mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Looks like I broke another one

About a year ago I had a Camber Comp 29 that I had been riding less than a year. Found a crack in the non drive side chain stay. Warrantied with a replacement rear triangle (I was not a happy camper since it was flat black and did not match my frame that was black and white but gloss). Brought the bike home and rode it once to hear a terrible creaking noise. Crack in main triangle near bottom bracket (probably there before but not noticed). Warrantied entire bike frame and received a beautiful Camber Carbon Pro frame with new Fox auto sag shock (red). Took me a while to get used to the red verses black and white and the gain of weight. Well, about a week ago I was riding at a trail that we hardly ever ride. Finished ride up and was putting my bike in the bike rack when I noticed a "disturbance in the force", not really, just a defect in the finish I had never seen before. Bottom of seat tube actually in main frame where the seat post and top tube come together. I called my buddy over and asked him what he thought. Crack is all he said! We pulled the seat tube and collar and sure enough there was a hairline seam (crack) all the way up the seat post part of the frame under the collar. Only on the outside, shined a light in the tube and there's nothing there. Carried bike to local shop that did the first warranty. Waiting on response from Specialized. Very depressing, had to ride the hard tail over the week end and miss the Camber.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The crack may only be in the clearcoat. If you checked inside and there was no crack there may not be any structural damage. The LBS should get it taken care of though
    2015 Epic Expert WC
    Sworks Phenom saddle, EC70 flat bars and seatpost, crankbrothers candy 3's

mtbr member
    I was hoping for the first but expecting the second. The wait is killing me, no word still going on week three.

mtbr member
    In carbon frame construction, the carbon pieces in the layup will never be a continuous piece and has to have a seam or over lap point. These are often made in less seen areas.

Also, the molds must have a split line, which will run perfectly in the middle of the frame over its entirety. As the carbon is compressed against the surface of the mold in the curing process, some resin will squeeze into this seam and forms a ridge. This is call "flash" and must be sanded down after the cure process. If not done perfectly, a slight ridge line will remain and the clear coating can exaggerate the effect. These will often look like a crack in the frame as the light reflects off the shimmering carbon.

A flash ridge is sometimes seen on carbon rims and is often mistaken for a crack. Both my Roval Carbon SL 29 and Carbon Trail SL 29er rims have this.

I suspect that your Camber has this as well.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    The middle of the frame is exactly where the crack has appeared. Starting at the base of the seat post and up the seat post(frame surrounding seat post). However, what I first noticed is the v-shaped deformity at the base of the seat post and only upon removing the seat post and seat clamp did I see the hairline crack going up the portion of the frame that wraps around the post. The difficult part is waiting to hear from the shop about the decision from Specialized. I am not very patient.

mtbr member
    Just heard from bike shop. New frame scheduled to arrive Thursday. Same frame. Same color. Outstanding!!!

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You must be a big guy?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    just heard from bike shop. New frame scheduled to arrive thursday. Same frame. Same color. Outstanding!!!
    awesome!
    2015 Epic Expert WC
    Sworks Phenom saddle, EC70 flat bars and seatpost, crankbrothers candy 3's

mtbr member

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not that big then. Sounds like you've just been really unlucky.

mtbr member
    Or lucky depending how you look at it. I bought a alloy framed bike that I broke and got a carbon fiber frame as a replacement, twice. I think I'm doing OK. The bike shop guy says I just ride em, not anything can be done about it. And they are not known to break in that area either. Upgrading some stuff while I get the new frame, Stans Crests, a type 2 Shimano rear derailleur, cassette and chain. The original Specializes that came with my comp are due for replacement.

mtbr member
    Good news arrived last evening. Shop called, Stan's Crests's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. All other "parts" should be in shop and new replacement build should be ready Thursday or Friday. i hope Thursday since I have a home football game that I must attend Friday night so picking up a bike is not an option, and I do so want to ride Saturday. Either way I'll ride if I get the repairs on my backup bike, the Stumpy, made. Have issue dropping chain from middle to small ring at real inconvenient times plus a tire that does not want to hold air, is worn out and another that is just not up to the task at hand. New tires ordered, from Specialized, new narrow wide Wolf tooth 32T front ring ordered from price point and all should be ready if I find the time for a Saturday ride.