Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Devastazione's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    977

    M5 Epic Comp 2013 : worth to upgrade (heavily) ?

    I'm sorry to report that the short experience with Cannondale has not gone through as expected therefore I'm considering to put the bike on the market and go back to a never forgotten Epic. I'm not going to get an Expert this time and my finances do not allow me to get a red Marathon ( my market gets an all red Marathon I lose sleep over). The closest thing to the Marathon in terms of color would be the extremely entry level M5 Comp. The bike on my market is red and it truly looks like the carbon Marathon,I just love it.

    So,first of all the have an M5 alu instead of the usual FACT carbon. How would you compare it in terms of weight ?
    Secondly : specs . I would tear this bike apart and place Roval Carbon wheels,carbon seat post,carbon bar and get rid of the lousy crank too.

    Bottom line : is all this worth it ? I'm getting 40 in june and planning to get myself a big shot bike,it may be a Tarmac Sworks or maybe a 2014 Epic,who knows. The red M5 Epic may stay and the roadie Roubaix my go and make funds.....ah,those problems.

    Again,I love that little red bike......

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    136
    The weight difference between the comp and the comp carbon is somewhere around 300 grams,

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,576
    What was wrong with the Cannondale F29? You've only had it a couple of weeks? It looked nice in your pictures.

    Buying a 2013 M5 Epic comp and rebuilding it doesn't seem like a very good idea, especially if it's only a temporary fill in bike until the summer. It's going to end up as an expensive project without really doing what you're after.

    I'd say that it would be better to wait, save up and get the "full fat" 2014 S-Works Epic when they become available instead.

    Even if you get rid of the Cannondale F29 you still have the 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29. That's a good do everything bike. I'd be quite happy to just ride that as my all round mountain bike until the summer.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Devastazione's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    What was wrong with the Cannondale F29? You've only had it a couple of weeks? It looked nice in your pictures.

    Buying a 2013 M5 Epic comp and rebuilding it doesn't seem like a very good idea, especially if it's only a temporary fill in bike until the summer. It's going to end up as an expensive project without really doing what you're after.

    I'd say that it would be better to wait, save up and get the "full fat" 2014 S-Works Epic when they become available instead.

    Even if you get rid of the Cannondale F29 you still have the 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29. That's a good do everything bike. I'd be quite happy to just ride that as my all round mountain bike until the summer.
    Correct,that's one common sense answer indeed

    About my Flash I'm in love with the fork but the frame did not click with me. I mean it's a great bike but it seems that Specialized's 56 and L frames were built around my body. I'm at my 4th Spesh bike and can't stop tell myself how I feel right at home on these bikes.

    And ok.....my back is taking a beating....
    Last edited by Devastazione; 01-09-2013 at 03:37 AM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    719
    I'm probably not the best person to answer this question since I don't race. However, I've been riding a Epic Comp 29er for 2 years now and I have no urge to go out and buy the carbon. It rides great, and I find it very hard to believe that the weight savings makes any meaningful difference for the vast majority of us.

    If the real issue is simply that you want a carbon frame and won't be happy until you have it, then I say wait and buy what you want. Otherwise, buy the carbon, put the parts that you want on it with the money that you saved, and go out and ride it. I can't imagine that you will be disappointed.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,914

    Bikes

    You go through alot of bikes to always be posting about budget constraints. Did you not just buy some Crossmax wheels for the F29? Want to sell them to me to help your fund for the next epic???????
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    I've been riding a Epic Comp 29er for 2 years now and I have no urge to go out and buy the carbon. It rides great, and I find it very hard to believe that the weight savings makes any meaningful difference for the vast majority of us.

    If the real issue is simply that you want a carbon frame and won't be happy until you have it, then I say wait and buy what you want.
    Very true, anyone who says they can notice the weight difference between carbon and alloy is full of ****. I highly doubt anyone can even notice the rigidity difference. The tiny 200g savings is erased by your water bottle, mud on your frame, eating one extra energy bar, not going to the bathroom, or a dozen other stupid things. Now riding different on one is another story due to the placebo effect, which has cured cancer! The power of thought is more powerful than many realize. Which is why you have all of the glowing reviews of 29ers and carbon stuff, its really not any better, people just think it is.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Devastazione's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    You go through alot of bikes to always be posting about budget constraints. Did you not just buy some Crossmax wheels for the F29? Want to sell them to me to help your fund for the next epic???????
    LOL,you're quite right my friend...

    I've now decided to keep the F29 until late spring and see what I'll do with it by then. I don't ride at all in summer due to my job so maybe late spring will be a good time to decide to sell it instead of leaving in the garage losing value. That way when I'll be ready to ride again in september I'll have some extra cash to buy a better specced carbon Epic . Or keep riding with my F29,we'll see what big mom Specialized will bring to the market
    Last edited by Devastazione; 01-10-2013 at 05:49 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    And ok.....my back is taking a beating....
    You could try some of the suggestions in this thread to see if they help.

    Just picked up my first ht29er but my back is killing me!!!

    .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •