mtbr member
    Aug 2004

MBAction article - '07 S-Works Epic review

Has anyone read the MBAction Review of S-Works Epic in the March '07 issue? I'm still trying to figure out whether they really liked it or not.

In the MBAction contents page it states that "It gets everything right", but their review didn't strike me as very flattering....the brain shock didn't work right at first, "the 74 degree seat angle seems a bit forward on the flats", "tendency to slip the rear tire while attacking steep climbs", "gives up a noticeable amount of cushion", "harshness in the rear suspension's initial movement", XTR brake engagement was too close to the grip, etc.

I just purchased an S-Works Epic (picking it up tomorrow in fact) and now wondering whether I would have been better off building up a Racer-X frame.

By the way, anyone have an opinion on the trade in value on those XTR brakes if I wanted to swap them out for some Oro Puros?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have to admit I buy MBA but the reviews are pure rubbish. Anyone who is purchasing would be better off patroling these boards and messaging other owners. Most people will give it straight and tell you whether a product is good or not. I am betting you will love your epic and probably enjoy the xtr brakes as well. Enjoy your purchase. On a sidenote in one issue they predicted the year 2007 what was going to happen and they basically said the superlight mountain bike is back, sort of downing the current crop of "trailbikes". Yet in the issue you are referring to, they take a pretty light bike (epic) and turn it into a trail monster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

MBA: Epic Marathon = Trailbike

MBA placed the Marathon Epic with the Trailbikes because "the travel is pure quality." The S-Works is place with the race bikes.

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by ttvrdik
    MBA placed the Marathon Epic with the Trailbikes because "the travel is pure quality." The S-Works is place with the race bikes.
    That is interesting since both bikes share the same suspension. They differ only in frame material in the front triangle, right? Everything else, including dimensions and geometry would be identical. 80grams of frame weight is the (unverified) difference, I have read. Is that worth $1500? I doubt it. But the ride quality may be better due to that carbon, and it certainly looks more fashionable. You can't go wrong w/ the M5 marathon bike, IMHO. That's good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by cmv96
    In the MBAction contents page it states that "It gets everything right", but their review didn't strike me as very flattering....the brain shock didn't work right at first, "the 74 degree seat angle seems a bit forward on the flats", "tendency to slip the rear tire while attacking steep climbs", "gives up a noticeable amount of cushion", "harshness in the rear suspension's initial movement", XTR brake engagement was too close to the grip, etc.
    I noticed when I was setting up my new 07 M5 Epic Marathon, that the geometry seemed different w/ the seat angle. The reason I noticed is that w/ my old epic (04 Sworks), I rode w/ a non-layback Thomson seatpost with a Flite TT saddle slid all the way back on the rails. With my new bike (in order to get the same position setback from a point vertical center of the BB), I have a layback style Thomson - the same saddle, slid almost all the way back as well. That illustrated to me that something had changed w/ the geometry. The comment above about a 74 angle makes sense to me. I could see how that geometry could be intentionally designed steeper so that once you settle down into the shock at the sag level, maybe that becomes less upright, more like the usual 73 deg. standard? Just a theory.

Get an Epic. They are fabulous!
    Last edited by CDB; 01-26-2007 at 01:25 PM.

more beers, lees gears.
    in general, it seems MBA watches what they say. They never overly bash or praise too many bikes.

I have ridden a Racer X, Intense 5.5, & trek Feuls. I love my epic. Its a great, amazing handling bike for my terrain (AZ rocks) and style of XC riding. I ride my Epic on All mountain trails all the time.