Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My New 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29er

50K views 91 replies 43 participants last post by  GnarBrahWyo 
#1 ·
I thought I would post some pics and first impressions of my 2013 Sumpy FSR Comp 29. I was expecting to get a closeout 2012, but Cognition Bikes in Mountain View had a killer deal on a 2013 Stumpy FSR 29er Comp, so I was happy to take the last size large off of their hands. This is my first Specialized MTB. The bike is completely stock except for the the Command Post.

I've only done one 20 mile ride on it so far where I was making adjustments along the way. First impressions are that I LOVE the Command Post, the suspension is still getting dialed in, but the CTD settings are much easier than previous damper adjustments IMO. AUTOSAG on the shock makes setup wonderfully simple. The CTD switch on the rear shock has a bit of play in it, so I may take it back to the shop to see if they can do something about that or if it is the same on other new shocks.

The bike feels solid, rides beautifully, and climbs perfectly on these familiar trails. According to Cyclemeter, I rode the 20 mile route faster on the Stumpy FSR faster than on my Air 9 HT, but that could have been the rest I got when making adjustments and the new bike adrenaline.

The Elixir 5 brakes are making some warbling sounds, but I suspect that the pads need to be broken in more than anything. I also learned that the Command Post seat mount needs to be very tight, otherwise big hits may cause the seat to swing nose up.

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
Good advice to put the seatpost paste on the red cups. That's a better solution that trying to get the single bolt super tight. It hasn't moved lately, but next time I loosen that bolt I will try this. Thanks again.

Oh, and my brakes have quieted down. The rear still makes some noise and gives some vibration if I am really squeezing it tight, but the front is quiet.

#2 ·
i just ordered the same bike. it should be here a couple weeks. im really excited to ride this thing. i am coming of a carbon stumpy expert 29er. what do you think of the wheelset? does rear hub have decent quick engagement? are the solid of do they fell spaghetti? I was considering the evo or carbon version also but opted for the comp so i can use extra cash on what upgrades will suit me better.

super nice bike and the best color combo also imo. i dont care for all the flat paint bikes. pics of this bike dont do it justice its way nicer looking in person.

#7 ·
I'll be pretty pissed off if brake noise doesn't go away. I'll give it 100 miles before I worry about it.
The Elixir 7s on my 2012 took at least 50-75 mile to stop being noisy. Mine made some pretty awesome turkey calls lol. I've yet to use a set of Avid brakes that were silent.

Anyway, that thing looks sick. Good looking color scheme!

I also became faster (and can ride longer) when I made the switch from my HT 29er to the stumpy. It feels like cheating. :D

#10 ·
Very nice bike, BrewMaster. I'm picking mine up later this afternoon. Can't wait to get it on the trails tomorrow. I ordered the Matte Black/Charcoal color scheme. Once I get 10 posts, I will share a photo with you.

#14 ·
I have a 2012 I have been riding since December. I changed the wheel set to Stans Crest. I have been working non-stop on vibration issues with the rear brake that seem to come and go.

The stock 130mm fork on this bike is actually a 140mm fork with a spacer. I found that I could not get "over-the-bar" far enough on climbs and felt like I was leaning back too much due to what I felt was too much slacker rake on the stock fork so I replaced the 130mm fork with a 120mm lowering the front end almost 2" to find the bike climbs much better with the lower front end. With the FOX 32 120 w/ FIT I have not noticed a decrease in front suspension performance.

It seems to me that Big S is slowly converting the Stumpjumper to a "trail" bike with the Camber as their XC bike.

#20 ·
Apparently its not normal. The switch on the shock got to a point where it no longer stopped at the "Climb" setting. It got to the point where could turn the lever 360 degrees to go around to the "Descend" setting. Bike is back at the shop while shock is sent back to Fox to fix it.

Yes, 142+ HiLo rear.

#17 ·
Brewmaster,

Sweet bike. I have basically the same bike on order and they tell me Red wont be available until late Sept/Oct so I am stuck with black on black. Would love to hear about the brakes, Elixir 5s right?

#27 ·
Picking up bike tomorrow. I will update on the shock lever fix and brakes once I have a chance to sneak in some rides.

