Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thirsty

My New 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29er

I thought I would post some pics and first impressions of my 2013 Sumpy FSR Comp 29. I was expecting to get a closeout 2012, but Cognition Bikes in Mountain View had a killer deal on a 2013 Stumpy FSR 29er Comp, so I was happy to take the last size large off of their hands. This is my first Specialized MTB. The bike is completely stock except for the the Command Post.

I've only done one 20 mile ride on it so far where I was making adjustments along the way. First impressions are that I LOVE the Command Post, the suspension is still getting dialed in, but the CTD settings are much easier than previous damper adjustments IMO. AUTOSAG on the shock makes setup wonderfully simple. The CTD switch on the rear shock has a bit of play in it, so I may take it back to the shop to see if they can do something about that or if it is the same on other new shocks.

The bike feels solid, rides beautifully, and climbs perfectly on these familiar trails. According to Cyclemeter, I rode the 20 mile route faster on the Stumpy FSR faster than on my Air 9 HT, but that could have been the rest I got when making adjustments and the new bike adrenaline.

The Elixir 5 brakes are making some warbling sounds, but I suspect that the pads need to be broken in more than anything. I also learned that the Command Post seat mount needs to be very tight, otherwise big hits may cause the seat to swing nose up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29er-img_0759.jpg  

My New 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29er-img_0756.jpg  

mtbr member
    i just ordered the same bike. it should be here a couple weeks. im really excited to ride this thing. i am coming of a carbon stumpy expert 29er. what do you think of the wheelset? does rear hub have decent quick engagement? are the solid of do they fell spaghetti? I was considering the evo or carbon version also but opted for the comp so i can use extra cash on what upgrades will suit me better.

super nice bike and the best color combo also imo. i dont care for all the flat paint bikes. pics of this bike dont do it justice its way nicer looking in person.
    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold
    10 Stumpy Expert Carbon HT 29er sold
    13 Stumpy FSR Elite "Yellow Jacket"

Thirsty
    The wheelset is not bad. I am coming off a bike with hubs that I loved, Hope Pro IIs, but the stock wheelset is certainly nothing I would complain about.

mtbr member
    Congratulations,it's a beast !!

Can you tell us the size ?

JRA
    Sweet ride dude!

Looking forward to further reports after a few more miles. I hope your brake noise goes away, mine never did.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

Thirsty
    Size large.

I'll be pretty pissed off if brake noise doesn't go away. I'll give it 100 miles before I worry about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewMaster View Post
    I'll be pretty pissed off if brake noise doesn't go away. I'll give it 100 miles before I worry about it.
    The Elixir 7s on my 2012 took at least 50-75 mile to stop being noisy. Mine made some pretty awesome turkey calls lol. I've yet to use a set of Avid brakes that were silent.

Anyway, that thing looks sick. Good looking color scheme!

I also became faster (and can ride longer) when I made the switch from my HT 29er to the stumpy. It feels like cheating.

mtbr member
    I'm sure this is just an optical illusion, but is your fork shorter than 130mm??

Thirsty
    The turkey calls are annoying but will hopefully go away.

Yes its a 130 mm fork.

mtbr member
    Very nice bike, BrewMaster. I'm picking mine up later this afternoon. Can't wait to get it on the trails tomorrow. I ordered the Matte Black/Charcoal color scheme. Once I get 10 posts, I will share a photo with you.
    "My world is a flood....slowly I become, One with the Mud!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice bike man! My buddy has a 2013 Stumpy 9er also with same color scheme.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Here's mine...

I've had it about a month... 2013 size XL, what a blast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29er-373948_4476740398124_127625477_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anybody ridden both the 2012 and 2013 comp? How would you rate the suspension improvement?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec10 View Post
    Anybody ridden both the 2012 and 2013 comp? How would you rate the suspension improvement?
    I have a 2012 I have been riding since December. I changed the wheel set to Stans Crest. I have been working non-stop on vibration issues with the rear brake that seem to come and go.

The stock 130mm fork on this bike is actually a 140mm fork with a spacer. I found that I could not get "over-the-bar" far enough on climbs and felt like I was leaning back too much due to what I felt was too much slacker rake on the stock fork so I replaced the 130mm fork with a 120mm lowering the front end almost 2" to find the bike climbs much better with the lower front end. With the FOX 32 120 w/ FIT I have not noticed a decrease in front suspension performance.

It seems to me that Big S is slowly converting the Stumpjumper to a "trail" bike with the Camber as their XC bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The CTD switch on the rear shock has a bit of play in it, so I may take it back to the shop to see if they can do something about that or if it is the same on other new shocks.

This is normal.

Congrats on your new ride. Do they still come with the 142+ HiLo rear hub?

eci
    whats the weight on the completes?

Laughable Man...haaaa
    Brewmaster,

Sweet bike. I have basically the same bike on order and they tell me Red wont be available until late Sept/Oct so I am stuck with black on black. Would love to hear about the brakes, Elixir 5s right?
    I see you rolled your way into the Semi's...Dios Mio Man...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Great looking bikes!! Wish they held up to 280#

mtbr member
    Nice! I'm looking into getting the same as yours.

Thirsty
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    This is normal.

Congrats on your new ride. Do they still come with the 142+ HiLo rear hub?
    Apparently its not normal. The switch on the shock got to a point where it no longer stopped at the "Climb" setting. It got to the point where could turn the lever 360 degrees to go around to the "Descend" setting. Bike is back at the shop while shock is sent back to Fox to fix it.

Yes, 142+ HiLo rear.

Thirsty
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    whats the weight on the completes?
    No idea on weight. I've got plenty of extra weight in my pack and on my fat ass, so the bike weight is the least of my concerns.

Thirsty
    Quote Originally Posted by Durango65 View Post
    Brewmaster,

Sweet bike. I have basically the same bike on order and they tell me Red wont be available until late Sept/Oct so I am stuck with black on black. Would love to hear about the brakes, Elixir 5s right?
    Brakes are Elixir 5s. They stop great but they sound like crap so far. I have over 50 miles on the bike so far, and the brakes have not quieted down. We'll see...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Apparently its not normal. The switch on the shock got to a point where it no longer stopped at the "Climb" setting. It got to the point where could turn the lever 360 degrees to go around to the "Descend" setting. Bike is back at the shop while shock is sent back to Fox to fix it.

Yes, 142+ HiLo rear.
    Sorry, i must have misunderstood how yours was acting. Mine has had play since day one and I thought that is what you were referencing. Not fun to already have your shock out of commission.

Weird Spec is still outfitting these bikes with a hub that has such a high failure rate. Mine only made it 200 miles before I spun the guts out of it. Luckily it was upgraded under warranty.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Brakes are Elixir 5s. They stop great but they sound like crap so far. I have over 50 miles on the bike so far, and the brakes have not quieted down. We'll see...
    Why did they downgrade the brakes for 2013? The 12's have Elixir 7's

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    Weird Spec is still outfitting these bikes with a hub that has such a high failure rate. Mine only made it 200 miles before I spun the guts out of it. Luckily it was upgraded under warranty.
    I'm not sure they are. A lot of spec sheets I've seen say "New Specialized Disc, 4x sealed cartridge bearing" or "New Specialized Hi-Lo Disc, 4x sealed cartridge bearing"... so maybe they did rework the rear hubs a bit?

examples:
    Stumpjumper_Page_07 | Mountain Bike Review
    Stumpjumper_Page_09 | Mountain Bike Review
    Stumpjumper_Page_10 | Mountain Bike Review

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast