Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

My New 2012 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon EVO

Hey guys, I just got my new EVO the other day. Here are some picture I took before I get it dirty! So far it feels a lot better than my old EVO, can't wait for my broken arm to heal and hit the trails!

You can see the rest of the photos here: SJ Carbon EVO - a set on Flickr

mtbr member
    Looks sweet! Interesting singlehanded double brake thing you have going on there, can you explain?
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That is a sick bike. What do you like better on the 2012 than the 2011? I am looking at either getting a stumpy evo or enduro..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Beautiful bike man, I saw this sitting at my LBS and just stood there and blankly starred for minutes on end. Formula brakes, kashima shock. The whole build is sick.

Are you the guy with something wrong with your left hand? I remember someone else posting up a bike a while back on here with both levers on one side because he had issues with his left hand. Just curious if your that same person.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

mtbr member
    again,live pics for this 2012 line looks a lot better than Specialized web pics. Amazing bike man,enjoy !!

Flat six
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    Looks sweet! Interesting singlehanded double brake thing you have going on there, can you explain?
    He says in the OP he has a broken arm.

The Other Dude
    sweet ride man! I love the new stumpy evo, it puts a smile on my face every ride! Its a shredder for sure!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam
    Are you the guy with something wrong with your left hand? I remember someone else posting up a bike a while back on here with both levers on one side because he had issues with his left hand. Just curious if your that same person.
    Cam is right, I have an issue with my left arm which limits my use of my fingers, it's hard enough holding on let alone braking.

Quote Originally Posted by ggilings
    That is a sick bike. What do you like better on the 2012 than the 2011?
    The wheels are better, double engagement points than last year and the hub sounds a lot better. The rear feels stiffer and the suspension feels smoother. The bike is about 1.5 lighter and the tires are bigger, 2.3 front 2.2 rear compared to 2.2 front 2.0 rear. The brakes are definitely better as well!

Quote Originally Posted by drew and not u
    He says in the OP he has a broken arm.
    Sadly I broke my good arm (right) in a pretty bad downhill accident (hit a tree)

Thanks for all the comments on the bike, the bike is amazing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thx for the pics! Definitely look better than the specialized web pics.

I get mine Monday.... Cant wait!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    i love the colors, looks so crisp. Enjoy those pics before u go beat it up

mtbr member
    I've now noticed your nice and chunky ODI's. I guess it's time for me to move on from Spesh lousy handles...

mtbr member
    I took it for a ride at the trail close to my house and it feels a lot better than the older EVO which I didn't think was possible! Everything just felt smoother!

Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione
    I've now noticed your nice and chunky ODI's. I guess it's time for me to move on from Spesh lousy handles...
    Switching to the ODI / Oury Lock-OIn Grips was the first thing I did, the grips that come stock on the bike suck big time. Specialized makes a grip that is similar to the Oury but doesn't come stock on this bike, which I think it should.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyj
    Thx for the pics! Definitely look better than the specialized web pics.

I get mine Monday.... Cant wait!!
    I know how you feel, the wait is hard but worth it!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo View Post
    Cam is right, I have an issue with my left arm which limits my use of my fingers, it's hard enough holding on let alone braking.
    The bike looks good.

If you have problems with your left arm there are a few things to consider which might help when riding.

A standard round handlebar grip has a few disadvantages because it relies entirely on your grip strength to keep your hand in place. A handlebar grip with a flange on the outer end makes it less likely that your weak left hand will slip off as the flange will keep it on the grip.

ODI BMX lock on grips with outer flange.
    ODI S&M Clamp Down BMX Lock-On Bonus Pack | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

An ergonomic grip (such as the Ergon and Specialized Contour models) will also help you keep your left hand on the grip. The wider support wing section as the grip flares out means that unless you release your thumb your hand will stay securely in place without slipping outwards. The support wing could also be useful as a way of making sure that if your grip is weak your left hand won't unintentionally rotate around the grip.

Specialized Contour grips
    Specialized Bicycle Components : BG Contour Locking Grips

Ergon grips
    ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

If you have problems with controlling the bike then something like a Hopey steering damper might be worth looking at. It should help improve the bike's stability and make it easier to control in bumpy sections.

Hopey Steering Damper (Edit: I'm not totally sure if this will fit on a Specialized carbon frame with its integrated headset.)
    Welcome to Hopey.org

Comments:
    Lee Likes Bikes

Some pictures of what it looks like installed:
    Hopey Steering Dampner on a Pugs?

For the dual brakes you can also get thumb brake levers. It could be an option for your rear brake, although might be a bit tricky to fit around your bike's gear shifters.

Thumb brakes
    Adaption Kits

Last edited by WR304; 11-28-2011 at 02:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! I'll have to check in on those things, that steering damper seems like it might help a lot.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    If I was buying another specialized right now that would definitely be the one. So sick looking, no brains, and one of the best parts specs they've ever done on a stumpy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    If I was buying another specialized right now that would definitely be the one. So sick looking, no brains, and one of the best parts specs they've ever done on a stumpy.
    Agreed---except I wish it came with a Talas. That slack head angle seems to beg for one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi,

What size frame is it?

mtbr member
    Hey CoppellStereo, can you talk a little bit about the bike? How does it ride? How does it climb considering 150mm in front? Any issues whatsoever ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Oh! So Nice. Cant decide. If i Will order tis one or the enduro expert carbon. Any good advice? Live in sweden. Want to try some bikparks. Light dh.

What size is ut? Weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Fortet one thing. I normally ride ordinary trail in the Woods and in swedish moutains that is nit soo big

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
    Hey CoppellStereo, can you talk a little bit about the bike? How does it ride? How does it climb considering 150mm in front? Any issues whatsoever ?
    It rides awesome, you do notice the 150mm fork and the head angle on steep climbs, but nothing you can't overcome by scooting forward on your saddle some. This is the most amazing bike I've ridden so don't let this deter you from getting it. Also it comes with a Performance Fox and not the Factory as the website states.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjällman View Post
    Oh! So Nice. Cant decide. If i Will order tis one or the enduro expert carbon. Any good advice? Live in sweden. Want to try some bikparks. Light dh.

What size is ut? Weight?
    This bike is a medium and weighs around 27 with platform pedals, Garmin 800 plus cadence and water bottle cage.

This is a true do it all bike, it can go up hill just as well as it can go downhill. The Enduro is more for going down and not as much as going uphill. The suspension on the Enduro is pretty soft and doesn't climb as well as the Stumpjumper. I'd definitely get the Stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ok yes i thinking i Will order one tis week, can buy it for ā very okej price. How tall are you on ā medium?

Okej so ā fox performance form then

I AM 5.97 feet. Maybe large for me?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjällman View Post
    Ok yes i thinking i Will order one tis week, can buy it for ā very okej price. How tall are you on ā medium?

Okej so ā fox performance form then

I AM 5.97 feet. Maybe large for me?
    I'm the same height as you, medium will be perfect. I have the drop seatpost as far down in the frame as it can go and the seat height is just right, the large frame might be too big to use the full 125mm of travel of the seatpost.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Okej, very different with sizing. Many with our heigt is also on large. Maybe have to try find ā dekaler with m and l in stock. May be hard

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast