mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Lyrik R on Enduro-170mm possible?

Hello.
    Can the travel on Lyrik R fork be extended to 170mm from 160mm? What do I need to do?

the test dummy
    10mm up or 10mm down is what specialized says, any more or less your warranty is void.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I mean, the Spec OEM forks have 160mm travel, but the new Lyriks are 170mm travel. Is there a spacer in the fork leg I can get rid of?

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I thought it was 10% up or down? so +/-16mm?

I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s
    I thought it was 10% up or down? so +/-16mm?

I could be wrong.
    Edit: Maybe not, you might need either new uppers and/or lowers. Go consult your part numbers with those of the 170 forks. The damping (compression/rebound) assemblies might be different too.

Thrasher, i think you are asking if Speciallized will allow for warranty claims with different fork lengths there...which is a totally different issue than the actual ability to change the travel on that model fork.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 11-02-2010 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Top of page 18:
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rocks...cal-Manual.pdf

This is exactly the same setup as my OEM Lyrik R Solo Air that came on my 2011 Enduro Comp.
    Last edited by speedoflife; 11-02-2010 at 01:23 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by generator
    I mean, the Spec OEM forks have 160mm travel, but the new Lyriks are 170mm travel. Is there a spacer in the fork leg I can get rid of?
    Not all the new Lyriks are 170.

Quote Originally Posted by speedoflife
    Top of page 18:
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rocks...cal-Manual.pdf

This is exactly the same setup as my OEM Lyrik R Solo Air that came on my 2011 Enduro Comp.
    Well, there ya go. Someone who actually has the same fork verified the "optional" internal component, doesn't get better than that. Thanks to speedoflife.

OP - if you are looking for more performance, then upgrade your internals - they will have a much more pronounced effect than just adding another 6.25% to your travel and adding a bit of A2C height.

Big Hittin'
    somone was talking about on a similiar thread that you can remove a spacer and make it 170mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2
    somone was talking about on a similiar thread that you can remove a spacer and make it 170mm.
    That's exactly what it is. I rebuilt my brand new Lyrik R Solo Air (stock fork) for fun, and there is a simply plastic spacer in the air shaft assembly. Just leave it out, and you now have a 170mm fork. Easy to do, free, and fast. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure you can use two of those spacers to reduce travel to 150mm if you wish, but don't quote me on that. It's a very simple fork.

mtbr member
    Do you have a pic of your bike now with the 170mm up front? Do you have to disassemble the whole air shaft assembly to remove the spacer, or does it pop off without disassembling everything on the shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by speedoflife
    That's exactly what it is. I rebuilt my brand new Lyrik R Solo Air (stock fork) for fun, and there is a simply plastic spacer in the air shaft assembly. Just leave it out, and you now have a 170mm fork. Easy to do, free, and fast. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure you can use two of those spacers to reduce travel to 150mm if you wish, but don't quote me on that. It's a very simple fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirttrackin280h
    Do you have a pic of your bike now with the 170mm up front? Do you have to disassemble the whole air shaft assembly to remove the spacer, or does it pop off without disassembling everything on the shaft?
    I can get a picture... I'll put it up tomorrow. Well once you pull the air shaft assembly out, it all kind of slides off. It's very easy to do: Just remove the lowers, remove the snap ring, pull the assembly down, slide the bottom piece and the spacer off, slide it back together, push the assembly back up, put the snap ring and the lowers back on, and your good to go! You will need to replace the 15 mL of 15 wt oil in both of the lowers and the 6 mL of 15 wt oil in the air chamber as well. It's not that hard, and will take you about 1 hour if it's your first time.

Big Hittin'
    pic?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I took pictures to compare 160mm and 170mm, and you honestly can't tell the difference. The height with 170mm looks exactly the same compared to every picture I could find of Enduros with 160mm. I personally wouldn't recommend doing this. Since then I've put the spacer back in just because of warranty worries, and because there isn't enough difference in performance to make up for not heeding the warning in the owner's manual.

From Enduro owner's manual (I'm more worried about the damage to the frame part than the injury/death part ):
    "WARNING! The Enduro frame is compatible ONLY with single crown forks that have travel of 6.3” (160mm) or less. Use of different styled forks or forks with longer travel may result in catastrophic failure of the frame which may result in serious personal injury or death."

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Not all the new Lyriks are 170.

OP - if you are looking for more performance, then upgrade your internals - they will have a much more pronounced effect than just adding another 6.25% to your travel and adding a bit of A2C height.
    I agree with this ^^^

If you put Mission Control or Mission Control DH in, it will really help with the bottoming out and break dive. I've upgraded my Lyrik to MC DH and it made a big difference with high speed compression.

If you go on socaltrailriders.org , there is someone sell the compression and rebound damper for 100 dollars.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Can anyone verify which rebound damper is present in the Lyrik R, the 11.4015.416.010 or 11.4015.416.020? (former is for motion control, latter is for mission control).

Secondly, can anyone confirm why running mission control compression damper with motion control rebound damper is incompatible?

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The one that comes on the Lyrik R is the single flow rebound damper (for Motion Control). The rebound damper designed for Mission Control is dual flow and substantially larger. The Mission Control system will not receive enough flow to perform 100% without the dual flow rebound.

And Specialized told me (and everyone else) that the actual warranty is for forks of up to +10%, they just printed the manual wrong. So 170mm is a-ok (which makes sense considering the EVO uses a 170mm with the same frame).

Rep Power Infinity +2
    MK_

I fitted the 11.4015.415.020 compression damper and the 11.4015.416.020 rebound damper to my solo Air. The stock rebound damper that I removed was a lot smaller than the new one, as for a part number I have no idea
    Last edited by brad72; 01-26-2011 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I removed the 10mm spacer on my Lyrik R and upgraded to the mission control DH/rebound dampers. All I can say is wow! Super plush and tuneable. Handles great with the 170 and still climbs well too.