SALLGUD

My '10 Epic Comp 29

Sweet! Picked it up yesterday. Swapped a few parts out. The XL is weighing in at 28 lbs.

Dealing with rain, sleet and ice pellets. Haven't ridden it yet. Looking forward to the miles.

MD

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Was the 28 lbs before or after the parts swap? thanks DB

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    B
    E
    A
    utiful

SALLGUD
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    Was the 28 lbs before or after the parts swap? thanks DB
    It was 28.31 stock, with no pedals. I swapped to XTR shifters and derailleurs, cf handlebars, XT cranks, XT/Flow wheels, then added a water bottle cage, computer, and XTR pedals. Most of the parts I put on are personal preference stuff, not weight weenie items.

The only other thing left is a Thomson seatpost. Should be here next week.

MD

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice! After seeing so many pictures of the marathon it's great to see a comp, Planning on getting one myself so keep the pictures comingl

The Other Dude
    Very Nice!! Congrats on being one of the first to get one!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Great looking ride. Looking at a similar build if mine will ever show up - mostly XT for me, Arch wheelset, and a riser for comfort for the long haul.

Look forward to hearing your ride impressions!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM NICE!!

mtbr member
    That's a beautiful looking bike. The ride reports on the '10 29er Epic have me contemplating (much to my wife's dismay) swapping my 08 26er SJ Expert for one! For my style of riding, it sounds like it may really fit the bill as the ONE bike I need!

I still don't get the Comp at $2800 and the Marathon frame at $2800. Almost makes it a no brainer. Buy the Comp and upgrade as the parts wear out!

WNC Native
    Man it looks sweet in a real picture, this bike might just convince me to buy my first Specialized!

My LBS is trying to set up a demo for me as we speak!
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 12-14-2009 at 09:41 AM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichA
    Nice! After seeing so many pictures of the marathon it's great to see a comp, Planning on getting one myself so keep the pictures comingl
    As a weight to frame size comparison, I have a medium Comp 29 and it weighs in at 28.5 stock with Time ATAC pedals.

oh and just a fyi for those on the fence about buying one, my local Spec dealer has it selling for $2500 plus a $400 gift card good for anything else in the store. No I don't work for them and no I didn't get this crazy price when I pre-ordered mine. You can PM me for store name since I don't know if it's proper to post it here but the store (chain) is in California.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My '10 Epic Comp 29-epic_3.jpg  

Last edited by thatdrewguy; 12-14-2009 at 12:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    test rode one this weekend. nice. what does it weigh now? thinking of the same upgrades

SALLGUD
    This is not the first Speccy I have owned, but it is by far the nicest. There are a lot of nice details that I was not able to shoot. This bike is a far cry above my '06 Stumpy as far as build quality. I still have not ridden it, but we are forecast to have nothing but sunshine beginning Wednesday. Give the trails a day or two to dry out, and I plan on nailing some rocks and roots. A couple of stand-up climbs added in, and I will post my thoughts.

My LBS also went well below the msrp. Partly because I have been waiting patiently for a couple of months, and partly because they are a new Speccy dealer in the area and want some good PR.

I just want to ride the darn thing!

MD

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just bought a 26" Epic Comp in Houston for 2499.00. Sounds like you got a great deal. Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member

'10 Epic Comp

Gents - got tired of waiting for the marathon frame/fork and my LBS had the epic comp on the floor. i opted for picking up the comp (actually like the color scheme better than the marathon black/red) and essentially replaced everything sans the seat and grips. She's a beauty! Weighs in at (size L) just under 28 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My '10 Epic Comp 29-003.jpg  

My '10 Epic Comp 29-002.jpg  

My '10 Epic Comp 29-005.jpg  

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Looks great. I plan to do the same if my Comp will ever show up.

How about some ride impressions? Been able to spend any time on it? Curious to hear some reviews in comparison to your previous rides.

The Other Dude
    Very nice! I just built up a medium for my friends wife, she is coming off of a 26" epic, and is stoked to get on the big wheels. She just picked it up yesterday. The ground just froze here, and we got 2-3 fresh inches of snow on the ground, so for this time of year, its the perfect weather for the first ride. I didnt get hers on the scale.

If anyone wants to trade their tapered reba for a taper fox f29, let me know.
    Last edited by jut8; 12-19-2009 at 06:33 AM.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

SALLGUD
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat

How about some ride impressions? Been able to spend any time on it? Curious to hear some reviews in comparison to your previous rides.
    Has been raining constantly for the past week, but today looks nice: sunshine and mid 50s. Gonna hit some gravel roads and try to get the bike set up. Tomorrow I plan on riding some of our older more established trails that drain really well and don't hold moisture.

Will hopefully post some pics today and/or tomorrow, along with ride impressions.

MD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat

two rides thus far. one tame singletrack with some climbs and another (Salmon Falls in CA) fairly technical ride with a bit of everything. the bike handles amazingly and the specialized stable platform /brain shock is the real deal! i am coming off a 26er SC blur which had way too much bob for me. you do lose a bit of the 26in snappy-ness but more than make up for it (in my opinion) with the increased stability and self assurance that you can roll over obstacles that you're accustomed to going around. despite the increase in weight, it actually climbs very well once you get it going and descends with the momentum of a mack truck! The bike does give you the feeling that you are riding higher and an "on-top-of-the-bike" feel. at salmon falls i was able to clear the first technical climb for the first time (very steep and lots of rocks) and was able to clean the infamous mini-mouse technical single track downhill.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    cbarry - good to hear you think it rides well compared to the Blur. Also good to hear that you're climbing well on the bike after such a short time riding it. Sounds like a winner for an endurance rig.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    My comp is finally shipping!! Should be here on Thursday - think Santa will be bringing it on his sleigh!

Did the Comp come with the 34 or 36 tooth cassette?

mtbr member
    good queston....specialized has it spec'd with an 11/34 but it actually came with a (HEAVY) 14/36. i swapped it out with XT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    OK, here we go. Worked out a good trade-in with my LBS on my 08 Trance on an XL Epic Comp 29er. I'm 6'4", 220lbs and, after reading all the benefits of 29erdom I am really looking forward to riding her (Spec told the dealer Feb.). I have drunk the kool-aid, LOL!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarry
    good queston....specialized has it spec'd with an 11/34 but it actually came with a (HEAVY) 14/36. i swapped it out with XT.
    I just checked mine, it came with a 12/36 cassette.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarry
    two rides thus far. one tame singletrack with some climbs and another (Salmon Falls in CA) fairly technical ride with a bit of everything. the bike handles amazingly and the specialized stable platform /brain shock is the real deal! i am coming off a 26er SC blur which had way too much bob for me. you do lose a bit of the 26in snappy-ness but more than make up for it (in my opinion) with the increased stability and self assurance that you can roll over obstacles that you're accustomed to going around. despite the increase in weight, it actually climbs very well once you get it going and descends with the momentum of a mack truck! The bike does give you the feeling that you are riding higher and an "on-top-of-the-bike" feel. at salmon falls i was able to clear the first technical climb for the first time (very steep and lots of rocks) and was able to clean the infamous mini-mouse technical single track downhill.
    That's interesting. Most 29ers - my Felt HT included - are supposed to give you more of a down into the bike... down between the wheels feeling than the perched on top of a 26er.

I gotta get a leg over one of these things!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    That's interesting. Most 29ers - my Felt HT included - are supposed to give you more of a down into the bike... down between the wheels feeling than the perched on top of a 26er.

I gotta get a leg over one of these things!!
    Well, you can't avoid the fact that the wheels are just plain taller. Getting up onto my bike I sometimes feel like I need a step ladder! Sometimes riding I feel a bit like I'm perched up high too but most of the time it just disappears beneath me.

Nice bikes everyone! I really like the white and black color scheme of the Comp. Anyone want to trade frames for my Marathon?

If I didn't get such a great deal and had more motivation to do a swap and sell on the parts I probably would have gone with a Comp.

Enjoy the riding, it's really a sweet bike!

I need to ask my shop about that nice full wrap plastic chain stay protector. I didn't get one.

Cheers!

SALLGUD
    Have finally gotten several rides in, and had the opportunity to test various settings on the Brain.