The shop called and said the large chain ring had a missing tooth, so they replaced it as a warranty fix on SRAMs dime. I've never run SRAM cranks/rings; is this crankset going to be a problem or is it just a freak thing? Thoughts?

#28 ·
Congrats on the bike. Must admit I'm a bit chagrined that all levels of SJ's are coming with the red stripe that I thought was unique to my '12 S-works. Even the demo bikes look like my s-works now !

I put a 110/140 Talas 29'er fork on mine. I run it lowered 90% of the time and its perfect, and of course I have the 140 when its time to get rowdy. I definitely wouldn't want to climb with it in the 140, and my personal opinion is that 130 fork is too tall for normal XC on these bikes, at least if you like to climb.

#29 · (Edited)
Hi all,
This is my first post ...
Hope you don’t mind me asking the below questions on your thread....
I currently have a 2009 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon and looking at upgrading (?) changing it the new 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29er....

My queries are:

• As Specialized UK are not importing the EVO model, can the standard model be adjusted to a similar geometry to the EVO, ie slacker head angle etc – if so how,
o And secondly is it worthwhile doing so?
• What are the key riding differences between the 26” and 29” models,
• Are the Custom Formulae T1 breaks any good, (my current steed has Avid Elixir)
• Are the Roval Control Trails any good for a heavier rider (230lb), or are the Stan Hopes Flow a better choice?

Thank you in advance...

#36 · (Edited)
Hi all,
This is my first post ...
Hope you don't mind me asking the below questions on your thread....
I currently have a 2009 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon and looking at upgrading (?) changing it the new 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29er....

My queries are:

• As Specialized UK are not importing the EVO model, can the standard model be adjusted to a similar geometry to the EVO, ie slacker head angle etc - if so how,
o And secondly is it worthwhile doing so?
• What are the key riding differences between the 26" and 29" models,
• Are the Custom Formulae T1 breaks any good, (my current steed has Avid Elixir)
• Are the Roval Control Trails any good for a heavier rider (230lb), or are the Stan Hopes Flow a better choice?

Thank you in advance...
I guess this helps some: Lee Likes Bikes

You can't convert the links to EVO but it seems like 140mm fork is OK? (EDIT: actually, I am not sure about the conversion...it might be possible)

Lots of info on the link about the benefits of big wheels...:)

Waiting my FSR Evo 29er to arrive! It is taking too much time and just got to ride a loaner bike from the shop owner, the older Stumpy FSR 29er (w/110mm of travel)...that one is kind of train, too large frame for me (xl) and looooong chain stays but I am still pretty stoked about the magic carpet ride wagon wheels and full suspension gives! Can't wait to ride the right size frame (L) and the more modern geometry of EVO version.

#34 ·
Took delivery of stumpjumper comp carbon fsr XL last week, took for a tough trail first outing and it smoked it! Tackled many uphill technical sections I wasn't able to on my HT 26 er with some ease. Normally feel knackered after this route and felt I could do again Straightaway on the stumpy. I have had zero issues so far, fingers, etc, crossed. The command blacklite seatpost is phenomenal - inspiring a confidence downhill i never had - riding to a different level it feels. I am a competent climber according to my friends, usually in front, i climbed quicker with this than my hardtail - with ctd set- If in doubt buy it.

#37 ·
After a couple of months I can confirm what a fantastic bike this is. I have only changed the front tyre to maxxis ardent - big difference in grip. Breaks are fine as standard I find. Just takes a few weeks to get used to the longer wheelbase on tight switchbacks, you can't turn sharply and lean into it like with a 26er if moving slow over rough ground. I find I don't fight it, I make up for the speed gain on the rest of the route. Have fun with your new one!

#40 ·
Stump jumper comp carbon 29er fsr

Tyrich88, have had no problems with the avid elixirs (5 sl), no noise whatsoever so far. I weigh 213lbs and descended some tricky downhill at speed and these have done the job fine. On the L and XL, you get the bigger 200mm rotor, so maybe this helps? What's the issue you have heard?

#42 ·
Tyrich88, have had no problems with the avid elixirs (5 sl), no noise whatsoever so far. I weigh 213lbs and descended some tricky downhill at speed and these have done the job fine. On the L and XL, you get the bigger 200mm rotor, so maybe this helps? What's the issue you have heard?
You hit the lotto then. It's been an issue for a while, tons of complaints about them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.