Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My 2013 15.5 S-WORKS stumpjumper HT building thread

53K views 120 replies 21 participants last post by  phlegm 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!!! finally I have the frameset!!:D is a 2013 stumpjumper s-works ht 29er 15.5"
I bought it in my LBS. I had so many 26 bikes before.. first time in a 29er!!
I want a light bike, the lightest bike I had Was a fuji 22lb 10oz now I hope this bike weights 20lb
Here are some pics!! and the official weight of the frame :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Frame small 15.5": 1120gr (no bb, no headset, just the seatpost clamp)
Brain fork carbon: 1470gr
stan's Ztr race gold wheelset: 1350 (pair) (620 front...730 rear)

I have a problem with the seatpost and please guys u have to help me with this I bought a TUNE SCHWARZES STUCK CARBON 27.2 seatpost (120gr) from a bike shop in germany but I bought it too long a 400mm seatpost with a maximun insertion depth of 170mm is the wrong size for me!!! I need a 350mm so the 400mm tune seatpost have to go I will post it in ebay if any one is interested please let me know!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok I bought two wheelsets the ztr race gold for racing and a ZTR crest wheelset for riding and training, so there is the pic of the race gold wheelset weight!!!

I will build the bike with a xtr groupset... Yeah I will post more pics of the build and a list with complete weights soon!!!
some pics!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
@erichwic I only can stick it 170mm. I took measures from my other bikes and the clamp will be at 170mm too!! so it will be at the limit with no option tho introduce it more. This is just an idea of the final height of the seatpost, if I need to stick it more the seatpost will broke because over the 170mm is not reinforced.

#11 · (Edited)
Hi andresco, finally your thread started. Congrats to this beauty.

About the post - i am from germany. Where did you buy it? Many stores here are very kind and maybe they still take it back? Did you insert it - are there insertion marks at the surface? When did you buy it? I will order a 350mm too, so i do not need it. But a tune seatpost should be easily sold on eBay for a good price as they are more rare in the US than in germany for example.

Have fun building the bike. If you are not extremly interested in a carbon post you can use the shown KCNC Ti Pro Lite. As 27.2x350 it should be around 130 g for only a little money compared to a tune post. To have it really light you must choose MCFK, AX Lightness or Schmolke. All are around 100-110 g.

By the way - your wheelset is 100 g ligher than mine - i have a SL29 on order, already lying at my LBS.

How tall are you? Which inseam? Which final weight is your goal?

Edit: MORE PICS!!!! ;)

#15 ·
Hi andresco, finally your thread started. Congrats to this beauty.

About the post - i am from germany. Where did you buy it? Many stores here are very kind and maybe they still take it back? Did you insert it - are there insertion marks at the surface? When did you buy it? I will order a 350mm too, so i do not need it. But a tune seatpost should be easily sold on eBay for a good price as they are more rare in the US than in germany for example.

Have fun building the bike. If you are not extremly interested in a carbon post you can use the shown KCNC Ti Pro Lite. As 27.2x350 it should be around 130 g for only a little money compared to a tune post. To have it really light you must choose MCFK, AX Lightness or Schmolke. All are around 100-110 g.

By the way - your wheelset is 100 g ligher than mine - i have a SL29 on order, already lying at my LBS.

How tall are you? Which inseam? Which final weight is your goal?

Edit: MORE PICS!!!! ;)
I bought the seatpost in WF bikes parts is in Denkendorf!! And my seatpost is in ebay right now!!

I ordered a 350 from r2bike ....I love a carbon seatpost so the choose will be Tune
I do not like the kcnc is an S-Works bro and I do not trust in the cradle of the ti pro, in case I want to install a carbon railed saddle... ;) AX lightness and Schmolke are too expensive.. and I really like the clamp system of the Tune, the cradle have more contact surface than the lightness so the saddle won't slip!! and it looks very strong the weight limit is 100kg and I weight 60kg it will never break!!!

My goal is 19lb with pedals I will post all the parts with weights!!
I bought a 29 ztr Crest wheelset too..... the gold wheelset are only for racing!!!

#12 ·
@andresco: would you please measure the height of the upper part of the seat tube where the clamp is mounted? There is a smaller part at the top which is a little wider than the tube itself. I need this height to order a perfectly fitting custom carbon seatpost clamp! THX.

#18 ·
got my 15.5" carbon expert HT to 20.2 pounds with a pretty avg build. probably get it down to 19 with XTR rear shifter and brakes (140mm rear rotor), XT cassette, MRP 1.x chainguide, Racing Ralphs

FORKRockShox Sid 29 Brainalloy tapered crown/steerer 80mm
HEADSET1-1/8 and 1-1/2" threadless, Campy style upper with 1-1/2" lower, cartridge bearings
STEM Specialized XC 6-degree rise 75mm
HANDLEBARS Specialized S-Works carbon 680mm
GRIPS ESI Chunky
FRONT BRAKE Magura MT6, Storm SL rotor 160mm
REAR BRAKE Magura MT6, Storm SL rotor 160mm
FRONT DERAILLEUR SRAM X7 (set up as chain guide)
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano XTR Shadow Plus, 10-speed, SGS long cage
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano SLX 10-speed, trigger, rear only
CASSETTE SRAM PG-1050, 10-speed, 11-36
CHAIN KMC X10
CRANKSET S-Works carbon 175mm
CHAINRING Renthal S4 120 38t
BOTTOM BRACKET FSA
PEDALS Crank Bros Eggbeater 3
WHEELSET Roval Control SL 29, tubeless
FRONT TIRE S-Works Fast Trak 2.0
REAR TIRE Specialized Fast Trak Control 2.0
SADDLE Selle Italia SLR
SEATPOST Thomson Elite 350mm
SEAT BINDER Specialized 7050 hard anodized alloy, 32.6mm, single bolt

Attachments

#26 ·
Ok guys I've been working and waiting for all the parts but is not complete yet so I can't wait any more so I bought some things in the LBS to build it quickly and enjoy the bike the weekend... I will post how is looking the bike right now and some weights!!! here is a pic and is ready to go to the shop to install the BB etc.

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
The Weight

The bike is ready!!!this is the component list in the "Training mode"
weight with training setup: (pictures setup see pics)

20lbs 6 oz
9.240 kg
20.37 lbs

Training mode components:

FRAME S-WORKS stumpjumper ht 29 15.5" 2013 (1120g)
FORK Rock Shox Sid 29 Brain Carbon crown/steerer tapered 80mm (1470g (weight with uncut steerer))
HEADSET 1-1/8 and 1-1/2" threadless, Campy style FSA with carbón upper cap.
STEM Ritchey C260 WCS 6-degree rise 70mm (93g)
HANDLEBARS Specialized S-Works carbon cut to 640mm (150g)
GRIPS ESI Racers Edge

FRONT BRAKE XTR trail m980 with formula rotor 160mm (85g)
REAR BRAKE XTR trail m980 with Ashima airotor 140mm (63g)
FRONT DERAILLEUR XTR m980 34.9 clamp
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano XTR Shadow Plus, 10-speed, SGS long cage
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano XTR 10-speed and 2 speed
CASSETTE XTR 10-speed, 11-36 (274g)
CHAIN XT 10 speed
CRANKSET XTR m980 double chainring 26/38 170mm (653g)
BOTTOM BRACKET ROTOR PF30 reducer for 24mm spindle cranksets (137g)

PEDALS XTR race m980 (304g)
WHEELSET STAN'S ZTR CREST 29. (1580g)
FRONT TIRE S-Works Fast Trak 2.0 (530g)
REAR TIRE S-Works Renegade 1.95 (490g)

SADDLE Phenom expert ti rails 130mm (234g)
SEATPOST S-works carbon 350mm
SEAT BINDER Specialized 7050 hard anodized alloy, 32.6mm, single bolt
SKEWERS Stan's carbon.. came with the race gold wheelset
HEADSET TOP CAP Specialized wheel type cap and ti bolt

For the racing style I will change some parts:
RACING MODE SETUP:

WHEELSET: Stan's ZTR RACE GOLD (1350g)
FRONT TIRE: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.10 (500g)
REAR TIRE: S-WORKS renegade 29x1.95 (490)
FRONT ROTOR: Ashima ai2 160mm (67g)
REAR ROTOR: Ashima airotor 140mm (63g)
SKEWERS: carbon-ti replica ti made (37g pair)

PEDALS: Eggbeaters 11 (182g)
CASSETTE: SRAM XX 11-36 (213g)
SEATPOST: TUNE Schwarzes Stuck carbon 27.2x350mm (115) this will be in both modes
SADDLE: Specialized Phenom TEAM carbon rails (180g) this will be in both modes
or can be a TUNE MARATHON carbon saddle (105g) not sure yet!!

I weighed all the parts in my cheap but precise scale
really happy with the bike, I think the bike will weight 19 pounds in the race mode

Hope u like it ready for ur questions!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

#29 ·
5ft 4.5in
163cm

The seatpost is inserted 100mm
If I measure from the BB center to the saddle rails is 630mm

I think I will be more confortable with a 60mm stem but is ok right now and Im looking for a light stem in 60mm the ritchey c260 is really light!!! 93g

#30 ·
Thanks for all your pics and infos. Nice bike, even in trainings setup. The only point i want to cpmplain about is the crankset - s-works bike without s-works cranks is a NoGo in my opinion. Of course, technically the xtr is 100% fine but, its only a matter of feeling or taste.

Regarding the body height - i am 10 cm taller, 173 cm, and will also ride a S frame. Here i have the opportunity to adjust my position by selecting the right parts as i like. When riding a M frame i do not have an equal number of "degrees of freedom". Also Burry Stander, he has the same body height and inseam as me (173 and 80 cm!), changed from M to S because of this. By the way - at the moment it looks like my business trip will last until end of april. So i will built my bike from april 22nd on and post it here.

#31 ·
Thanks for all your pics and infos. Nice bike, even in trainings setup. The only point i want to cpmplain about is the crankset - s-works bike without s-works cranks is a NoGo in my opinion. Of course, technically the xtr is 100% fine but, its only a matter of feeling or taste.

Regarding the body height - i am 10 cm taller, 173 cm, and will also ride a S frame. Here i have the opportunity to adjust my position by selecting the right parts as i like. When riding a M frame i do not have an equal number of "degrees of freedom". Also Burry Stander, he has the same body height and inseam as me (173 and 80 cm!), changed from M to S because of this. By the way - at the moment it looks like my business trip will last until end of april. So i will built my bike from april 22nd on and post it here.
So sad about it RIP Burry Stander a real mtb rider...

Merckx, Hinault, Burry and Christoph Sauser are inspiration for me!!!

Yes some people prefer the s-works crankset!! I had this groupset mounted in my bulls 26er maybe 3 months it have 210miles

I really like Shimano xtr is not tooo light as xx or xx1 but is precise and is really tough, so sad right now I can't find the 24 tooth ring.. really hard in real long uphills

Yes Burry swap from M to S the hubs are closer together and have more control u will need a 400mm seatpost and a 110stem maybe!!!

I will try the xx1 someday

I will post the Race mode component list some day and the weights too... I can not decide yet if I want the tune marathon saddle is so light but some doubts about comfort and durability in epic rides when u have to carry on a fully loaded camelbak......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.