Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My New 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29er

50K views 91 replies 43 participants last post by  GnarBrahWyo 
#1 ·
I thought I would post some pics and first impressions of my 2013 Sumpy FSR Comp 29. I was expecting to get a closeout 2012, but Cognition Bikes in Mountain View had a killer deal on a 2013 Stumpy FSR 29er Comp, so I was happy to take the last size large off of their hands. This is my first Specialized MTB. The bike is completely stock except for the the Command Post.

I've only done one 20 mile ride on it so far where I was making adjustments along the way. First impressions are that I LOVE the Command Post, the suspension is still getting dialed in, but the CTD settings are much easier than previous damper adjustments IMO. AUTOSAG on the shock makes setup wonderfully simple. The CTD switch on the rear shock has a bit of play in it, so I may take it back to the shop to see if they can do something about that or if it is the same on other new shocks.

The bike feels solid, rides beautifully, and climbs perfectly on these familiar trails. According to Cyclemeter, I rode the 20 mile route faster on the Stumpy FSR faster than on my Air 9 HT, but that could have been the rest I got when making adjustments and the new bike adrenaline.

The Elixir 5 brakes are making some warbling sounds, but I suspect that the pads need to be broken in more than anything. I also learned that the Command Post seat mount needs to be very tight, otherwise big hits may cause the seat to swing nose up.

Attachments

See less See more
#81 ·
Wouldn't you know it, I go to buy a '13 Stumpy FSR Comp Evo 29 on Tuesday after seeing it on Saturday and making up my mind that is what I wanted and they sell it on Monday :(. Also, they say that is the last '13 Evo until the '14 comes out and they do not have a release date yet.

Now to decide if to go with the comp 29 or wait for the '14 Evo. Decision decisions....

#83 ·
Was the learning curve related to wheel size, suspension design or other? This will be my first 29er and first time using 2x10 drive but I'm stoked and excited. As this will be my first new bike in 7 years, I think it will inject some new passion in the ride.

#84 ·
Yeah it took me a while to get used to the 29er and 2x10. The bike will feel slower at times because the wheels are more stable at speed. You will use the smaller gear up front more and think you are a wuss for doing so, but when I rode with my 26er buddies I realized I was keeping up just fine (or better) but just not always in the big ring. Glad you are thinking of getting a light wheelset because I think having a heavy stock wheelset can kill the 29er experience a bit. Dialing in suspension takes some time too. At times I miss the snappy feel of a 26er but I really love the bike for the chunky and somewhat technical trails I ride out here.

#86 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of my new SJ Comp 29er in Blue/Gray. It was so worth waiting a week to get it in Blue. So far it's been riding great in the trails. Just completed a 36 mile ride last weekend through a lot of mud, grass, dirt roads and asphalt and the bike never had a problem. I have not riden it in the trails since I washed it after the ride, but it appears that everything is still working fine. It is also my first 29er and with a 2x10 drivetrain. I'm still trying to get used to it, but I'm pretty sure it won't take to long to fully enjoy the new set up.

Attachments

#92 ·
Hey y'all, unforeseen circumstances have caused me to put my bike on the market. Same bike in my photos on this thread. Selling with two wheelsets (stock and ztr arch ex 29ers), cassette upgrade and carbon cranks/bar for $3k. Will go lower if I can keep the carbon cranks. PM me if interested. (I am keeping the dropper for my next bike).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.