Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My 2014 Epic Expert ( non WC)

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Devastazione 
#1 ·
….and the very lousy Specialized's quality check :madmax::madmax: Very bad paint job and a cable housing that looked like was an appetizer for mice. LBS already alerted,I'll get a new frame sometimes in hopefully late january. In the mean time I was told I can keep using the bike as it is ( really ?? :skip: )

The bike performs flawlessly. We are light years away from the 2012 Expert I've owned. For those of you out there familiar with a Lefty equipped Cannondale F29 the handling is pretty much there…and it's not a WC frame we're talking about ! Just amazing. Also I don't feel stretched the way I used to feel on my old 2012. Once again Specialized's size L for those who like me are 6.ft is perfect.

Upgrades are XTR cassette,chain and shifters. Easton Carbon bar and XTR pedals. With only one bottle cage,XTR pedals,tubeless with sealant setup the bike weight at 11.3 kg. Did not bother with the 2nd bottle cage and the SWAT box as I always carry a backpack. I have to say tho that the SWAT box sort of complete the design of the bike so I'll see in the next days.
Can anybody confirm if the SWAT box comes Co2 kit aswell? Mine did not…is that right ?
I was not fully convinced about the full red color but I'm loving it. It gives the idea of an instant classic Specialized 2009/2010 color or maybe a test bike,wich to me means no frills,just go out and ride this thing,fast !!
The chipped paint brakes my heart but there is nothing I can do about it.
The Brain truly is a lot more small bump compliant,not crazy about it. I've had to play a bit with the Autosag but once again used my own preference pressure.

Some pics and the final family shot. Stumpy FSR is for sale,Roval Control trail SL wheels did not make the trick in making it more livelier….:nono:

[URL="

See less See more
#2 ·
The bike looks good in red. It's a shame about those chips in the paint though.:(

What's the difference in handling between this bike and your old Epic? Front end stability? Better suspension?

Are you planning on keeping the Magura MTS brakes on your new bike or swapping them over to the XTR brakes from your Stumpjumper FSR? Are you going to swap the carbon wheels also, so that the Roval Control SL wheels are on the 2014 Epic?

In terms of feeling less stretched have you got the same saddle setback and measured position as you used on your 2012 Epic Expert? It looks like you've got the saddle slid quite forwards on its rails in these pictures, which would make you less stretched out. Looking at the geometry the 2014 Epic in a size Large has a longer toptube than the 2012 Epic did, although as stock the stem on the Large 2014 Epic (100mm) is 5mm shorter than the stock stem on the Large 2012 Epic (105mm): :)

2012 Epic Expert:
http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/archive/2012/epic/epicexpertcarbon29#geometry

2014 Epic Expert:
http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/mountain/epic/epic-expert-carbon-29#geometry

#3 ·
Oem carbon Roval wheels on this 2014 model comes lighter then the control trail sl on my Stumpy,so I'm gonna keep them.
If internal cable routing and bleeding was not an issue i would have swapped brakes but honestly these Magura are very similar to Shimano,i was pleasantly surprised. And besides that a buddy of mine will buy my Stumpy and praised me to give him the bike with xtr brakes.
Ok...stem seemed noticeably shorter than the 2012 one actually..

Better front end stability for sure,as I've said it seems pretty close to my cannondale f29,just amazing. Suspension so far i have to say i like 2012's harshness a bit better,but that is just me.

#4 ·
Having a 15mm thru axle fork is one addition that should result in an improved front end feel for the 2014 Epic Expert when compared to a stock 2012 Epic Expert, which had a QR fork.

One advantage of having a new frame on the way is that if you do decide to change brakes the internal routing can be done at the same time as that switch over. It's like having an extended demo for the next month.:)

#5 ·
I've thought about shipping my xtr brakes to my LBS when the time will come but I'm afraid they are a little heavier than Magura. Besides that the Maguras despite the mixed reviews are performing flawlessly,i guess the very careful bed in played a major role.

#7 ·
Looks sharp in red! Sucks about the paint chips though. I like you was pretty surprised with the Magura brakes. I thought it was going to be the first thing to go, but I really like them. Stock pads aren't that great after some miles, Magura says the stock ones are for longevity so they are harder. Squeak a bit from time to time, but cleaning them with fine grit sand paper and cleaning the rotors with rubbing alcohol eliminates it when the problem arises.

#12 ·
Ok so I'm not getting a new bike but a new frame,wich is going to be the mighty Marathon frame ! That's pretty cool as I originally wanted the Marathon but it was sold out,now I will have an XTR Marathon,pretty happy with that. Just ordered XTR XC brakes. Thank you Specialized !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.