Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

my 99 FSR custom build in classifieds

839 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  SteveUK 
#1 ·
In case anybody is looking..

details-99 Stumpy FSR XC Pro, warranty chain stay upgrade, 2000 SID XC, 03 Float R Pushed-custom tuned for aggressive XC 195lb rider weight. MRP X link with needle bearing drop out kit-buttery smooth 90mm travel. Full 98 XT 8 speed build, rapid fire shifters, XT cranks, XT V brakes. Titec flat bar, Ritchey seat post and bar ends, Flite ti saddle, Bontranger 90mm stem, mix of Avid Flack jacket and gore tex cables. Mavic X217 rims/DT Swiss/Ringle front hub-XT Rear-nearly new Velociraptors-one is wire bead...front I think.

Even with that old boat anchor wheel/tire set, it's a sub 27 lb bike. Just picked up from the mechanic on Saturday, drop outs serviced, fork oil changed. Bike has lots of scratches, but mechanically is in great shape. Rear shifter pod was replaced in 2005. The bike has been sitting in the garage since fall 05-I built up a new 5" travel Stumpy in early 06.

This bike has been very well taken care of, is light, tight and fast. You could shed 1 lb by just putting tires and converting to Stans.

See the ad for more info and pictures. Asking $550 plus shipping.

Thanks for reading, and happy riding

See less See more
#4 ·
oh well

thanks for your opinion. I've been tracking similar bikes on ebay for over a year now. I've watched more than one bone stock 99 Stumpy FSR XC pro go for that money and more. I thought it was a fair price considering the much higher part spec build, let alone the King headset,Pushed Float R and MRP goodies. Those extra's alone cost approx $500 when new.

Granted, this bike has been ridden, and it has the cosmetic damage to prove it. However, from a purely performance standpoint, it's a terriffic bike. If you've never ridden an older Stumpy with the MRP goodies, let alone one with Push's magic tuning, it might be hard to justify. The package is simply magic!

Anyway, I have no need for a second short travel mtb, so it's gotta go. I'll consider your advice when I set the reserve on ebay. I was hoping to get enpugh to cover the expenses of having PUSH service my current Fork and shock, as well as some other goodies. But any bike money, in my opinion, is money well spent.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, and have a great 08 season on the bike.

#5 ·
Agreed, the PUSH makes a huge difference to the Fox shock. I was amazed by the difference in performance when I had my DHX tuned. You could let people know what you weigh and for which style of riding the shock was tuned for, otherwise the new owner could find themselves sitting on what would effectively be a incorrectly tuned shock.
It's almost a little sad that these older bikes lose so much of their value. £250 ($500) wouldn't buy you that much of a new bike, certainly nothing that would ride as nicely as your bike could do if it was set up appropriately.

My first 'proper' bike was a used '98 FSR which a friend gave to me for free (he has a lot to answer for!!). I had a lot of fun on that bike (before I snapped it); the BETD link with Stratos Helix Expert went very well with the FSR set-up. I'm sure I understand how much enjoyment you've had from your bike, but, as I've said, the 'market' doesn't really value sentiment very much.

You have a good season, too; whatever you're riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.