Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: Mike Sinyard

  1. #1
    ...idios...
    Reputation: SteveUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,662

    Mike Sinyard

    Your company has become psychotic. Please wake up and leave Epic Designs Alaska to their business.
    .
    .


    What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,062
    +1 Hearing about this lawsuit makes me ashamed that I ride a Specialized. I guess now if I use the word "Epic" other than describing your bike, I can be sued? Please cease and desist on this completely brainless lawsuit and let the man carry on with his business. A business that has nothing to do with your market share. Pretty damn lame Mike!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    614
    Good thing you made this thread. I'm sure once they read this they will drop the lawsuit.

  4. #4
    ...idios...
    Reputation: SteveUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,662
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96
    Good thing you made this thread. I'm sure once they read this they will drop the lawsuit.
    I have a voice; I'm using it. I don't care whether or not I have your approval.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    614
    Pretty tough words there champ.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    614
    If you feel so strongly about it why not contact specialized? just a thought. (maybe you did already)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    439
    SteveUK: Perhaps you should change the title so it's more descriptive. Regardless, I'm with you.

  8. #8
    Compelling, and rich.
    Reputation: CasteelG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    644
    Because this isn't par for the course for so many other bike companies... or companies in general?

    It's amusing how so many people villainize big bike brands, especially Specialized, for this sort of action... when all the boutique brands that people hold so dear would probably do the exact same thing in this type of situation if they had the resources.

    I'm not saying I approve, but this is just the way things go. Businesses will be businesses. Many of them are hyper-sensitive about this sorta thing. Anything that can be construed as an infringement on patents, products or trademarks will be construed as such by the legal teams of large companies.

    Also, this person who started Epic Designs did so in 2007, well after the Epic line of bikes was introduced. So who knows? Maybe he IS trying to ride on the coattails of Specialized.

  9. #9
    dog lover-not in that way
    Reputation: 417markg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    265
    Row Row Fight The Powah

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    407
    Right, how about this line of thinking...

    It's 2007 and I want to start up a business selling bike stuff. Let's call it Epic. Oh wait, one of the biggest bike companies in the world has a trademark on Epic for one of their bike models. Oh geez, I guess we will just proceed and if we get called out on it we will take some kind of David and Golliath stance.

    I gotta go with CasteelG on this one. However we can all see the impact is likely small, but in this country you have to protect your trademarks. If you own a business or have had to clear trademarks you know what I'm talking about.

  11. #11
    ...idios...
    Reputation: SteveUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,662
    Because this isn't par for the course for so many other bike companies... or companies in general?
    You're an apologist, I perceive.
    .
    .


    What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG
    Because this isn't par for the course for so many other bike companies... or companies in general?

    It's amusing how so many people villainize big bike brands, especially Specialized, for this sort of action... when all the boutique brands that people hold so dear would probably do the exact same thing in this type of situation if they had the resources.

    I'm not saying I approve, but this is just the way things go. Businesses will be businesses. Many of them are hyper-sensitive about this sorta thing. Anything that can be construed as an infringement on patents, products or trademarks will be construed as such by the legal teams of large companies.

    Also, this person who started Epic Designs did so in 2007, well after the Epic line of bikes was introduced. So who knows? Maybe he IS trying to ride on the coattails of Specialized.
    I agree. This thread is just silly. Move on.

  13. #13
    Compelling, and rich.
    Reputation: CasteelG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    You're an apologist, I perceive.
    Ah. Straw man. My favorite informal fallacy. Saying I'm an apologist neither helps your voice be heard or disproves what I stated.

    I'm merely playing devil's advocate.

