mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Maintaince on an Air Fork

I just got a 2010 Rockhopper Expert 29er. I put a Rock Shox Reba SL Dual Air Fork on it. This is my first air fork and I don't know how to maintain it. My LBS said the take a toothbrush and scrub all the visble dirt of the seals after every ride and then use a rag to get the rest of the dirt off. Is this all I need to do? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stlmtbiker
    I just got a 2010 Rockhopper Expert 29er. I put a Rock Shox Reba SL Dual Air Fork on it. This is my first air fork and I don't know how to maintain it. My LBS said the take a toothbrush and scrub all the visble dirt of the seals after every ride and then use a rag to get the rest of the dirt off. Is this all I need to do? Thanks
    Of course keep the outside wiped clean ----I would not use a toothbrush ( don't spray water on it ----or the rest of your bike )

The fork will need to be disasembled, compleatly cleaned and have the oil changed and slick honey up the bushings and foam wipes and seals.
    Its just needs TLC like anything else .

Its real easy to do ------there are videos on line .

I like to do my forks and shock often to keep them fresh and working smoothly , and make any valving changes I may need .

Most guys will have their forks and or shocks done once or twice a year if they can't do it them selves .

Guys that can do their stuff will do them several times a year if not more .