is a picture and i need to figure out how to make this a comfortable ride for me or will i need to try find a large frame ?? any input apriciated,thanx all
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    a large frame would be best. the best you could do is slide the seat back as far as possible and get a longer frame

edit: i mean longer stem.
    Last edited by luckynumber9; 08-07-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm 6" shorter than you and think a Specialized medium is a bit small.

I'd be really surprised if you weren't happier on a bigger frame.

If you're really committed to this one, get a longer stem. Like, a lot longer. Also try flat bars, or using the riser bars flipped.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

cougarbait
    I would sell the frameset while it is still new, and buy a large frame
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    you can probably sell the bike and make a big profit off of it, then get a 19 inch.
    i'm a lead farmer mother f*cker!!!

Spear & Magic Helmet

Hate to burst your bubble, but..

this could turn into the most expensive $450 bike ever. Basically I agree with the other posts. There are a lot things you can do to make the cockpit longer. I'm 6'2" also and ride an XL epic. This has a top tube more than 25". Yours has a top tube of just over 23". If I were to ride your bike I'd need to find 2" of top tube length. That would mean (probably) a set back seat post and a bit longer stem. Too far back on the post and your seat tube angle will be off and pedaling efficiency will start to suffer. Too far forward on the stem and your weight will be too much on the front and descending will suffer. You need to be centered. Your seat post will need to be higher which will effect the drop from your seat to the bars. This will put you in an uncomfortable riding position (for MTB anyway - more like a raodie position) when you really need to be head up, looking at the trail. So you'll need to find a way to raise the bars. There may not be enough steerer to put spacers so you might be stuck with a riser stem. Each one of these changes effects the others so there's a lot of trial and effort involved and you might still end up with a bike that just doesn't quite fit you, siting unused in the garage. Not a bargain. And you might find that there is a bit of toe overlap. You could either live with that, saw off some toes and buy smaller shoes, or just do the right thing now - before putting in the time and money for nought - and get the larger frame.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Sell it.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

Members who have read this thread: 0