mtbr member
    Jan 2004

MRP X-Rated link?

I retired an 2000 FSR & I got a new 06 Stumpy Pro FSR. I noticed that have a brand new Mountain Speed(MRP) X-link for older FSR's just sitting around. Any one interested in improving & adding travel to their older FSR. It is a work of art...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    How's it going? Do you still have that link? I know you posted a long while ago, but it never hurts to ask.
    -Adam

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Stumpjumper fsr xc upgrade

Hi Adam

Just wondering if you are upgrading an stumpjumper 00 fsr or similiar frame? I just started upgrading parts on my 2000 stumpjumper fsr xc and considering the x-rated link or the BETD upgrade. Both are good, but BETD+bushing seems $100 more with delivery. My question is whether I can turn this bike into more a all mountain ride using the BETD and a 130mm fork like the recon 351 or revelation or similiar fox shox.

Just wondering if you are upgrading a similiar bike and want to share your experience and what you did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    xcpalmer, I replied to your PM, sorry for the delay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I used to run the BETD link back in the day. I mated it to a 5" Psylo and the bike rode really, really well. One of my favorite rides actually. The BETD link was adjustable to 3 travels, I think the MRP only 2, if any? I thought the BETD setup was pricey at the time, but the pieces were really nice quality, and I loved the improvement to the bike.

mtbr member

xcpalmer, All mountain???

Hey xcpalmer,
    I think for all mountain you might be best served by going with the betd link because it increases your travel and can be paired with a longer travel fork. The mrp link does not significantly increase travel but instead takes the wiggle out of your rear end and a longer travel fork would not balance the bike very well. Now, before you take my advice to heart, please understand that I have not yet upgraded my bike, therefore cannot speak from experience. Instead, I only offer the info that I have found from my searching.
    Take care.
    -Adam

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Adam

I just purchased the MRP x-rated link and the Rock Shox Recon Race 08 soloair front fork. I own a 2000 stumpjumper fsr xc, with the original tiny dog bone link, manitou sx 70mm fork, vanilla air rear shock.

I went with the MRP link after talking a mechanic from Great Adventure Outlet. He said the geometry would change too much on the bike with a front fork greater than 100mm. Although BETD allows multiple settings to make adjustments, most riders posted they keep the setting at the lower end (90 - 110). I definitely wanted the link upgrade along with the front fork, but I didn't want to kill the oriented design of the bike. I felt 90mm travel provided by the x-rated link ($209 w\shipping), 100mm Recon Race '08' ($366) was a great combination. I also put Kenda Nevegal 2.4 on the bike with savings from the MRP link. I want to upgrade the bike, but I donít want to over spend on the bike.

I want to start a new Post for owners of FSR 99-01 frames to show off their bikes. These bikes are still great and Iíd love to see what other folks did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well what settings did you ride on the betd

Hey bad andy

What travel on the front fork and betd setting did you have? I read too many good things about betd but not so many recent hoorays for MRP. Did I make the wrong decision purchasing the MRP?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey xcpalmer, I used a 5" fork with the link set at 5" - It was super-plush. I used it to ride bigger stuff than originally intended for that bike (xc purposed really) and was getting into freeride/XStuntry with it. It rode well, as a matter of fact - memories of that bike drew me back to specialized in 06 with the purchase of an enduro. But alas, I digress.

If you simply want an improvement on the original link, and are still going to be riding XC style stuff the MRP is great.

If you want to mutate the bike a little and get longer travel and ride more FR/XS stuff, go with the BETD.

It all comes down to what you want to ride with it really. Good luck - have fun!