mtbr member
    Jul 2013

M5 makes Specialized more expensive than the competition?

I'm not sure about other frame materials, but I noticed that Specialized bikes with M5 frames are always more expensive than other brands of similar grade (if not exactly the same) components.

Is it the M5 frame that makes this brand more expensive than their competitors? If not, what makes it more expensive?
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The name on the downtube
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    TwoTone has a very valid point. I think Specialized is making some of the most advanced MTB frames and suspension going, but you definitely are going to pay more for the same level of equipment compared to much of the competition.
    TOM
    USA Cycling Certified Coach

www.tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.com

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

Interplanetary Poultry
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_beginner View Post
    I'm not sure about other frame materials, but I noticed that Specialized bikes with M5 frames are always more expensive than other brands of similar grade (if not exactly the same) components.

Is it the M5 frame that makes this brand more expensive than their competitors? If not, what makes it more expensive?
    IIRC the M stands for Magnesium, not that the frame is made from magnesium, but that it's mixed into the alloy. I remember when the alloy Rockhopper came out and it was an A1 frame while the Stumpy was an M1 at the time. So in theory the alloy is different, but you are indeed paying for the company nameplate and all that implies as well.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Fat-tired Roadie
    The name.

There are standard aluminum alloys, that must meet certain requirements. M5 is made up by Specialized.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    There are a lot of conversations already about this floating around internet-land.

What is M5
    Specialized Epic M5 vs M4 frames
    What is M5 Alloy? [Archive] - Bike Forums
    Specialized A1 vs. M5... I have weight comparisons!
    Differences between M4 & M5 Frames..

Let the haters, hate. I love my S-Works M5 that I paid not even half of the MSRP for, brand new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mevadus View Post
    There are a lot of conversations already about this floating around internet-land.

What is M5
    Specialized Epic M5 vs M4 frames
    What is M5 Alloy? [Archive] - Bike Forums
    Specialized A1 vs. M5... I have weight comparisons!
    Differences between M4 & M5 Frames..

Let the haters, hate. I love my S-Works M5 that I paid not even half of the MSRP for, brand new.
    I always wonder how old a poster is when you read that phrase.. Why is it hate? Fact is a fact. When you compare a similar price Specialized to another brand it normally has a lower spec component wise. If you think think the M5 alloy is worth that great.

I loved my 2000 SWorks, but like yours it was at a steep year end discount when I bought it, if I had to pay anywhere close to MRSP there would have been other bike that were better values.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Fat-tired Roadie
    FWIW, my frame is also some kind of special non-spec aluminum that I just have to believe the manufacturer's claims about. And I have to admit, it does capture my imagination a bit to have a semi-exotic alloy.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: M5 makes Specialized more expensive than the competition?

Thanks everyone for the replies. At least I now have an idea on what makes the brand the most expensive.

mevadus, sorry I have to disagree with you. I don't see any hint of hating as far as the replies I got above.
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I always wonder how old a poster is when you read that phrase..

When you compare a similar price Specialized to another brand it normally has a lower spec component wise. If you think think the M5 alloy is worth that great.
    I do have a lot of gray hair...

My frame was sold as a frameset only, no components included. I agree though, if you look at what you get component wise for a Giant vs. a Specialized in a similar price range, Giant definitely offers better components, imho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_beginner View Post
    mevadus, sorry I have to disagree with you. I don't see any hint of hating as far as the replies I got above.
    Mmm, yea I probably misinterpreted what people were saying.