mtbr member
    Feb 2007

M10 Carbon vs M9 Carbon

Can somone explain the difference between the SJ Carbon Pro Frame and the
    SJ S-Works Carbon frame? FACT M10 vs M9 ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah, well, this is the typical kind of question that will give us gueswork as an answer.
    Would'nt it be nice if Specialized could give us an exhaustive comparison of both M9 and M1?
    I gues this forum must be closely followed by some expert Specilized people.
    So guys, please explain or tell us where we can find the information.

mtbr member
    I guess they are same frames with just different labels, only to make different price points look more reasonable. Somebody from Specialized can hopefully prove me wrong...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hi Aztec31,

actually there is a difference!
    M9 is slightly lower in tensile strength and modulus comapred to M10. That's why there are more layers used. The Pro frames are usually about 100g heavier to achieve the same performance.

JTP

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    So the M9 and the M10 have the same performance, only that the M9 is heavier by 100g?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    the frames made out of M9 and M10 have very similar performance.
    Yes, the M9 version is heavier to achieve this

JPT

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks JPT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    always a pleasure

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    M9 is not as stiff as M10.It is the same with their road frames.They have 6, 8,and 10 on their road bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hi RyanE,

yes and no.

one layer M9 is less strong and less stiff than M10 but since we add more layers to the Pro frames the final strength and stiffness is similar.
    Just the weight went up due to extra layers.

If you do the two frames with the same layup, one M9 and one M10 then the weight will be the same but the M9 one is less stiff and less strong.

Does this makes sense to you?

ride on
    JPT

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    JPT thanks for the explanation. You know your stuff. You work for Specialized?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I better know my stuff, yes I am one of the composite engineers @ S.

JPT

mtbr member
    J.P.T. How strong is this on impacts from things like crashes and rocks hitting it?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    JPT: Could you tell us the weights of different type SJ FSR frames (M5 Alu, M9 Carbon, M10 Carbon)? I couldn't find the info from Specialized website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thx a lot JPT

Expert contributions as these make this forum so much more worthwile!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    sorry for late response. I'm quiet busy with tons of other stuff so I cannot check the forum frequently.

crashes/stone impact: technically we could make the tubes even thinner and have similar properties. But we don't do this. We added some extra strength on top of the existing strength requirements to make sure that a small crash doesn't cause a fracture. A big enough impact that causes a crack in the carbon tube would also cause a major damage to a comparable aluminum frame.

SJ FSR frame weights: (size M)
    M5: 2300g (ano)
    Pro: 2230g (clear painted)
    SW: 2150g (clear painted)

Note: there is a tolerance in this weight! Also, some colors weigh more than others. E.g. clear coated raw carbon is the lightest. Anodize weighs nothing at least not enough that you can measure it ...

back to work,
    Jan

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Good info JPT. I went and bought a SJ Pro Carbon. Hope to have it by this weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Are the Specialized Carbon Frames made in the USA?

mtbr member
    JPT, why exactly would someone want to buy a carbon model over the alum if the weight savings are only 70grams? What are the other pros/cons, if any?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All frames are made in Taiwan.
    While the weight may not be a huge difference the carbon frames ride much nicer than their aluminum counterparts.. even in an FS model. Carbon fiber can filter out high frequency impacts that even suspension does not absorb as well such as gravel roads etc. The rigidity and stiffness of the carbon makes it fantastic for racing or hard riding where you are putting down a lot of power and want all of your energy transferred efficiently.
    In a nut shell, carbon frames for mtn bikes for many of the same reasons as carbon bikes for aluminum bikes. You can get a carbon and aluminum rd bike to a simmilar weight, but the ride quality, comfort and stiffness to weight on the carbon bike will be way above that of the aluminum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    All product management, engineering and testing is done here in states.
    Production is overseas and controlled by our staff.
    Also we engineers are there very frequently to make sure everything is perfect.

JPT

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    nothing to add.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    JPT, excellent. This is exactly the information I am looking for. I am considering to buy an expert carbon (M9) mountain bike. I really appreciate your expert advices.

It's been a long time since your last reply, I hope you are still available to answer my questions.

Looking at the pattern of the surface of the carbon, M9 has larger white shadows than M10. Do you know why? Does Specialize purposely make this to differentiate only the branding of M10 and M9? Will this affect their performance (such as stiffness or strength)? I will assume there is no difference in performance (except weight) according to your information.