Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

My 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Carbon EVO build thread

I currently own a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Elite which has been "EVO-fied" (rp23/150 revelation), but after nearly 2 years I'm ready for something new. I absolutely love my SJ and it fits me perfectly but there were a few things on it that I wanted to improve. The 2013 Carbon EVO seemed to fit all my requirements. Stiffer front and rear, and a lighter, stronger frame.

I looked at buying the fully built version, but it wasnt spec'd how I wanted and I wasnt a huge fan of the Black,Orange and Blue.

Here is the frame I picked up.

2013 Stumpjumper FSR Carbon EVO frameset.
    Size - Medium
    Weight - 5.3 lbs on the LBS scale.

For the front end I wanted something a bit stiffer than the Revelation 150 on my current bike, so the new Fox 34 was an easy choice. It started off as a Talas (I wanted black lowers) but it being converted to a float and lowered to 150mm once the float kit arrives.

Handlebars -I went with the new Raceface Sixc carbon bars. They are 725mm, strong and light.

Wheelset- I picked up a set of Roval Control Trail ELs on clearance. They have DT Swiss 240 hubs and it was easy to convert to 142 spacing and swap to freehub to the XX1 version. I'm only 160 lbs so I think they will hold up fine for me. If not I'll get some Traverse Carbon wheels or something similar.

Brakes- 2012 Shimano XT. One of the few items I'll be reusing from my current bike.

Rotors- Shimano RT86 Icetech 180/160

Pedals- Shimano XT trail

Tires - Undecided

Drivetrain - SRAM XX1. I've always wanted to run 1x10 on my current bike but we do have some big climbs in our area so I didnt want to give up that "bailout" gear. I think the big 42 in the back will take care of that!

more too come....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    This tread is useless without pics.

mtbr member
    ??? It has a bunch of pix...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nice! I am following this like a hawk.

Will you be performing the Float conversion or letting Fox do it? I'd love to see how that is done.

mtbr member
    My LBS will be doing the swap once the parts arrive. I'll post pix on the process when it happens. The drivetrain wont be out until Oct/Nov, so the build is going to take a little time.

mtbr member
    That black carbon frame is some kind of sexy! I have the 2012 yellow and black, would have much preferred the all black stealth mode. I have the Fox32 Float, will be interested to see if your move to Fox 34 adds any benefit. I've not ridden any fork besides a 32mm, and wonder if the SJ Evo is missing anything by not having 34mm or 36mm option up front.

Congrats on a beauty bike.

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Really nice build you have progressing. I have the same frame I got last week and I am building it up with some I9 Enduros (getting here today hopefully) and parts from my last bike. I will be single ring 1x9 to start moving to a 1x10 in a couple months.

I would be very interested to know how you feel the 34 performs both in terms of stiffness and the compression tuning. I will be running an older Talas 36 RC2 (100 - 150mm) on mine to start to determine if I want the travel adjust option or not. Then I will likely upgrade to a 2013 Talas 36 RC2 which I will convert to a Float (also to have a black fork) reduced to 150mm, but part of me is still wondering about a 34 instead. I'll be following your build as well. Enjoy!

Should be riding mine later this week and can post impressions if anyone is interested

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just ordered mine on monday.Bit of a pain spesh are not doing the 26 in australia had to get my dealer to get me one from New Zealand.Got the complete build, got a Thomson 50mm on the way. Enve DH bars, Xtr trail pedals. Cant wait.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice post! I have just recieved my complete version of the same bike.

I am also considering rebuilding the Talas fork for a Float. I would also like to change the legs to kashima, but I am not sure if this is worth the cash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    interested in selling your old frame? PM me... thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    trying to respond but i dont have enough messages posted to reply!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    sorry for these lame posts, but i think i can reply to you now! LOL

mtbr member
    Mr. Lynch nice build you got going you won't be disappointed. Love seeing custom EVO's being transform into a beast. I have a Talas 36 converted to a float lowered to 150mm and love it.
    Last edited by 5power; 10-19-2012 at 06:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice! I've talked with a few guys that had modified 36s on EVOs. One guy has a 180/140 Talas a buddy gave him and he runs it at 140 all the time and loves the stiffness.

I'm 160lbs so I'm hoping a 34 will be perfect for me. If I was bigger I probably would have gone with a 2013 Enduro with a 36.

Yesterday I finally decided on tires, and they are pretty much backordered everywhere. Not a big deal since the drivetrain is still atleast 5 weeks out. I've ran Specialized Purgatory for nearly 2 years and I want to try something else so I went with Continental Trail Kings. Here in the PNW we have lots of wet rooty trails and I hear the TKs have incredible traction.

mtbr member
    I added some decals over the weekend. Not sure if I will keep them or not. Instead of "Expert EVO", I did XX1Pert EVO with the 1 and the P combined. I'm going to be running XX1 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The decal is the equivalent of putting a neon sign that says "Mona Lisa" on the Mona Lisa.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The bike is looking pretty good!

mtbr member
    As soon as my tires arrive (Conti Trail kings) I'll install the fork, stem, bars, tires/wheels, rotors, command post and saddle.

mtbr member
    Mr. Lynch....where are you with this build? Please tell us that bike has seen dirt and what your impressions of the F34 are.

mtbr member
    I'm still waiting for the drivetrain (xx1) , and for fox to send the rest of the fork parts. I'm converting the Talas to float and dropping it to 150, but they didn't send the shuttle bumper to lower the fork, or the valve cap. That stuff should arrive tomorrow. Once that arrives I can convert the fork and mount it. I did revieve my tires last week though. I went with Conti Trail Kings, which were sold out everywhere. I have the tires and rotors mounted (180/160 Icetech).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good luck with XX1, word from Sram is that it is not going to be available until December now...QC on the cassette....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would build it with X0 and call it a day, for a few months and then sell the X0 parts...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anyone have a large frame only for sale? 2012

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hefeweizan View Post
    I would build it with X0 and call it a day, for a few months and then sell the X0 parts...
    I considered go that route, but a full XO build was actually a good deal more expensive than XX1. Then I'd also lose money selling the XO stuff. I have a 2011 SJ right now that I LOVE riding, so I have no problem waiting to build up my new bike exactly how I want it.

mtbr member
    My fork will be done this weekend, so we are going to build up the bike on Tuesday. I have everything except for a drivetrain, so I can get a good idea of what the bike will look like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Carbon vs Evo

How much difference does the carbon really make beyond the cool factor?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    In my country basically every specialized frame cost "almost" as much as a whole complete bike, therefore it does not make sense to buy frame only, even though I get about 15% discount from my dealer on all purchases. How does it work in your country?

mtbr member
    I could have bought the full bike for $5k, and the frameset was $2k. I figured I could build up a better than stock bike for $5k.

Today we found out Fox sent the wrong parts to drop the fork to 150, so the build is pushed back until Thursday as we wait for parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    is this regular price for the frameset and the bike? or a price after some big discounts? thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    nice lookin ride so far as i can see from pics

dude i know is building up a carbon evo 2013 and put on the rear triangle from a 2013 stumpy s-works.....seems like everything fit fine and looks pretty good....jus fyi

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    oh btw, i hava 2012 evo expert and i ordered the fox 34 from fox and asked them to drop to 150mm....the didnt do it but i paid for it

anyhow.....doesnt really feel bad at 160mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've had my 12 stumpy with a 34 set set at 160 travel for about 6 months now. I'd never go back to 150.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yea when i kinda figured out it wasnt lowered, i was pissed at first but then i noticed alittle less pedal strikes on the trails so im cool with it now....but it is ALITTLE less

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NSPF1 View Post
    How much difference does the carbon really make beyond the cool factor?
    Last year I really wanted to build up my own bike, just like Mr. Lynch is doing here. The frame option last year was aluminum but Specialized sold out of them all by January. I was crushed. My bike shop took pity on me and sold me an expert carbon evo at a very discounted price. I didn't want a carbon bike much for the same reasons you are posting. Once I got it though, my opinion changed. I was amazed at how much lighter it was and stiffer it felt on the trails. I ride with a few other guys with really nice aluminum all mountain bikes. My friends also have very light components and their bikes feel like heavy tanks compared to mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    and to add to that.....IMO, it feels like carbon has a better ride quality on the trail.....just feels quieter and better

mtbr member
    When I compared the stock 160 34 to a 150 34, there was nearly an inch difference in axle to crown height. It didnt make sense since that is closer to 30mm, not 10mm. We swapped the shuttle bumper and now the fork is the same exact height as the one that comes stock on the SJ Evo carbons.

When my 2011 SJ was all built up, it has a 67 degree headtube angle and I felt it was perfect for the stuff I ride. Not too squirrelly on the climbs, but real stable on the descents. I loved it With the fox 34 at 160, it slackened it out to around 66.5 degrees, which is basically Enduro territory.

I could have just ran a little more sag, but I wanted to try the bike as intended first, and I can always swap the 160 Talas back in if I want.

A buddy at my LBS is trying to talk me into ordering an S-works rearend and go full carbon. They come in all black and would match perfect, but I'm not sure what it will do for me.

The bike is fully build minus the drivetrain. I'll try to post pix up tonight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not sure if the carbon rear end is worth it. I've seen 2 sworks epics at my lbs that have the seat and chain stays sheared in half due to just bottoming out the rear suspension. I am curious on the weight difference. 100g? More? I really have no idea.

mtbr member
    It is dark and rainy here, so this is all i got for now...

2013 Fox 34 Float 150
    2012 Shimano XT brakes
    Shimano Icetech 180/160 rotors
    75mm Specialized Proset stem
    725mm Raceface Sixc carbon bars
    Roval Control Trail EL w/xD freehub (for xx1 cassette)
    Continental TrailKing 2.2 Protection tires run tubeless
    Specialized Command Post Blacklite
    Specialized Henge Expert seat
    Specialized Rocca locking grips w/integrated command post lever

Left to install:
    Sram xx1 Drivetrain- 32t front ring, 175 cranks
    MRP AMG bash/guide
    Shimano XT trail pedals

As it sits with bottom bracket installed it weighs 20.8 lbs. Im hoping the full build comes in just under 26 lbs.

The Other Dude
    Looking good, real good! You have me interested in the carbon rear end, do you know if it will work? I know i wanted to do the same on my 29er evo, but was told there were clearance issues with the evo geo/shock length and the standard sworks carbon rear end. Let me know how it goes. I have a lyrik on mine now at 160, it's sweet, but the 34 is intriguing, I do like how stiff the bigger forks are though, being 190lbs and racing dh a bit, I appreciate the bigger/stiffer fork. Mine tips the scales at just a few ounces over/under 25lbs depending on the tires. Thats with pedals, cage and a computer. It's a killer bike for sure, so versatile.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    lookin good love the all black too!!

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The carbon rear triangle won't work on the 29", only the 26". The seat stay bridge can contact the seat tube on the 29".

I've been running the 26" with the 34 at 160mm this year and it's a fun bike. Works quite well with that fork at that travel but it's useless with the 32 at 150mm. Overall the head angle is a degree too steep on that frame to run 150mm, same with the Enduro with the 34 at 160mm.

Anyway I'm not to worried anymore. I've done a couple of rides on a friends 29" Evo and it smashes the 26" in every area. That's coming from the most anti 29" guy on the planet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi,
    is the 5.3 lbs the weight for the frame with shock or just the frame - i assume it's the weight of the package?
    I like this frame but it's really hard to get it here in Germany
    Interesting choice of drive train and fork here
    I hope you are going to show us some quality pix of the bike when the job is done

Ralf

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    XX1 is coming very soon because my local shop is already getting the Epic XX1 and Stumpjumper XX1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rappelkiste View Post
    Hi,
    is the 5.3 lbs the weight for the frame with shock or just the frame - i assume it's the weight of the package?
    I like this frame but it's really hard to get it here in Germany
    Interesting choice of drive train and fork here
    I hope you are going to show us some quality pix of the bike when the job is done

Ralf
    The frame was weighed with the rear shock, pf30 bb installed and the headset install (from factory.

