mtbr member
    May 2008

Making Your Own Studded Tires

Has anybody made there own studded tires? How did it work out? I don't want any of them coming out and scratching my frame,that would really upset me.If you did how did you make them and some pics would be nice. Thanks

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgo47
    Has anybody made there own studded tires? How did it work out? I don't want any of them coming out and scratching my frame,that would really upset me.If you did how did you make them and some pics would be nice. Thanks
    Just did it a week ago. Fun and effective!

My home made studded mountain bike tires from Dave Tozer on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Indy dave Thanks for the vid. Going to pick the scrwews up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgo47
    Indy dave Thanks for the vid. Going to pick the scrwews up tomorrow.
    My pleasure. Have fun.

I am especially glad I did it, since we are getting a pretty major ice event here in Indy right now! Bring it on!!!!

tag007

Chains

I didn't make studded tires, but went to Lowe's instead and purchased some 12 ga. jack chain. Two hours and six beers later I have some custom built chains on my 08 Enduro. Drawbacks? Heavy. Awesome cornering and traction though. I actually climbed a rather icy mini waterfall quite easily. The added weight has one huge benefit. When you take them off in the spring you go like a mofo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making Your Own Studded Tires-100_2971_edited.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah, I also decided to make my own studded tires, using M8 x 3/8 inch long screws (two rows up front, and a single one on the rear tire). Inside the tire, Iíve covered the head of screws with a liner, made of an old tube, obviously to give an extra protection against tube punctures. Paid attention to go thru the studís of the tires, which keep the screws in place perfectly.

The grip performances are excellent !! Nothing less. On packed snow and ice, it almost climbs like in summer, and I run downhill slopes nearly as fast as if there was no snow !!

Only down side is ... rolling resistance!! And lots of it!!!!! In fact, at speed, I canít keep up with my buddies on flats.