Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

In the Market for a bike

771 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BHertz 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm new to the forums. My name is Donald, and I am about 5'6 160. I am looking for a mountain bike to hit the trails and for the occasional ride around town. My brother recently bought a 2000 Rockhopper and recommended a Hardrock sport. The bike shop in town sells the Hardrock sport for $390 and the HRS disc for $500. I am leaning more towards the bike without disc brakes to save some cash. The bike shop also carrys Haro and Raleigh bikes, so I was wondering if, within a $400 budget, do Haro or Raleigh bikes compare with the hardrock?

Thanks for the help,

Donald.

#3 ·
I recommend getting the HR disc. It's quite significant, the power that disc brakes have over rim brakes these days. Granted, I do not know what type of disc brakes that the entry level HR has, or how efficient they are. Regardless, I think it's worth the extra money. Also, get your bike from a local, trustworthy bike shop. Seems like you're just starting off, so it would be better for you to be able to take it back anytime you need help or maintanence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.