mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Low BB on the Stumpy FSR 120? Or is it just me?

When riding a very slow-speed, technical rocky section of trail last night (my first on my new FSR 120) I noticed that I was hitting alot of rocks with my pedals, much more than on my old bike. The BB seems about the same on both bikes (around 13.3") but the old one was a 4" bike, and of course the FSR 120 is almost 5". Is the BB on the 120 about standard, or is it relatively low for a 5" bike? Also, is there any way to set up the Septune so it isn't so plush at the beginning of the stroke? I think that may be part of the problem: it goes through the initial 2/3 of the stroke pretty quick on most any size bump. I am running 145psi (I weigh about 150). Also, maybe the stem choice was too long for technical riding (100mm). What do you think?

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Check your manuals..

Hello, make sure you read your Specialized and Fox manuals carefully... It will make a big difference in you getting your set up right. You want to check that you're running 20-25% sag. The 20% number may help. At around 150 lbs. (get geared up and then weigh yourself) you can start with 155 psi. Good luck, hope this helps.
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    When riding a very slow-speed, technical rocky section of trail last night (my first on my new FSR 120) I noticed that I was hitting alot of rocks with my pedals, much more than on my old bike. The BB seems about the same on both bikes (around 13.3")
    The 120 BB is 12.8"-yes its low, but the 100 had a 12.5" BB!! (I have both)
    Goes w/ the territory on these bikes.
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ehh beat up cranks and peds are sexy anyways. Pretty soon youll beable to see inside the hollowness of the hollotech cranks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLX
    ehh beat up cranks and peds are sexy anyways. Pretty soon youll beable to see inside the hollowness of the hollotech cranks.
    Yup i smack mine every ride.

Sweat is just fat crying.

Me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk
    Yup i smack mine every ride.
    I've got an Enduro, and I hit the poor pedals or the ends of the cranks all the time. I've changed from 180 cranks to 175, and that didn't help much.

I had to ask Crank Bros for the newer, harder spindles because I bent a couple on the Eggbeaters.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member

Not as much

I used to suffer from peddle smack when I first started riding my SJ 120. Now I don't feel notice it as much. I think its a combination of things 1. my technique is better 2. I'm not as sensitvie to it. 3. I ride with a stiffer septune than recommended.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When riding a very slow-speed, technical rocky section of trail last night (my first on my new FSR 120) I noticed that I was hitting alot of rocks with my pedals, much more than on my old bike. The BB seems about the same on both bikes (around 13.3") but the old one was a 4" bike, and of course the FSR 120 is almost 5". Is the BB on the 120 about standard, or is it relatively low for a 5" bike? Also, is there any way to set up the Septune so it isn't so plush at the beginning of the stroke? I think that may be part of the problem: it goes through the initial 2/3 of the stroke pretty quick on most any size bump. I am running 145psi (I weigh about 150). Also, maybe the stem choice was too long for technical riding (100mm). What do you think?
    Try a firmer setting on the Septune, if it's "too plush" now, then adjust the air pressure to get close to full travel from big hits.

Sweat is just fat crying.

Excuse my ig-ner-unce...

...what is a Septune?

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Nothing here
    It's the rear shock that came on the 2005 Stumpy. Send the shock to PUSH. They can sort the whole blow through the travel too often prob. I sent mine in and would never ride a regular septune again.

mtbr member

its the shock

[QUOTE=Finch Platte]...what is a Septune?

The Septune is a 7 setting shock manufactured by Fox for Specialized. The reviews on the Septune have not been good. Mostly there is no lock out so you can't turn your bike into a hard tail. Most of the quality shocks have that feature. Seven settings appears to be over kill. Its hard to feel the difference between say setting 1, 2, and 3 etc. There's alot of stuff writen on this board. Look it up.