mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Marta Brakes on '08 Stumpy

Does anyone have any experience with using non OE pads or discs with Marta or Marta SL Brakes?

My brake pads seem to keep becoming glazed (perhaps I need to find somewhere muddier to ride?) For this reason I am wondering about aftermarket pads and also discs (I like the hope sawtooth floating rotors for their bling although a little heavier). I know that Magura dont recommend aftermarket kit for their brakes, but what experiences/ problems have been encountered?

Take Chances
    I ran with those rotors and they F*ed up the pads on a regular basis. I have the Marta on my 07stumpy and they are great.

I'd recommend changing rotors first before trying aftermarket
    Cadmanrjm

mtbr member
    I recommend sticking with the OEM pads for the warranty, performance & reliability.
    Marta offers two pad options:
    5.2 Endurance compound is for long life - some noise
    5.1 Performance compound is for strongest braking power - little or no noise (stock on your Specialized)
    I looked in to all pad options & did not find any reason that justified trying them. I run the 5.1 pads and have to change them once a year. BlueSkyCycling.com has either of them on sale for $22.98.
    Hope this helps
    PS: I love these brakes. No issues at all. Make sure you "burn" in the new pads and or rotors.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I second Jacobus on the OEM track - I bought some EBC pads specced for the Marta, and they didn't even fit. Not worth the $10 savings, and my Magura pads lasted over a year, anyways.