mtbr member
    Jul 2005

My first post, introduction and question.

Hi fellow Specialized drivers. I believe this is my first post...a little intro...

My very first mountain bike that I ever owned/bought is a 1996 Specialized Ground Control A1 (dual suspsension). I still have that bike and used it on a regular basis until it was replaced this year by a Stumpjumper 120 Expert. There is certainly a world of difference between the two bikes. My wife and kids all ride Specialized bikes as well.

A bike mechanic told me that there have been a few who complained that the crankcase of this bike was a "weak link", something about it flexing when peddling hard. The mechanic also stated that this would be his only upgrade to this bike. I've done the search thing on this forum but didn't come up with anything. Also, is this crankcase equal to or is the Shimano XT model?

Team Blindspot

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by SD858
    Hi fellow Specialized drivers. I believe this is my first post...a little intro...

My very first mountain bike that I ever owned/bought is a 1996 Specialized Ground Control A1 (dual suspsension). I still have that bike and used it on a regular basis until it was replaced this year by a Stumpjumper 120 Expert. There is certainly a world of difference between the two bikes. My wife and kids all ride Specialized bikes as well.

A bike mechanic told me that there have been a few who complained that the crankcase of this bike was a "weak link", something about it flexing when peddling hard. The mechanic also stated that this would be his only upgrade to this bike. I've done the search thing on this forum but didn't come up with anything. Also, is this crankcase equal to or is the Shimano XT model?

You are referring to the crankset. If the bike mechanic called it the "crankcase". My advice would be to find another mechanic.

If you have XT cranks now (which Specialized lists as stock for your bike on their website), you have very good cranks. Shimano makes very good cranks. Alot of posters in these forums actually prefer LX level cranks becuase they are a bit cheaper and performance is the same as XT's.

It sounds like someone is trying to sell you some new cranks when you really don't need them.

Enjoy your new ride.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    You are referring to the crankset. If the bike mechanic called it the "crankcase". My advice would be to find another mechanic.
    My fault..I made the mistake, it's the crankset.

If you have XT cranks now (which Specialized lists as stock for your bike on their website), you have very good cranks.
    That's what I'm trying to figure out. The Specialized site list it as "Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline". I'm assuming this is a custom crankset made by Shimano with Specialized criteria/specifics?

Enjoy your new ride.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SD858
    My fault..I made the mistake, it's the crankset.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. The Specialized site list it as "Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline". I'm assuming this is a custom crankset made by Shimano with Specialized criteria/specifics?
    Its essentially a LX Hollowtech crank. I had one on my 04 SJ FSR Expert. I was pretty good, but upgraded to the XT M60 Hollowtech II cranks. The BB has a plastic non drive side cup and there isn't a better BB to upgrade to (search for discussions on this or see spindle lengths or BB options for LX M752 cranks). And although the Specialized specs say 118 mm spindle and 50mm chainline, its really 121mm and 47.5mm respectively.

Dave

Who are the brain police?
    If it aint broke and doesnt bother you, why replace it? If its broke or bothers you, replace it.

Some mechs say the darndest things... while some are fantastic, others talk out of their @$$.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Surely that depends on the exact spec of the Stumpy, don't some of them ship with Octalink splines and a Deore bottom bracket?

My bike has dark grey Octalink cranks with a Deore BB but stiffness has never been an issue. At some point I intend to upgrade the cranks to maybe RaceFace Atlas or Shimano XT, but both of these have an integral axle on one of the cranks and an external bearing system claimed to be much more durable than a cartridge type.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The stock hybrid Shimano crankset on these bikes is fine, albeit not the lightest. I would be astonished if you could determine that it was flexing enough to be an issue for you without having the idea planted, unless you are a really big, super fit person who rides out of the saddle a lot.

I replaced this crankset on my 120 with an XTR because I found a great deal and the $$ was burning a hole in my pocket. I don't think the XTR is noticeably stiffer, just about 1/3 pound lighter, with much higher quality BB and bearings.

If I were you, I would ride the stock crankset until the BB wears out before considering a new one, unless you have lots of extra cash. Cheaper, easier places to save some weight with upgrades are the stem, handlebars, seatpost, saddle etc. But that is a great bike completely stock.

mechmann_mtb
    i was told the XT with external BB is about half a pound lighter. if you are looking to lighten your bike and have the extra cash buy em. it is not an essential modification by any means.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks guys/gals. Right now I don't see any reason to replace anything on this bike, I'll replace the stock parts as necessary due to wear and tear..or if there's just a good deal that can't be passed up.