Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member

My bike

My stumpy carbon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29er-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by The1spuicymeatbal View Post
    So what was the conclusion on the loose CTD lever on your rear Fox shock?? I just picked up a new SJ FSR Comp, and the lever has positive stops in Descend and Trail, but when you try to put it in Climb, it just wobbles all over the place. Asked the LBS about it, and they say that it's normal.... I just figure for 3000 bucks it should be perfect??
    I bought one a month ago and mine does the same thing. No problem...I usually leave it in Trail mode anyway. I am more worried about the squeaky front shock and super loud front brake. I have put a couple hundred miles on it and the brake is still really loud. The shock has quieted down a little but next week when I take it in for my check up/adjust I will find out what is up with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I forgot to add that I replaced the tires with Bronson WTB 2.2 tires. I ride in Annadel State park and think they are better for the dry hard trails in the summer. I will put the originals back on and see how they are this winter in the wet season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Irideon View Post
    I bought one a month ago and mine does the same thing. No problem...I usually leave it in Trail mode anyway. I am more worried about the squeaky front shock and super loud front brake. I have put a couple hundred miles on it and the brake is still really loud. The shock has quieted down a little but next week when I take it in for my check up/adjust I will find out what is up with it.
    I haven't had problems with my forks but after about 50km my brakes began to make all sorts of awful noises and vibrated like an SOB. Took it in for service last week and they cleaned them up, new pads, and bedded them in properly. Rode three hard rides since, no problems at all now, they are working very well. Hopefully they stay this way.

As for the CTD - mine is loose in trail mode too. Works just fine.

flowcus
    Hey GnarBrahWyo,

Any updates? I assume the snow has melted in Wyoming and you've had time to do some riding on the new sled. I have my sights on the same bike, with similar ideas on upgrades. I have ZTRs on my 26er and for the most part I love the feel of them. My friend has the carbon stumpy with carbon wheels and I'm trying to imagine how heavier the alloy bike will be in stock spec.

Thx.
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a hangover. Who knows what that means?

mtbr member
    Wouldn't you know it, I go to buy a '13 Stumpy FSR Comp Evo 29 on Tuesday after seeing it on Saturday and making up my mind that is what I wanted and they sell it on Monday . Also, they say that is the last '13 Evo until the '14 comes out and they do not have a release date yet.

Now to decide if to go with the comp 29 or wait for the '14 Evo. Decision decisions....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fcrider View Post
    Hey GnarBrahWyo,

Any updates? I assume the snow has melted in Wyoming and you've had time to do some riding on the new sled. I have my sights on the same bike, with similar ideas on upgrades. I have ZTRs on my 26er and for the most part I love the feel of them. My friend has the carbon stumpy with carbon wheels and I'm trying to imagine how heavier the alloy bike will be in stock spec.

Thx.
    Yeah,
    I have ridden it quite a bit actually. My bike with upgrades (new wheels, carbon bar, carbon cranks, dropper) weighs a touch over 28lbs. Quite light for what the bike has. The carbon frame will get you less than a pound of weight savings. Your call on whether the extra $1k is worth that 1lb. I said no and have my bike lighter than most of the stock carbon models from my other upgrades. Bike has a learning curve I have found but I don't think it can be beat when it comes to chunky single track riding. It loves to carve too.

flowcus
    Was the learning curve related to wheel size, suspension design or other? This will be my first 29er and first time using 2x10 drive but I'm stoked and excited. As this will be my first new bike in 7 years, I think it will inject some new passion in the ride.
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a hangover. Who knows what that means?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fcrider View Post
    Was the learning curve related to wheel size, suspension design or other? This will be my first 29er and first time using 2x10 drive but I'm stoked and excited. As this will be my first new bike in 7 years, I think it will inject some new passion in the ride.
    Yeah it took me a while to get used to the 29er and 2x10. The bike will feel slower at times because the wheels are more stable at speed. You will use the smaller gear up front more and think you are a wuss for doing so, but when I rode with my 26er buddies I realized I was keeping up just fine (or better) but just not always in the big ring. Glad you are thinking of getting a light wheelset because I think having a heavy stock wheelset can kill the 29er experience a bit. Dialing in suspension takes some time too. At times I miss the snappy feel of a 26er but I really love the bike for the chunky and somewhat technical trails I ride out here.

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen the '13 Stumpy FSR in the retro blue color? Deciding whether to buy it in the all black they have at the shop or order the retro blue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbaduba View Post
    Has anyone seen the '13 Stumpy FSR in the retro blue color? Deciding whether to buy it in the all black they have at the shop or order the retro blue.
    Here's a pic of my new SJ Comp 29er in Blue/Gray. It was so worth waiting a week to get it in Blue. So far it's been riding great in the trails. Just completed a 36 mile ride last weekend through a lot of mud, grass, dirt roads and asphalt and the bike never had a problem. I have not riden it in the trails since I washed it after the ride, but it appears that everything is still working fine. It is also my first 29er and with a 2x10 drivetrain. I'm still trying to get used to it, but I'm pretty sure it won't take to long to fully enjoy the new set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29er-north-carolina-2013-145.jpg  

My New 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29er-north-carolina-2013-189.jpg  

Last edited by Foxrider71; 09-17-2013 at 02:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxrider71 View Post
    Here's a pic of my new SJ Comp 29er in Blue/Gray. It was so worth waiting a week to get it in Blue. So far it's been riding great in the trails. Just completed a 36 mile ride last weekend through a lot of mud, grass, dirt roads and asphalt and the bike never had a problem. I have not riden it in the trails since I washed it after the ride, but it appears that everything is still working fine. It is also my first 29er and with a 2x10 drivetrain. I'm still trying to get used to it, but I'm pretty sure it won't take to long to fully enjoy the new set up.
    Thank you for the pic. The retro blue does look great and think that is what I will end up getting. Was thinking of waiting for the '14 Stumpy EVO models to come out but do not think I can wait that long for them to be released.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DEALAH View Post
    I haven't had problems with my forks but after about 50km my brakes began to make all sorts of awful noises and vibrated like an SOB. Took it in for service last week and they cleaned them up, new pads, and bedded them in properly. Rode three hard rides since, no problems at all now, they are working very well. Hopefully they stay this way.

As for the CTD - mine is loose in trail mode too. Works just fine.
    After a bunch of riding, The front shock quit squeaking. I also lube and clean the forks before each ride now at the suggestion of the LBS. Now, the front brakes are very quiet but seem to have glazed over and really don't stop me anymore. I am scheduled for my warranty tune up next week and will have them look at them.

mtbr member

my new FSR Comp 29er

My New 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29er-12569_610701098964792_1110239592_n.jpgMy New 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29er-996536_610700982298137_1940372139_n.jpg

waiting for dropper seatpost and xt pedal
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are you sure this is a Comp? did not know that they come in all black. How does it ride? What are your first impressions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tadem View Post
    Are you sure this is a Comp? did not know that they come in all black. How does it ride? What are your first impressions?
    2013 FSR Comp comes in 3 colors, the 2-tone black/gray above being one of them.

Only 2 colors for 2014 that I can see in the new dealer catalog, none of which do I like as much as my 2013 blue/silver.....

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    Hey y'all, unforeseen circumstances have caused me to put my bike on the market. Same bike in my photos on this thread. Selling with two wheelsets (stock and ztr arch ex 29ers), cassette upgrade and carbon cranks/bar for $3k. Will go lower if I can keep the carbon cranks. PM me if interested. (I am keeping the dropper for my next bike).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4