mtbr member
    Nov 2009

New question here. Manual for Rock Shox Reba SL 29??

This is the fork on my new 2010 FSR Stumpjumper Comp 29. I have no manual on how to adjust sag/pressure. Specialized is not responding to emails, Google came up with zilch... WTF!

Did you get a manual or you have any such info? How do I set up sag and pressure correctly?

More about the fork: "Rock Shox Reba SL 29 for Specialized, 120mm of travel, 45mm offset, air spring, alloy tapered steerer, compression and rebound adj. w/ LO"

Need more cowbell
    This is where i started....
    My Reba had a "chart" on one leg of the fork that gave pressures to start with based on rider weight...then you just tweak it from there based on preference...

http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/tuning_tips.php

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Aha... I guess that would be a DUH for me - I missed that.

Chart mentions that for 180-200lbs (rider weight) to have 120-135 PSI for both/each positive air and negative air. This seems to match the chart at http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/servi..._inflation.pdf. NOte that the Reba SL 29 (custom for Specialized) is not called in there specifically but seems to have the same settings as Reba/Pike/Revelation Dual Air

The other relevant info I get from the link you provided is:
    Dual Air Equipped Forks (2003-2004 SID World Cup & Team, 2001-2003 SID Race, 2001-2002 SID SL, 2001-2002 Psylo Race, and 2002 Duke Race):
    By utilizing the negative air feature of your DUAL AIR fork, you can actually help tune the rate of rebound as well as compression.

TIP! Decrease the negative air volume to increase (speed up) the rate of rebound of your fork. Increase the negative air volume to decrease (slow down) the rate of rebound.

(I guess I now know that my fork is "dual-air"...)

But still no information on sag settings... any ideas on that? Should it be 20% or 25% of the total 120mm travel?

mtbr member
    Yes, 20-25% of the total 120mm travel. Experiment and stick with what you like. It's not an equation with only one right answer.

If you hunt around MTBR, you'll get a camp that swears by the "60%" rule. Set positive at 60% of your body weight and negative pressure somewhere below that. This camp swears that this gives the "plushest" ride and that the manual is wrong when it talks about the affect of the pos/neg pressure settings. I think the manual is right, running a higher negative pressure than positive pressure seems to give a more plush feel. I think this fork has so much adjustability that nobody agrees with how others have theirs setup.

I have a Reba Race 29er, 100mm travel, I think an '06 model. I weigh 195 lbs and use just under 120 psi in the positive and 125 psi in the negative. I prefer a plush ride, I don't mind the pedal bob, I only use the compression damper as full off or full on for a lock out. I have the flood gate all the way closed because I want the lock out to be firm.

here's a start to the endless argument on "properly" setting up a Reba.
    Reba fine tuning

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
    I only use the compression damper as full off or full on for a lock out. I have the flood gate all the way closed because I want the lock out to be firm.
    Ewarnerusa - great feedback, thanks. I have been collecting the info in a master checklist for setting things up - please see http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6412121 if you have further feedback.

To clarify the quote above - the flood gate is controlled by the red rebound knob? I also like the lockout to be firm (which it isn't) and did not know that I can adjust that - how? Is there a drawback? (like when I turn the blue knob from full lockout to full open it will be less "plush"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rneagu
    Ewarnerusa - great feedback, thanks. I have been collecting the info in a master checklist for setting things up - please see http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6412121 if you have further feedback.

To clarify the quote above - the flood gate is controlled by the red rebound knob? I also like the lockout to be firm (which it isn't) and did not know that I can adjust that - how? Is there a drawback? (like when I turn the blue knob from full lockout to full open it will be less "plush"?
    I checked out your link to your thread. Wow, you have really researched things! I applaud your attention to detail, but don't lose sight of the fact that it comes down to personal preference.

