mtbr member

"Low Budget" '07 Stumpy FSR Pro

So,

I'm getting a GREAT deal on a 2007 Stumpjumper FSR Pro Frame (includes Rear Shock, Cane Creek headset, Thomson Seatpost, & Front derailleur). I'll be moving pieces and parts from my 2006 FSR XC Pro for the build: SRAM X.9 Rear Derailleur & Shifters, Avid BB7 Brakes, Wheelset, Shimano Cranks, etc. One item I'd like to change (if my budget allows it) would be the fork. The FSR XC Pro came with a Rockshox Recon 351 Air set @ 100mm. I can have the spacer removed and bring it to 130mm.

OR, I can buy a new fork. However, I'd like to keep it at $300 or below for a new fork, go light weight (around 4.2lbs or less) and have travel at 140 or 130mm.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

(Thank you)
    2015 Specialized FATBOY Easton Carbon Seatpost SRAM X7 Triggers
    2014 Specialized CRUX PRO SRAM 2x10 Force, CG-R Post

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Do you like the Recon? If you don't like it now, you're not going to like it with more travel. If you do like it, and it suits the type of riding you will be doing.. I would say just get the spacer removed and switch it over. You're probably not going to find a fork you will like for that price range unless it's used. I heard the Recon wasn't a bad fork though. Or if at 130mm, you are unhappy with the Recon on the new frame.. you could be saving for a more expensive fork, but you could still ride the bike in the mean time while you're waiting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good luck finding a 300 dollar shock that will fit our specific needs. At this price you are going to be losing something in one area or another. That being said you probably can get something that will fit your needs if you jump up just another 100 dollars or so. In the long run if you divide it out over the life of the bike it will be worth it. I would try your recon first and see how it goes, then if not happy start shopping. I would not buy used unless I knew the person even then used suspension can have issues..

mtbr member
    I love my 07 FSR, so go for it. As mentioned, your fork selection would be limited. You might be able to get a Manitou Minute 02 or 03 in that price range. If I could buy whatever I wanted, I would get another TALAS like I have now. Although I doubt it would be in that price range.

Are you gonna eat that?
    I say stick with what you have until you can afford what you want.

Don't blow $300 on a fork you don't really want, save until you can buy the TALAS or a similar unit.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies.

I agree that for now it makes sense to keep the Recon. It's a 351 Dual Air, so really not a bad fork. It's not a Talas, but it's also not $700 either.

Now, next year I'll have a new budget and can drop a bit more cash...
    2015 Specialized FATBOY Easton Carbon Seatpost SRAM X7 Triggers
    2014 Specialized CRUX PRO SRAM 2x10 Force, CG-R Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho
    Thanks for all the replies.

I agree that for now it makes sense to keep the Recon. It's a 351 Dual Air, so really not a bad fork. It's not a Talas, but it's also not $700 either.

Now, next year I'll have a new budget and can drop a bit more cash...
    I've seen coil Revelations on eBay for around $400 or less...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You talk to some sellers on eBay and they'll sell you a TALAS 32 for 375
    Riding and loving it

mtbr member
    Manitou Minutes can regularly be had in the $300 or less range. air or spring coil. they are excellent forks. I also think the SPV system is the best and most adjustable pedal platform on the market. alteast circa 2003-2004 (have a 4 way shock and a minute fork from those years) they may have streamlined the adjustments in newer years, hopefully not though.

right now you can get an 05 minute online for $200. try greenfish to get one with an uncut steerer.