mtbr member
    Apr 2012

My 03's - Answer Manitou Axel Super Front shock is jacked up - worth fixing?

I have a 2003 Rockhopper FSR Comp that I just picked up, and sent it off to my LBS for an overhaul.

I got a call today and they told me they can't get the front shock to adjust correctly, it "pops" when they try to turn the adjustor knob to set preload. It also looks like the lockout damper isn't working properly, either.

So, it looks like I'm in need of a rebuild kit. The only documentation I can find is from the 2004 series: http://www.spoke-n-word-cycles.com/T...e%20Manual.pdf

Is this even worth trying to rebuild, or should I just get something else? My budget is going to be locked to under $150, with less being better, and I'm open to buying something used, in that price range.
    Last edited by chosos; 05-03-2012 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Bummer to hear the fork on your new purchase is messed up. I'm not familiar with that particular model. What are they charging for a rebuild? At least with a rebuild you'll know the fork is good to go. If you buy something used, you may end up needing to spend money on it too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think I figured out what's going on with it - well as to why it feels spongy, not why it isnt adjusting correctly... I also dug up the correct service manual.

http://www.manitoumtb.com/assets/Own...s%20Manual.pdf

The suspension is currently working, but it feels spongy and the damper isnt working correctly. The preload is off, but I'm guessing that because this is a coil sprung fork, I need a stiffer coil.

The popping they were hearing is the Preload adjuster being screwed all the way in and then popping back out - so in essence, you could screw this in forever, as it keeps popping back out on the final turn. Is this normal? Or should this only turn so far and then STOP turning?
    Last edited by chosos; 05-03-2012 at 09:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Another couple of Q's:

This fork has Micro Lube Ports.

1st: Is Manitou micro lube just a grease or is it a fluid? I'm asking because I'd rather no waste $50 trying to buy an obsolete grease gun and some grease, if I can get by with mobil1 red synthetic grease applied directly to the internals when I have it ripped apart,

2nd: The damper fluid... top right cap comes off and the fluid just pours out? no tricks or anything to replace it? since my damper isnt working, im wondering if its just low on fluid or (gasp) dried out.

Oh, and as promised, here's a pic.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Rockhopper Comp 2003 broken fork?

I have the same fork on a 2003 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, it was working fine, then last week I hit a massive pothole and almost went over the handlbars. Since then the shocks are extrodinarily weak, I can't even jump off a curbside without them making a loud metal banging sound, when I stand the fork goes down at least an inch making the handlebars too low.

Is there anyway that I can fix them, I don't know anything about forks or their maintinance and currently live in Tanzania where there are no repair shops. Is it safe to continue using the bike with the fork acting so soft?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Josh

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    The fork is 10 years old, probably time for a new one anyway.

You can get the Rockshox XC28s for cheap. Not much more gets you a Recon Silver though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That fork wasn't worth $100 10 years ago, keep an eye open for a used, air sprung fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons View Post
    That fork wasn't worth $100 10 years ago, keep an eye open for a used, air sprung fork.
    i tore mine apart and found out the o ring in the damper wasnt seated properly. i fixed it and the forks work great now. i dont have an only set to compare it to, but i'm a happy camper.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i tore mine apart and found out the o ring in the damper wasnt seated properly. i fixed it and the forks work great now. i dont have an only set to compare it to, but i'm a happy camper.

This sounds useful, however the first two respondents obviously did not read my post. I live in East Africa and can't access a bicycle repair shop for anything more than a flat tyre. Can I use an allan key to open up the shocks and put it back together properly or is this too difficult? I can't buy a different fork either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by joshpalfreman View Post

This sounds useful, however the first two respondents obviously did not read my post. I live in East Africa and can't access a bicycle repair shop for anything more than a flat tyre. Can I use an allan key to open up the shocks and put it back together properly or is this too difficult? I can't buy a different fork either.
    Sorry, I was giving more of a general update about my problem since this was originally my thread and you decided to hijack it.

As for your fork - rip it apart. Its not terribly difficult, and you really have NO other choice, if you can't ship it, or get it repair locally. Plus, you won't even know what is going on until you do pull it apart.

They are spring shocks with a fluid damper, so you might have broken the spring, sheered off something the spring presses against, etc. The fork is easy to break down. You will need to refill the damper side with oil, and I've heard it doesn't have to be bike specific oil - so i'd just use something of similar viscosity that won't eat up the metals.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    There's no mail in East Africa but there's internet?

Sure you can buy a different fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    There's no mail in East Africa but there's internet?

Sure you can buy a different fork.
    he can also repair the stock fork. Mine works perfectly fine. Sure it might not be as great as a full air fork, but it gets the job done for me fairly well.