I assume your fork is the same as mine, the Rockshox website seems to look like it.
    http://www.sram.com/node/45/brand/rockshox/src/cat
    I'll give you my thoughts, which of course I think are right! But others certainly know more about this. While seated normally on the bike looking down at the fork, the compression damping control is the dial on the top of the right fork leg. Full counterclockwise is full off, full clockwise is full on (lockout). This adjustment basically controls how fast the shock compresses when you hit bumps. Full on and it is restricted to the point of not moving at all (locked out). There is a silver dial in the center of the compression damping dial. Mine says "GATE" on it. This is the floodgate. It sets the blowoff threshold of the lock out and only has a function when your fork is set at full lock out. If you want your lock out to be "soft", meaning it still has some travel or that slight input will still activate your fork, then adjust the floodgate dial counterclockwise. Conversely, if you want a firm lockout that responds less to input then turn the floodgate clockwise. Personally, I want the fork friggin' locked out so I keep my floodgate at full clockwise.
    The red dial at the bottom of the right fork leg is the rebound damping control. It affects how quickly the shock returns back to normal after it has been compressed. Too fast and it will bounce you all over. Too slow and it will pack up and not return to normal position.

cougarbait
    reba sl does not have the same damper as reba race
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    which damper? I'm not disagreeing, I've certainly never taken my fork apart before. But I've got 3 riding buddies with the SL that seem to work the same as mine. Although I don't know what is inside the forks, just the dials and adjustments on the outside. I haven't seen the new ones in person, though. website says "Motion Control" for damper on SL and Race flavors.

EDIT: I see, on the SRAM website it says for the Race "Adjustments: External Rebound, Low Speed Compression, External Floodgate And Lockout, Spring Via Air Pressure "

SL says "Adjustments: External Rebound, Low Speed Compression, Tooled Floodgate And External Lockout, Spring Via Air Pressure "

So I'm not sure exactly what "tooled floodgate" means or how to adjust the lockout on the new SL. Sorry if I've just made things more confusing.

cougarbait
    So I'm not sure exactly what "tooled floodgate" means or how to adjust the lockout on the new SL. Sorry if I've just made things more confusing.
    the floodgate is adjusted with an allen wrench instead of a knob
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    the floodgate is adjusted with an allen wrench instead of a knob
    I see, thanks. So it probably does work the same, you just need a tool to adjust the floodgate. Sounds like a cheesy way to down-spec the SL. Sort of like getting rid of the outboard pad adjustment knob to invent the down-spec'd Avid BB5 mechanical disc brake...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I checked out your link to your thread. Wow, you have really researched things! I applaud your attention to detail, but don't lose sight of the fact that it comes down to personal preference.

I assume your fork is the same as mine, the Rockshox website seems to look like it.
    http://www.sram.com/node/45/brand/rockshox/src/cat
    I'll give you my thoughts, which of course I think are right! But others certainly know more about this. While seated normally on the bike looking down at the fork, the compression damping control is the dial on the top of the right fork leg. Full counterclockwise is full off, full clockwise is full on (lockout). This adjustment basically controls how fast the shock compresses when you hit bumps. Full on and it is restricted to the point of not moving at all (locked out). There is a silver dial in the center of the compression damping dial. Mine says "GATE" on it. This is the floodgate. It sets the blowoff threshold of the lock out and only has a function when your fork is set at full lock out. If you want your lock out to be "soft", meaning it still has some travel or that slight input will still activate your fork, then adjust the floodgate dial counterclockwise. Conversely, if you want a firm lockout that responds less to input then turn the floodgate clockwise. Personally, I want the fork friggin' locked out so I keep my floodgate at full clockwise.
    The red dial at the bottom of the right fork leg is the rebound damping control. It affects how quickly the shock returns back to normal after it has been compressed. Too fast and it will bounce you all over. Too slow and it will pack up and not return to normal position.

Jesus,

I have been looking around for so long to find this info written in THIS WAY...

Thanx so much!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Helpful to me as well. Thanks!