Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mudflap/Mudguard for 06 Sumpy FSR?

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Noah 
#1 ·
I just have my first real ride on my 06 Stumpy FSR and love it!! The only thing I noticed is the amount of dirt and stuff that acumulate around the bottom bracket, front derealiur and rear shock area. I fund a mudflap at Specialized.com but it only protects the shock and I want to protect all the area I mentioned. Thas anyone has what I'm looking for? What do you use and if you can post any pictures is better.
Thanks again. :cool:

#2 ·
Are you looking for...

Are you looking for a mud flap that protects your shock? Similar to the image below, (courtesy of Archangel and lite-bikes.) It works really well at keeping the mud off the shock itself. As far as keepin' it off the pivot points / bearings and f- derailleur I've seen some pics somewhere on MTBR that show some ingenious ideas of some guys jerry-riggin some plastic from milk jugs or rubber cut to fit / lay over those areas and tied on with zip ties. Good luck and here's mud in yer' eye! Spine Shank

Attachments

#4 ·
Here's one I made.

Constructed from 1.5mm neoprene rubber with velcro closures, its on an 05 Enduro, but I'm sure it could be adapted for a Stumpy.
I plan to extend it down the back of the black shock link to stop stuff splashing onto the underside of the shock and front derailleur.

#10 ·
Creative rigging fellas...

and a bit off topic, but I see spesh is back to the black shock link for 06...DAMN them! I just built up my 05 Sworks, and it has that 'getrofit' silver link...the one after the frame contact issue they simply ground down. Being that my bike is black, the new one would look nice. :)

Jw

#12 ·
question

I like the look of the mudflap but I was wondering if it would fit other bikes. I got a Hardrock comp I have been looking for a mudflap and I cant stand those big fat ones that attach to the seat post and I just dont like the look of them and I found this one and i like it and am hopeing that it might fit my bike. thanks for the help

#13 ·
riverrat said:
You may find, as I did, that the skinny zip ties break. The slots in the mudflaps accomodate wider zip ties, which work better. I'm running the 2 mudflap set-up and it works pretty well.
My problem is the side ziptie holes ripped away after a couple months, its too close to the edge or needs to be reinforced. So the middle one is the only only holding the thing on right now. I guess I'll try drilling a new hole further away from the edge. If that doesn't work, I'll probably just make my own like others.

Dave

#14 ·
Dave719 said:
My problem is the side ziptie holes ripped away after a couple months, its too close to the edge or needs to be reinforced. So the middle one is the only only holding the thing on right now. I guess I'll try drilling a new hole further away from the edge. If that doesn't work, I'll probably just make my own like others.Dave
That happened to me too, but only on one of the slots.

I heated up the tip of a small screwdriver with a lighter and melted a new hole, farther from the edge as you are thinking. Hasn't ripped through so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.