Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

My 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Carbon EVO build thread

I currently own a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Elite which has been "EVO-fied" (rp23/150 revelation), but after nearly 2 years I'm ready for something new. I absolutely love my SJ and it fits me perfectly but there were a few things on it that I wanted to improve. The 2013 Carbon EVO seemed to fit all my requirements. Stiffer front and rear, and a lighter, stronger frame.

I looked at buying the fully built version, but it wasnt spec'd how I wanted and I wasnt a huge fan of the Black,Orange and Blue.

Here is the frame I picked up.

2013 Stumpjumper FSR Carbon EVO frameset.
    Size - Medium
    Weight - 5.3 lbs on the LBS scale.

For the front end I wanted something a bit stiffer than the Revelation 150 on my current bike, so the new Fox 34 was an easy choice. It started off as a Talas (I wanted black lowers) but it being converted to a float and lowered to 150mm once the float kit arrives.

Handlebars -I went with the new Raceface Sixc carbon bars. They are 725mm, strong and light.

Wheelset- I picked up a set of Roval Control Trail ELs on clearance. They have DT Swiss 240 hubs and it was easy to convert to 142 spacing and swap to freehub to the XX1 version. I'm only 160 lbs so I think they will hold up fine for me. If not I'll get some Traverse Carbon wheels or something similar.

Brakes- 2012 Shimano XT. One of the few items I'll be reusing from my current bike.

Rotors- Shimano RT86 Icetech 180/160

Pedals- Shimano XT trail

Tires - Undecided

Drivetrain - SRAM XX1. I've always wanted to run 1x10 on my current bike but we do have some big climbs in our area so I didnt want to give up that "bailout" gear. I think the big 42 in the back will take care of that!

more too come....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    This tread is useless without pics.

mtbr member
    ??? It has a bunch of pix...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nice! I am following this like a hawk.

Will you be performing the Float conversion or letting Fox do it? I'd love to see how that is done.

mtbr member
    My LBS will be doing the swap once the parts arrive. I'll post pix on the process when it happens. The drivetrain wont be out until Oct/Nov, so the build is going to take a little time.

mtbr member
    That black carbon frame is some kind of sexy! I have the 2012 yellow and black, would have much preferred the all black stealth mode. I have the Fox32 Float, will be interested to see if your move to Fox 34 adds any benefit. I've not ridden any fork besides a 32mm, and wonder if the SJ Evo is missing anything by not having 34mm or 36mm option up front.

Congrats on a beauty bike.

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Really nice build you have progressing. I have the same frame I got last week and I am building it up with some I9 Enduros (getting here today hopefully) and parts from my last bike. I will be single ring 1x9 to start moving to a 1x10 in a couple months.

I would be very interested to know how you feel the 34 performs both in terms of stiffness and the compression tuning. I will be running an older Talas 36 RC2 (100 - 150mm) on mine to start to determine if I want the travel adjust option or not. Then I will likely upgrade to a 2013 Talas 36 RC2 which I will convert to a Float (also to have a black fork) reduced to 150mm, but part of me is still wondering about a 34 instead. I'll be following your build as well. Enjoy!

Should be riding mine later this week and can post impressions if anyone is interested

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just ordered mine on monday.Bit of a pain spesh are not doing the 26 in australia had to get my dealer to get me one from New Zealand.Got the complete build, got a Thomson 50mm on the way. Enve DH bars, Xtr trail pedals. Cant wait.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice post! I have just recieved my complete version of the same bike.

I am also considering rebuilding the Talas fork for a Float. I would also like to change the legs to kashima, but I am not sure if this is worth the cash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    interested in selling your old frame? PM me... thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    trying to respond but i dont have enough messages posted to reply!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    sorry for these lame posts, but i think i can reply to you now! LOL

mtbr member
    Mr. Lynch nice build you got going you won't be disappointed. Love seeing custom EVO's being transform into a beast. I have a Talas 36 converted to a float lowered to 150mm and love it.
    Last edited by 5power; 10-19-2012 at 06:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice! I've talked with a few guys that had modified 36s on EVOs. One guy has a 180/140 Talas a buddy gave him and he runs it at 140 all the time and loves the stiffness.

I'm 160lbs so I'm hoping a 34 will be perfect for me. If I was bigger I probably would have gone with a 2013 Enduro with a 36.

Yesterday I finally decided on tires, and they are pretty much backordered everywhere. Not a big deal since the drivetrain is still atleast 5 weeks out. I've ran Specialized Purgatory for nearly 2 years and I want to try something else so I went with Continental Trail Kings. Here in the PNW we have lots of wet rooty trails and I hear the TKs have incredible traction.

mtbr member
    I added some decals over the weekend. Not sure if I will keep them or not. Instead of "Expert EVO", I did XX1Pert EVO with the 1 and the P combined. I'm going to be running XX1 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The decal is the equivalent of putting a neon sign that says "Mona Lisa" on the Mona Lisa.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The bike is looking pretty good!

mtbr member
    As soon as my tires arrive (Conti Trail kings) I'll install the fork, stem, bars, tires/wheels, rotors, command post and saddle.

mtbr member
    Mr. Lynch....where are you with this build? Please tell us that bike has seen dirt and what your impressions of the F34 are.

mtbr member
    I'm still waiting for the drivetrain (xx1) , and for fox to send the rest of the fork parts. I'm converting the Talas to float and dropping it to 150, but they didn't send the shuttle bumper to lower the fork, or the valve cap. That stuff should arrive tomorrow. Once that arrives I can convert the fork and mount it. I did revieve my tires last week though. I went with Conti Trail Kings, which were sold out everywhere. I have the tires and rotors mounted (180/160 Icetech).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good luck with XX1, word from Sram is that it is not going to be available until December now...QC on the cassette....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would build it with X0 and call it a day, for a few months and then sell the X0 parts...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anyone have a large frame only for sale? 2012

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hefeweizan View Post
    I would build it with X0 and call it a day, for a few months and then sell the X0 parts...
    I considered go that route, but a full XO build was actually a good deal more expensive than XX1. Then I'd also lose money selling the XO stuff. I have a 2011 SJ right now that I LOVE riding, so I have no problem waiting to build up my new bike exactly how I want it.

mtbr member
    My fork will be done this weekend, so we are going to build up the bike on Tuesday. I have everything except for a drivetrain, so I can get a good idea of what the bike will look like.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast