Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My 2013 15.5 S-WORKS stumpjumper HT building thread

53K views 120 replies 21 participants last post by  phlegm 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!!! finally I have the frameset!!:D is a 2013 stumpjumper s-works ht 29er 15.5"
I bought it in my LBS. I had so many 26 bikes before.. first time in a 29er!!
I want a light bike, the lightest bike I had Was a fuji 22lb 10oz now I hope this bike weights 20lb
Here are some pics!! and the official weight of the frame :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Frame small 15.5": 1120gr (no bb, no headset, just the seatpost clamp)
Brain fork carbon: 1470gr
stan's Ztr race gold wheelset: 1350 (pair) (620 front...730 rear)

I have a problem with the seatpost and please guys u have to help me with this I bought a TUNE SCHWARZES STUCK CARBON 27.2 seatpost (120gr) from a bike shop in germany but I bought it too long a 400mm seatpost with a maximun insertion depth of 170mm is the wrong size for me!!! I need a 350mm so the 400mm tune seatpost have to go I will post it in ebay if any one is interested please let me know!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok I bought two wheelsets the ztr race gold for racing and a ZTR crest wheelset for riding and training, so there is the pic of the race gold wheelset weight!!!

I will build the bike with a xtr groupset... Yeah I will post more pics of the build and a list with complete weights soon!!!
some pics!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
Oh, i have 2 saddles - a Phenom Pro with carbon rails in 143 mm width and a tune speedneedle alcantara, the narrow size, not marathon. Both are comfortable for me. I don`t think you will have problems even on longer rides. Just give it a try.

Yes, it is very sad about Burry. I also liked him a lot. Seems to be he was very friendly, earthed guy, open-minded... lets see if Christoph Sauser takes part in Cape Epic this year or if he skips.

I did a calculation of possible stem lengths depending on bar back sweep. The specialized flat bar has 8 ° back sweep. By choosing a mcfk carbon bar which is only sold with 6 ° back sweep you gain 1 cm more horizontal length. That means while choosing an equal stem the difference in top tube length is only 1 cm between S and M just because of a differently shaped flat bar. So i do not need a very long stem. I will try 90 mm and maybe i change to 100 but not more. With more than 100 mm i would get a similar top tube length as with an M frame and that i don`t want to achieve.

Also i did some calculations regarding the seatpost length. With my given inseam and necessary length of saddle top to center of BB a 350 mm post CAN fit depending on minimum insertion. I will buy the post also from mcfk. And there i can specify exactly all necessary values like minimum insertion and maximum insertion. Just to be safe i will order maybe 370 mm but 350 mm should be enough.

I had 3 problems with an M frame:
- it was a bit too long with a 90 mm stem and with choosing a lighter bar from mcfk it would get even longer because of the lower back sweep. Here i probably could change to a shorter stem...i am not sure.
- the main thing is the standover height. When coming off the saddle and standing over the top tube (as you have to do sometimes during riding) my inseam seems to be very low and only a few mm more than the standover height. So if the ground is not perfectly flat i will crush my balls and that is not healthy whether for me or the frame. Coming off the saddle i nearly sit on the top tube. That is the main thing why i chose the S frame.
Riding a 26er the top tube was about 5 cm lower - here there was no problem at all.
- too less pressure on the front wheel. It felt like i was riding a chopper. I had no problems with steep climbs but it simply did not feel right and the S frame has 1 cm horter headtube and 1 cm less suspension. So the bar gets around 2 cm lower.

#38 ·
Some suggestions for dropping more weight:
1. Cannondale Hollowgram SISL 170 mm - about 170 grams lighter than your XTR
2. S-Works Renegade or Ground Control 29x2.1 instead of Schwalbe - I've had good results with the S-Works GC
3. Consider a Rigid Fork? Niner or Race Face

The above alone will drop about 3 lbs, should be around 16, almost at UCI level on a ROAD BIKE - Crazy! have fun.

#41 ·
Personally, I see nothing wrong with some Hollowgrams on a Specialized. It's tantamount to paying homage to the company that developed BB30, by sticking their cranks on a another's frame that is using a cheaper to manufacture, watered down version of it...PF30. Question is, will the spindle length be long enough?

Depending on where he rides, a rigid fork might be just the ticket. Hey, I ride my cyclocross bike at Wissahickon. Very rocky. Different stokes for different strokes...

#40 ·
If he wants to upgrade the crankset it makes sense to buy s-works carbon cranks. Besides this he can shed weight by
- changing FD from XTR to XX
- changing cassette from XT to XTR
- changing cranks to s-works (also the bearings would get lighter - in my opinion using a 24mm spindle crank in such a bike which is originally made for BB30 cranks is wasting stiffness and weight!)
- changing seatpost collar to carbon (Carbon-Ti, MCFK...)
- changing cable housings to FASI
- changing grips to foam
- changing stem to syntace
- changing expander from Spesh to Extralite
- changing headset top cap to Tune or Carbon-Ti

But i think he is aware of all these points and just doesn`t want to spend so much money. And that`s fine. It is a very nice bike.

#45 ·
sister's Fate expert!!!

The bike was in the lbs, my sister tried the bike and she really loved it!!
the comp model have some x7 components and was too heavy for her.. she is 5' maybe and 46kg she is really short but is strong in the bike. The owner of the LBS give us a great price now the shop is her new sponsor!! The s-works is too expensive so we pull the trigger with the expert.

Have all x0 components with a sram carbon cranks the x0 brakes feels really good the standard weight was 22.22lb and here is the progress of the weight reduction

22.22lb (10080kg) all stock (with inner tubes and a her crank bros. pedals)
22.09lb tubeless
21.93lb 600mm AL cheap handlebar (we will install a fsa carbon bar)
21.86lb changed the brake rotor to an ashima 140mm
21.69lb (9.840kg) carbon skewers

Isn't a great progress but is simple things that u don't spend a lot of money, I have to buy a new seatpost and the carbon handlebar, she can't use thin saddles so the 330 grams saddle have to stay

Attachments

#46 ·
XTR cassette problem

New mod to the standard bike!!! Few weeks ago in climbs the bike started to make a weir sound when was in the 26 ring and the 36 cassette cog position!! like something is breaking so I took off the xtr cassette and installed my new XX cassette in the Crest wheel and now is perfect the bike is lighter and no sounds now!! I will start a thread about this issue with the xtr cassette I think that the rivets loosened!! so this started that horrible sound!!

actual weight of the bike with the stan's Crest wheelset is 20.08lb :)

Attachments

#49 ·
Hi All,
I'm new here and I just ordered s-works frame.
It will be my first Specialized.
I have a question to you, experienced s-works builder :)
I ordered frame kit and now I completing other parts.
What size of wheel hubs should I order to use them with s-works frame?
Is it 15mm / 100mm on the front?
Is it 10mm / 135mm on the rear?
I will be thankful for any information.
I will post pictures when frame will arrive.

Regards
Bartek

#58 ·
Same like me. My frameset together with Roval SL and S-Works Carbon cranks is lying at my LBS already until i will pick it up after my business trip. I also bought a white frame, size S. Then we will be able to have a competition for the lightest one ;) Please post weight and pics as soon as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.