mtbr member
    Nov 2010

More travel, better or worse???

I have a 2011 Rockhopper Pro 29er with the RockShox Recon Silver SL 29 80 mm travel. I spoke with my guy at a LBS and he said that in 15 minutes he could take out a few spacers and change the travel to 100mm or 120mm. I am extremely pleased with the way the bike handles as is. My concerns are this: 1. Should I mess with the factory settings and design for frame? 2. Will this take away the tight feeling I have with the shorter throw of suspension?

Thank you for any feedback!
    Last edited by ryanlee; 01-10-2011 at 10:03 PM.

mtbr member
    If you like it, why change it?

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Rockhopper, which I am pretty sure is the exact same frame as the 2011 models. I run a Reba RLT fork.
    I swapped the fork from 80mm to 100mm and couldn't be happier. It made the bike a little more slack up front, and I just played with the spacers under the stem to keep the bar height around the same more or less.

I think it's more a matter of personal preference and it's just something you will have to try to see if it works for you.

official eMpTyBRain
    I can't see why anyone would need more than 80mm's of fork travel on a hardtail. If you slacken the headtube angle by increasing the travel, you'll lose a little of the bike's quickness to react. You'll also be farther back on steeper climbs.

But, if you live in the flatlands with little or no climbing involved, changing the travel wouldn't matter, I guess. I suppose it would make for cushier landings if you are a jumper.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    "If you like it, why change it?"
    THAT'S KIND OF WHAT I WAS THINKING...

I swapped the fork from 80mm to 100mm and couldn't be happier.
    THIS IS WHAT I AM HEARING FROM ABOUT 50% OF PEOPLE I TALK TO...

I can't see why anyone would need more than 80mm's of fork travel on a hardtail.
    ...AND THIS IS WHAT I AM HEARING FROM THE OTHER 50%.
    Last edited by ryanlee; 01-11-2011 at 09:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    I can't see why anyone would need more than 80mm's of fork travel on a hardtail. If you slacken the headtube angle by increasing the travel, you'll lose a little of the bike's quickness to react. You'll also be farther back on steeper climbs.

But, if you live in the flatlands with little or no climbing involved, changing the travel wouldn't matter, I guess. I suppose it would make for cushier landings if you are a jumper.
    This is what everyone says, but I just went from a Specialized FSR XC Comp with a HTA of 69 degrees to a Reign with a HTA of 67 or so. I found tight turns to actually be easier on my new bike. And yes, I know there is more to it than just HTA, but everything geometry wise says the Specialized should have been better.

mtbr member
    How much would 20mm actually slacken the head angle on a bike? I can't see it being much more than one degree if nothing else changed on the bike.

Also, I noticed after I bumped my travel up from 80mm to 100mm, pedal strikes have become almost non-existent. I know it wouldn't raise the BB up much, but it is noticeable to me. Working on trying to time my pedaling with the terrain has helped too.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshM
    How much would 20mm actually slacken the head angle on a bike? I can't see it being much more than one degree if nothing else changed on the bike.
    Probably about that much, but a degree, combined with the increase in bar height would change the way the bike handles. Personally, I would leave it as is, and keep riding it until you don't even notice the "lack" of front suspension travel.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    I can't see why anyone would need more than 80mm's of fork travel on a hardtail.
    80mm seems like hardly anything these days.

My hardtail takes from 100mm - 130mm and 120mm is just right for it. Much better on the descents than my previous 100mm fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    Probably about that much, but a degree, combined with the increase in bar height would change the way the bike handles. Personally, I would leave it as is, and keep riding it until you don't even notice the "lack" of front suspension travel.
    After looking at the new HT Stumpys and seeing that they only have 80MM travel, I am going to leave well enough alone and put a little trust into the R&D department at Specialized. When I start taking bigger hits on the trail I think upgrading to a higher quality 80MM shock will be the route to take.