The drivetrain should be within 2 weeks. I will get some detaiked pix and give a ride report real soon. I'm hoping the bike comes in between 25-26 lbs..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm torn between the SJ Evo or the Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon. I'm thinking the DW link will give me better pedaling and climbing capability and the price is 700 dollars cheaper. However, the EVO, based on reviews, seems more of what I want in terms of jumping, manualing, and agility. But, can anyone tell me how good the EVO pedals uphill? I like the steeper seat angle which I know helps. Does the FSR hinder the climbs? What about pedal-bob and anti-squatting characteristics? I guess you gotta use the propedal. I know the EVO is freeride capable I just wonder how fast it can scramble uphill since most trails I ride are ups and downs that I like to maintain at a fast pace.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I had the pleasure of being able to test ride both the stumpy fsr evo and Mach 5.7 back to back on the same day. Admittedly they are both excellent bikes. I think you truly need a few days to really get intimate with a bike's characteristics. There's a lot to adjust between all the fork/shock settings... Bar angles, stem lengths, stack heights, etc. both are very capable bikes but what got me between the two was how they fit me. The stumpy felt like home immediately, hopped on and I was ready to go... I didn't feel Ike a wanted to tweak anything, except shock settings. The Pivot, I wanted to change a few things immediately. I was less sure of how I would make it as comfortable and natural feeling as the stumpy felt already - so for me, that made the choice obvious. They both rode well, I just felt more immediately comfortable on the stumpy. I think it chose me, actually.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I had the pleasure of being able to test ride both the stumpy fsr evo and Mach 5.7 back to back on the same day. Admittedly they are both excellent bikes. I think you truly need a few days to really get intimate with a bike's characteristics. There's a lot to adjust between all the fork/shock settings... Bar angles, stem lengths, stack heights, etc. both are very capable bikes but what got me between the two was how they fit me. The stumpy felt like home immediately, hopped on and I was ready to go... I didn't feel Ike a wanted to tweak anything, except shock settings. The Pivot, I wanted to change a few things immediately. I was less sure of how I would make it as comfortable and natural feeling as the stumpy felt already - so for me, that made the choice obvious. They both rode well, I just felt more immediately comfortable on the stumpy. I think it chose me, actually.
    Thanks for that. true that the bike characteristics can be altered so much with component choice, i.e. stem length, seat postition, HB length, etc. Nowadays there are so many great bikes. I was just wondering if the Mach 5.7 would be described as agile and playful. From the reviews the SJ EVO can manual and air confidently. I'm just wondering if the 5.7 can confidently air and manual. Also, can the SJ EVO climb like the 5.7? Any advice since you got to test both? Or anyone else? Thanks guys, I'm just looking for sound advice between these 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    The Pivot is a great bike but I chose the SJ Evo over the 5.7 carbon. Geometry is very silimary but the 5.7 did not feel like a bike that has nearly 6" of travel to me. It does climb great, but to me dw-link feels silimar to FSR with propedal on. The pivot felt faster on smooth climbs, but I prefer the active nature of FSR on technical climbs. It seems to track and grip better.

When pushed hard the 5.7 rides real nice but anything less and it feels like a 4" bike to me. It is a little rough on the small bumps. Some people really like the firm feel of DW-link, I just personally love the plush feel of FSR and I like the option of going firm or plush with the flick of switch on the shock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Is the rear spacing the 142+mm or just at 142mm? I'm wondering if I could run any 12x142 wheelset or does the SJ EVO take only the Roval wheels because it is not a true 142mm spaing but a 142+.

mtbr member
    The rear is able to accept 142+ wheels, but standard 142 fit just fine. My wheelset is 135 Rovals converted to 142. All 142+ frames can use regular 142 hubs, but regular 142 frames can not use 142+ hubs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast