mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Looking at used Specialized Era Comp for my wife--a few quesitons

I'm hoping ya'll can help me out. My wife is interested in a used Specialized Era Comp FSR. She rented one back in 2009 and the shop model is available for purchase. This has the older style brain shock that is part of the rear triangle.

My questions: Are parts for servicing this shock available? Are instructions for servicing the shock available--this bike is long out of warantee. Any issues on these bikes I should be looking out for?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    my wife has the 2010 Expert model so may not be directly comparable, but has worked flawlessly for what it's worth. that being said, i have the 2011 Stumpy FSR Elite and absolutely would not buy the 'brain' technology again. has failed twice already, and needs to be repaired again (will bring it in at end of season to avoid downtime without a bike). Spec makes great bikes with amazing equipment levels for the price points, but the 'brain' is hit-miss from what i've learned. if you are willing to swallow ~$200 per season of suspension repair and ~3 weeks of downtime per season, then go for it, otherwise i'd keep looking around. if you're getting a really good deal, then just factor in the ongoing maintenance (no, you cannot do the work yourself on the unit) and accept that as a 'potential' incremental cost. aside from that, can only speak to the 2010 version my wife rides, and the geometry, handling, weight, etc have proven to be very good for her.

personally, i'd avoid the 'brain' on any future bike for myself since i've completely lost faith in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Depends which shock

If it has the Special branded X-fusion built AFR rear shock I would avoid it like an STD. If it has a Fox they will be able to service and maintain it just like any other shock.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to look more carefully at which shock is on the bike. It is the 2008 Era Comp model.