First off, this Brain works. It works very well, and changing settings by two or three clicks makes very obvious differences. It took me two rides to get my initial shock psi settings right. I am 6'4" and 225, and putting the shock psi settings anywhere near the recommended settings resulted in blowing through all available travel almost before I even left the parking lot. I am now running 255psi and that allowed me to enjoy the last couple of rides w/o bottoming out.

This shock is not seamless as my Yeti 575, Yeti AS-R sl or '06 Stumpjumper was. You can feel the Brain working. I absolutely like the feeling of it doing its job. It is almost a mechanical, on-off feeling. I cannot hear it as I have read from others, but there is no doubt that if you dial in the Brain, you can feel the operation. Awesome.

The steering is spot-on. Very intuitive. You don't think about it, you just use a but of body english and it turns. The '09 29er Stumpjumper I test-rode was a dump truck compared to this bike.

The Reba front fork is fine. I have nothing negative to say about it, and it seems very well matched to the rear.

Mine weighs a hair over 28 pounds with computer, pedals, etc. I could indeed feel the difference between it and my 25 pound C-Dale Caffeine 29er over the same courses, but I was nailing corners and rooty uphills with precision on the Comp, versus standing and trying to time the coming hits on the Caffeine.

I am happy. Very happy. It tracks like a BNSF locomotive. I look forward to 2010 on this bike. Specialized "done good".

MD

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    nice bike, if I only had that budget I would get one

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks AZDRAWDY for the in-depth review. Mine is due in Feb. and we're about the same size (I'm 6'4" 220) will keep your shock recommendations in mind. How is the head tube height? As I've gotten older, I now run my bars close to my seat height. I've got a 34" inseam, floor to crotch in riding shoes/shorts. Do you think that will be a problem? My giant has a 7.5" headtube! Enjoy your new ride, can't wait for mine!

mtbr member
    Wow! You've got some short legs there don't you BiknBob?

Of course we're all different but I'm 2 inches shorter and have a true inseam (floor to crotch in bare feet) that is 35.25".

I would guess with that inseam you shouldn't have any problems getting your bars up to your saddle height.

I agree that the brain works well and is quite adjustable. I haven't fiddled with it out on the trail but I did on the street outside my house and it was pretty amazing how you could go from soft, squishy, pedal bob ride to locked out just by turning that little blue dial. Very cool indeed.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Dang! Guess I was underestimating meself. I went and measured and I have about a 35 1/4 also. I feel better now...

nor
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Does anyone know if the Comp stock wheels are tubeless ready or do you need to use a Stans strip? What do the stock wheels weigh? Thanks
    ron-k.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nor
    Does anyone know if the Comp stock wheels are tubeless ready or do you need to use a Stans strip? What do the stock wheels weigh? Thanks
    Wheels come with blue tape installed and there is a set of tubeless valve stems in the box. Not sure of the weight tho... I will say the rear wheel is much much heaver then my Arch, DT 240, and XT 11-34 rear setup. But that could be due to the wheel shipping with a Shimano M525 hub and the 12-36 HG 61 cassette. I going to eBay the stock wheels ASAP in favor of something race worthy.

Oh, I will also add the spokes seem soft... the reason I say that is rather the using a screw driver to remove the reflectors I usually just twist them and break the tabs off. But on this wheel-set I managed to put a nice S curve in the spoke and still didn't twist the reflector off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    They are supposede to come with tubeless rim strips installed and come with tubeless valve stems. I've seen a weight of 1950g quoted for the wheelset. Mine is supposed to be here in Feb. so I'm going on what I've seen posted elsewhere from people who've already gotten their bikes.

nor
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    Wheels come with blue tape installed and there is a set of tubeless valve stems in the box. Not sure of the weight tho... I will say the rear wheel is much much heaver then my Arch, DT 240, and XT 11-34 rear setup. But that could be due to the wheel shipping with a Shimano M525 hub and the 12-36 HG 61 cassette. I going to eBay the stock wheels ASAP in favor of something race worthy.

Oh, I will also add the spokes seem soft... the reason I say that is rather the using a screw driver to remove the reflectors I usually just twist them and break the tabs off. But on this wheel-set I managed to put a nice S curve in the spoke and still didn't twist the reflector off.
    Guess I will look into something a little lighter and sturdier. Thanks for the info.
    ron-k.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Strange about the spokes. According to the Spec catalog they are DT Swiss 1.8mm stainless steel. I'm assuming from that they are straight gauge, which should be stiff. Maybe they weren't tensioned correctly? Definitely something to watch for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BiknBob
    Strange about the spokes. According to the Spec catalog they are DT Swiss 1.8mm stainless steel. I'm assuming from that they are straight gauge, which should be stiff. Maybe they weren't tensioned correctly? Definitely something to watch for.
    Yes Bob, it does say they are DT but I think they forgot to heat treat these... Ha,ha

Very poor wheel build to tell the truth: almost a 1/4 out of true and not dished to center. But I didn't expect much anyway. Hence, it's a Comp.... I've given some thought to keeping the rims and the front hub. Maybe just pitch the rear hub and spokes and replace with real DT revolution and 240. That is if they really do weight 450g. As per DT website all the 450 series rims are listed at 450g...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sounds like a plan. I've got an extra 26" rear with a 340 hub. I was going to wait until the Shimano failed but might just get them rebuilt off the bat.
    Have you been able to ride it much?

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    So... a tad off topic, but how do you the medium would work out for 5'9.5" woman?

I realized the ridiculous of cyber-fitting advice, but I'm curious. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Assuming you've got a bike already, you should be able to find the measurements for your frame online and compare them to the Epic. Should give you some idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    That's interesting. Most 29ers - my Felt HT included - are supposed to give you more of a down into the bike... down between the wheels feeling than the perched on top of a 26er.!
    Agree. Most 29ers I demo give the "within the bike" feel and when I get back on my 26 I feel more "on top of" the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Also, as far as a 5'9.5" woman on a 29er, check out Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski and Heather Irmiger who are now US National Cross-Country Champs. Willow Koerber is also on the Fisher squad and they all ride 29ers.

Story at:
    http://fisherbikes.com/news/article/...s-us-nationals

mtbr member
    Is anybody has the weight of the stock wheel set?
    I couldn't find this info nowhere...
    I'm 90% sure the Epic Comp 29er will be my next bike and I'd like to lighten up the bike from the get go...
    I'm less than 160 pounds so I think I can put together a significantly lighter set.
    To know the exact weight of the stock wheels would be a nice starting point.
    Thanks.

mtbr member

comp with brake noise

Anyone else with a comp experiencing brake noise and uneven brake feel? I thought maybe it needed some riding/braking miles to bed in the pads and disc but i'm still getting noise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy
    Anyone else with a comp experiencing brake noise and uneven brake feel? I thought maybe it needed some riding/braking miles to bed in the pads and disc but i'm still getting noise.
    Yes, Avid brakes sux... what more can I say.

Edited on 1-18-10 Added my thoughts below:

In the past 4 yrs I owned two sets of Juicy 7’s, two sets of 5’s, and now a set of Elixirs. All perform basically the same: they all needed constant adjustment… they vibrate, gobble, wobble, and squeal… I’ve tried different pads, rotors, mounts, etc… But the only thing that has worked for me is to change to Shimano brakes. I’ve 1 set of XTR and several sets of XT’s that have requires a lot of time to setup but I’ve not touched them since. Great modulation and low low maintenance. Another plus is they run mineral oil… which is not corrosive like the DOT fluid in Avids.

You will find 218 post on the subject here: My new Elixir Rs or How to stop the dam howling
    but you will not find a simple answer as to why Avids… vibrate, gobble, wobble, & squeal…

I may have 300 miles on my Comp and would really like to do away with the Elixirs... but first I need to sell some of those Avid takeoffs in my garage. Look out eBay here I come
    Last edited by flyag1; 01-18-2010 at 10:00 AM.

SALLGUD
    I was on the bike Saturday and made the comment to my riding partner that I would rather have my old Ultimates than these Elixirs. I am not experiencing any noise, and they do indeed stop the bike, but they really feel "dead".

Still loving that Brain tho!

MD

mtbr member
    Any chance you could post or PM me just how good of a deal you got on the price, azdrawdy? I'm not going to be anywhere near the same shop or anything, but curious as this bike is on my list of maybes for a FSR 29r. Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 1