Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SALLGUD

My '10 Epic Comp 29

Sweet! Picked it up yesterday. Swapped a few parts out. The XL is weighing in at 28 lbs.

Dealing with rain, sleet and ice pellets. Haven't ridden it yet. Looking forward to the miles.

MD

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Was the 28 lbs before or after the parts swap? thanks DB

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    B
    E
    A
    utiful

SALLGUD
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    Was the 28 lbs before or after the parts swap? thanks DB
    It was 28.31 stock, with no pedals. I swapped to XTR shifters and derailleurs, cf handlebars, XT cranks, XT/Flow wheels, then added a water bottle cage, computer, and XTR pedals. Most of the parts I put on are personal preference stuff, not weight weenie items.

The only other thing left is a Thomson seatpost. Should be here next week.

MD

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice! After seeing so many pictures of the marathon it's great to see a comp, Planning on getting one myself so keep the pictures comingl

The Other Dude
    Very Nice!! Congrats on being one of the first to get one!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Great looking ride. Looking at a similar build if mine will ever show up - mostly XT for me, Arch wheelset, and a riser for comfort for the long haul.

Look forward to hearing your ride impressions!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM NICE!!

mtbr member
    That's a beautiful looking bike. The ride reports on the '10 29er Epic have me contemplating (much to my wife's dismay) swapping my 08 26er SJ Expert for one! For my style of riding, it sounds like it may really fit the bill as the ONE bike I need!

I still don't get the Comp at $2800 and the Marathon frame at $2800. Almost makes it a no brainer. Buy the Comp and upgrade as the parts wear out!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

WNC Native
    Man it looks sweet in a real picture, this bike might just convince me to buy my first Specialized!

My LBS is trying to set up a demo for me as we speak!
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 12-14-2009 at 08:41 AM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichA
    Nice! After seeing so many pictures of the marathon it's great to see a comp, Planning on getting one myself so keep the pictures comingl
    As a weight to frame size comparison, I have a medium Comp 29 and it weighs in at 28.5 stock with Time ATAC pedals.

oh and just a fyi for those on the fence about buying one, my local Spec dealer has it selling for $2500 plus a $400 gift card good for anything else in the store. No I don't work for them and no I didn't get this crazy price when I pre-ordered mine. You can PM me for store name since I don't know if it's proper to post it here but the store (chain) is in California.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My '10 Epic Comp 29-epic_3.jpg  

Last edited by thatdrewguy; 12-14-2009 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    test rode one this weekend. nice. what does it weigh now? thinking of the same upgrades

SALLGUD
    This is not the first Speccy I have owned, but it is by far the nicest. There are a lot of nice details that I was not able to shoot. This bike is a far cry above my '06 Stumpy as far as build quality. I still have not ridden it, but we are forecast to have nothing but sunshine beginning Wednesday. Give the trails a day or two to dry out, and I plan on nailing some rocks and roots. A couple of stand-up climbs added in, and I will post my thoughts.

My LBS also went well below the msrp. Partly because I have been waiting patiently for a couple of months, and partly because they are a new Speccy dealer in the area and want some good PR.

I just want to ride the darn thing!

MD

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just bought a 26" Epic Comp in Houston for 2499.00. Sounds like you got a great deal. Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member

'10 Epic Comp

Gents - got tired of waiting for the marathon frame/fork and my LBS had the epic comp on the floor. i opted for picking up the comp (actually like the color scheme better than the marathon black/red) and essentially replaced everything sans the seat and grips. She's a beauty! Weighs in at (size L) just under 28 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My '10 Epic Comp 29-003.jpg  

My '10 Epic Comp 29-002.jpg  

My '10 Epic Comp 29-005.jpg  

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Looks great. I plan to do the same if my Comp will ever show up.

How about some ride impressions? Been able to spend any time on it? Curious to hear some reviews in comparison to your previous rides.

The Other Dude
    Very nice! I just built up a medium for my friends wife, she is coming off of a 26" epic, and is stoked to get on the big wheels. She just picked it up yesterday. The ground just froze here, and we got 2-3 fresh inches of snow on the ground, so for this time of year, its the perfect weather for the first ride. I didnt get hers on the scale.

If anyone wants to trade their tapered reba for a taper fox f29, let me know.
    Last edited by jut8; 12-19-2009 at 05:33 AM.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

SALLGUD
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat

How about some ride impressions? Been able to spend any time on it? Curious to hear some reviews in comparison to your previous rides.
    Has been raining constantly for the past week, but today looks nice: sunshine and mid 50s. Gonna hit some gravel roads and try to get the bike set up. Tomorrow I plan on riding some of our older more established trails that drain really well and don't hold moisture.

Will hopefully post some pics today and/or tomorrow, along with ride impressions.

MD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat

two rides thus far. one tame singletrack with some climbs and another (Salmon Falls in CA) fairly technical ride with a bit of everything. the bike handles amazingly and the specialized stable platform /brain shock is the real deal! i am coming off a 26er SC blur which had way too much bob for me. you do lose a bit of the 26in snappy-ness but more than make up for it (in my opinion) with the increased stability and self assurance that you can roll over obstacles that you're accustomed to going around. despite the increase in weight, it actually climbs very well once you get it going and descends with the momentum of a mack truck! The bike does give you the feeling that you are riding higher and an "on-top-of-the-bike" feel. at salmon falls i was able to clear the first technical climb for the first time (very steep and lots of rocks) and was able to clean the infamous mini-mouse technical single track downhill.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    cbarry - good to hear you think it rides well compared to the Blur. Also good to hear that you're climbing well on the bike after such a short time riding it. Sounds like a winner for an endurance rig.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    My comp is finally shipping!! Should be here on Thursday - think Santa will be bringing it on his sleigh!

Did the Comp come with the 34 or 36 tooth cassette?

mtbr member
    good queston....specialized has it spec'd with an 11/34 but it actually came with a (HEAVY) 14/36. i swapped it out with XT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    OK, here we go. Worked out a good trade-in with my LBS on my 08 Trance on an XL Epic Comp 29er. I'm 6'4", 220lbs and, after reading all the benefits of 29erdom I am really looking forward to riding her (Spec told the dealer Feb.). I have drunk the kool-aid, LOL!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarry
    good queston....specialized has it spec'd with an 11/34 but it actually came with a (HEAVY) 14/36. i swapped it out with XT.
    I just checked mine, it came with a 12/36 cassette.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarry
    two rides thus far. one tame singletrack with some climbs and another (Salmon Falls in CA) fairly technical ride with a bit of everything. the bike handles amazingly and the specialized stable platform /brain shock is the real deal! i am coming off a 26er SC blur which had way too much bob for me. you do lose a bit of the 26in snappy-ness but more than make up for it (in my opinion) with the increased stability and self assurance that you can roll over obstacles that you're accustomed to going around. despite the increase in weight, it actually climbs very well once you get it going and descends with the momentum of a mack truck! The bike does give you the feeling that you are riding higher and an "on-top-of-the-bike" feel. at salmon falls i was able to clear the first technical climb for the first time (very steep and lots of rocks) and was able to clean the infamous mini-mouse technical single track downhill.
    That's interesting. Most 29ers - my Felt HT included - are supposed to give you more of a down into the bike... down between the wheels feeling than the perched on top of a 26er.

I gotta get a leg over one of these things!!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast