mtbr member
    Jan 2009

MBA review of S-Works EPIC, 2011.

I just read the review again for the 2011 EPIC....all very nice....BUT something was amiss!

1) The technical aspect of the review was down played.
    2) The fact that this 21lb bike has a full 4 inches of travel.
    3) This is the BIG ONE...they didnt say anything about the price!!!!!!!!!

9Gs for the S-Works EPIC....with 26 inch wheels....even more for 29 inch wheels.

I am not sure what to think/feel about this missing comment from MBA. By not saying anything are they in approval. OR, they dont dare comment on the price, as Specialized buys A LOT of advertising - dont bite the hand that feeds you!

My overall sense of the review was that it was a POLITICALLY CORRECT response to the bicycle that is the S-Works EPIC.

My 2 cents ..... BORING! Maybe I should start reading the UK magazines, as they like to tell it how it is. They would comment like this:

1) amazing leaps forward in stiffness have been made with the rear axle (without much wieght penalty), OE wheels are the best we have ever seen, Carbon frame technology is still a moving target, tuff race package to beat - period.

2) 4 inches of travel for a race bike that is 21lbs....WOW, hardtails your days are numbered!

3) Okay, we love everything about the S-Works EPIC, except - wait for it - THE PRICE!!! For crying out loud, why build the most amazing bike that nobody can afford. CRAP, off I go back to my cheap carbon hardtail.

goodtimes.........LC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twenty6black
    I just read the review again for the 2011 EPIC....all very nice....BUT something was amiss!

1) The technical aspect of the review was down played.
    2) The fact that this 21lb bike has a full 4 inches of travel.
    3) This is the BIG ONE...they didnt say anything about the price!!!!!!!!!

9Gs for the S-Works EPIC....with 26 inch wheels....even more for 29 inch wheels.

I am not sure what to think/feel about this missing comment from MBA. By not saying anything are they in approval. OR, they dont dare comment on the price, as Specialized buys A LOT of advertising - dont bite the hand that feeds you!

My overall sense of the review was that it was a POLITICALLY CORRECT response to the bicycle that is the S-Works EPIC.

My 2 cents ..... BORING! Maybe I should start reading the UK magazines, as they like to tell it how it is. They would comment like this:

1) amazing leaps forward in stiffness have been made with the rear axle (without much wieght penalty), OE wheels are the best we have ever seen, Carbon frame technology is still a moving target, tuff race package to beat - period.

2) 4 inches of travel for a race bike that is 21lbs....WOW, hardtails your days are numbered!

3) Okay, we love everything about the S-Works EPIC, except - wait for it - THE PRICE!!! For crying out loud, why build the most amazing bike that nobody can afford. CRAP, off I go back to my cheap carbon hardtail.

goodtimes.........LC
    That's not the official MBA bike review; it's a preview. They generally don't conjecture prices (unless they squeeze out a quote from some loose-lipped rep: "We hear it's going to be priced around...").

When they perform the official review, the table at the end of the article will list its MSRP, along with specs, country-of-origin, etc.

gone for a bike ride
    Quote Originally Posted by twenty6black
    why build the most amazing bike that nobody can afford. CRAP, off I go back to my cheap carbon hardtail.
    that bike review was typical MBA blinkered corporate advertising fodder

apart from the astronomic ticket price (and depreciation) MBA neglected to mention the obligatory warranty service period for the brainiac hardtail esque suspension - which is after every 30 hours riding i believe?

really think the pricing reflects that Specialized predict to warranty replace a very high volume of the frames & suspension

i needed to retire my vintage 04 S-Works Epic - so purchased a 29" carbon hardtail frameset & are building that up instead of replacing it with another SW Epic - and as a result iam still married

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    That's not the official MBA bike review; it's a preview. They generally don't conjecture prices (unless they squeeze out a quote from some loose-lipped rep: "We hear it's going to be priced around...").

When they perform the official review, the table at the end of the article will list its MSRP, along with specs, country-of-origin, etc.
    The prices are clearly posted on the Specialized website. $8800 for the 26 and $9400 for the 29er.

What's to conjecture about that???
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    The prices are clearly posted on the Specialized website. $8800 for the 26 and $9400 for the 29er.

Yes, but they weren't when the MBA article was printed.

I don't have the MBA issue but according to THIS thread it was at least back in June.

I'm not sure why twenty6black didn't just post this in the thread that started with the posting about the article. Maybe he couldn't find it as it's dropped back a few pages.

Cheers!

gone for a bike ride
    Last edited by culturesponge; 10-01-2010 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Ahhh, OK. Well that would explain things. I was a bit confused about the date of this post since I knew the article came out a couple of months ago! I just thought there was a new article the OP was commenting about.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Mba Test Ride

Ahhh, OK. Well that would explain things. I was a bit confused about the date of this post since I knew the article came out a couple of months ago! I just thought there was a new article the OP was commenting about.

Not the preview, the latest test ride review in the October issue (i think).

I read it again....they do like the Sworks EPIC (26) but they dont get excited...maybe thats the idea - call it as they see it!

For me....I would give my left nut for a 2011 S-Works EPIC....seriously I would.

mtbr member
    Ooops. My bad. I thought you were referring to the original article. I didn't know there was a new one!

Cheers!

mtbr member

Your barb should be pointed at MBA, not me. I'm not the one that didn't print the price that apparently is posted on the Spec website, spotted by your EE (Eagle Eyes).

gone for a bike ride
    2011 Specialized USA Epic web front page
    really like the new S website - even used to the drop-down menu now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    Your barb should be pointed at MBA, not me. I'm not the one that didn't print the price that apparently is posted on the Spec website, spotted by your EE (Eagle Eyes).
    My "EE" and pretty much everyone else's on the planet who has looked at the Spec website.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    My "EE" and pretty much everyone else's on the planet who has looked at the Spec website.
    Wow, thanks! I had no idea the prices were posted!

You should now call MBA to let them know, as apparently you missed my point by a country mile.