  14. #14
    The Other Dude
    Reputation: jut8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,079
    Even though i hate all the political stuff and really i am just on the forum because i love to ride bikes, i would like to think there is more to this than all of us know. A quick google search got me these sites:

    http://www.epic.com/
    Integrated software company

    http://www.epicgames.com/
    gaming company

    http://epic.org/
    Electronic Privacy Information Center

    http://www.health.state.ny.us/health_care/epic/
    Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage

    http://www.epicrecords.com/

    www.epickayaks.com

    www.epicsol.org

    www.epicauthors.com

    http://www.epicforchildren.org/

    http://www.epicforchildren.org/

    www.epicroasthousesf.com/

    www.epicaircraft.com
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    614
    Not really sure how Specialized is so terrible. I can't believe I'm still in this thread

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    Even though i hate all the political stuff and really i am just on the forum because i love to ride bikes, i would like to think there is more to this than all of us know. A quick google search got me these sites:

    http://www.epic.com/
    Integrated software company

    http://www.epicgames.com/
    gaming company

    http://epic.org/
    Electronic Privacy Information Center

    http://www.health.state.ny.us/health_care/epic/
    Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage

    http://www.epicrecords.com/

    www.epickayaks.com

    www.epicsol.org

    www.epicauthors.com

    http://www.epicforchildren.org/

    http://www.epicforchildren.org/

    www.epicroasthousesf.com/

    www.epicaircraft.com
    I guess the difference is they are not in the same industry?

  17. #17
    ...idios...
    Reputation: SteveUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,662
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG
    Saying I'm an apologist neither helps your voice be heard or disproves what I stated.
    I didn't say that it would.
    .
    .


    What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    I didn't say that it would.
    Why are you so "Stand offish" You made this thread and when someone disagree's with you, you get all pissy

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    I have a voice; I'm using it. I don't care whether or not I have your approval.
    Yes...you do have a voice...now, if you just had a brain to go with it, Scarecrow.

  20. #20
    Ride.Recover.Beer.
    Reputation: briank10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    255
    Just protecting their brand....

    I see no problem with it.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,062
    Sorry, but you folks who are apologizing for this behavior are flat out wrong. Oh, its par for the course, they are protecting their brand. Thats just the way it is. Lame. Protecting there brand? How in the hell am I going to mistake a bike bag with a XC race bike? I could see if this guy was manufacturing bikes with the name Epic, but he makes bags. Very frivolous if you ask me and makes Specialized look like sh*t because of it.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    Sorry, but you folks who are apologizing for this behavior are flat out wrong. Oh, its par for the course, they are protecting their brand. Thats just the way it is. Lame. Protecting there brand? How in the hell am I going to mistake a bike bag with a XC race bike? I could see if this guy was manufacturing bikes with the name Epic, but he makes bags. Very frivolous if you ask me and makes Specialized look like sh*t because of it.
    I bet if you had a company and someone in the same industry named their product after a very popular product you had, you would be singing a different tune.

    You guy's bashing Spec for doing this is immature. LIke what's been said before, at the end of the day it's a business and they feel they need to protect their brand name.

  23. #23
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    Sorry, but you folks who are apologizing for this behavior are flat out wrong. Oh, its par for the course, they are protecting their brand. Thats just the way it is. Lame. Protecting there brand? How in the hell am I going to mistake a bike bag with a XC race bike? I could see if this guy was manufacturing bikes with the name Epic, but he makes bags. Very frivolous if you ask me and makes Specialized look like sh*t because of it.
    +1.

    Everyone stood up for Rock Art brewery when Monster went after them, why is everyone siding with Specialized now?

    A stupid frivolous lawsuit. Like a bag design company could actually capitalize on the name of a race bike to make profit.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    614
    Why do I even care?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    797
    I think a big point is being missed:

    Specialized isn't suing the dude to put him out of business and bankrupt him, they just want the name changed because it is the same as a line of bikes they have had for almost 10 yrs.

    Is it really that big a deal to change the name of a company that has only been in existence for a few years?

    How about Sick Designs, or Bad Ass Bags?

    Morally correct or not, the law is on the side of Specialized quite simply. If you don't like it, ask mainland China if you can move on in. They don't give a crap about copy rights or trademarks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •